Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
I was on IAD-SFO flight that deboarded due to "engine leak".

The flight was not yet cancelled, but I asked to be rebooked on a flight leaving an hour later.

Paid business on original flight, only coach on replacement. Compensable?
Refund of the fare difference and at best a small customer service gesture, if requested, for the small delay.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
I was on IAD-SFO flight that deboarded due to "engine leak".

The flight was not yet cancelled, but I asked to be rebooked on a flight leaving an hour later.

Paid business on original flight, only coach on replacement. Compensable?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Refund of the fare difference and at best a small customer service gesture, if requested, for the small delay.
P.S. the math on the fare difference is very favorable to UA so don't expect much there either. Just to confirm: all F seats were full on the new flight at the time of your rebooking and you were toward the top of the upgrade list (behind only other IRROPd passengers), correct? If not then something wasn't done correctly and I would complain about that.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:11 pm

Should I ask for compensation?

1. KWI-IAD 1/12 delayed for 4 hrs, missed all connections, finally left IAD at 5 p.m. ( instead of 8 a.m. ) in middle seat. Had connecting flight on US and lost that one. UA did pay for hotel at LAX and received a $ 6.00 food coupon.
2. IAD-LAX 2/2 delayed 3 hrs, missed US connection out of LAX.
3. LAX-HKG 2/5 delayed 4 hrs out of LAX, Captain walked off the plane, disembarked at 12:15 when it was clear that I would never make the connection at SFO. Trip cancelled. Had to pay for one way car rental and hotel to get back to our daughter in Arizona.
I am a bit teed off that I have received no communication from UA about any of these delays. One E-mail on 2/5 stating that the LAX-SFO flight would leave earlier than 11:13 a.m., which it didn't. Otherwise no acknowledgements, no
apologies or any offers at all.
Should I complain about each situation separately? Tie them all together?
Had they offered anything I would probably be fine, but to completely ignore everything?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I am a bit teed off that I have received no communication from UA about any of these delays. One E-mail on 2/5 stating that the LAX-SFO flight would leave earlier than 11:13 a.m., which it didn't. Otherwise no acknowledgements, no
apologies or any offers at all.
Should I complain about each situation separately? Tie them all together?
Had they offered anything I would probably be fine, but to completely ignore everything?
It's unusual for UA to proactively contact pax following a delay or cancel. You can wait forever or you can e-mail 1kvoice. I would do them all separately, shorter e-mails get better results. You don't say whether the causes of the delay were mx, wx, or something else. If wx, no compensation.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's unusual for UA to proactively contact pax following a delay or cancel. You can wait forever or you can e-mail 1kvoice. I would do them all separately, shorter e-mails get better results. You don't say whether the causes of the delay were mx, wx, or something else. If wx, no compensation.
1, mx
2. mx
3. Pilot refused to fly.

I read many times from fellow FTers that E-mail was already there upon arrival from delayed flight, so was hoping I would get something as well. I certainly am not the DYKWIA type, trust me, but I figured as a 1K for nearly 10 years I would get a little attention.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by wto605
P.S. the math on the fare difference is very favorable to UA so don't expect much there either. Just to confirm: all F seats were full on the new flight at the time of your rebooking and you were toward the top of the upgrade list (behind only other IRROPd passengers), correct? If not then something wasn't done correctly and I would complain about that.
I think everything was done correctly; I was rebooked near the close of boarding for the replacement and was #8.

Though wound up being little or no food, even for purchase, because the replacement ultimately took in about 100 refugees from the original.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I read many times from fellow FTers that E-mail was already there upon arrival from delayed flight, so was hoping I would get something as well.
I've gotten exactly one of those e-mails, ever. If it's not waiting for you when you land, it's not happening.

I figured as a 1K for nearly 10 years I would get a little attention.
There are tens of thousands of 1Ks. And dozens if not hundreds of delayed/cancelled flights every day. This is not a realistic expectation.

Although it was nice the one time I got the proactive e-mail. Too bad UA apparently doesn't have the CS resources to implement that practice more broadly.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I booked an award ticket for my wife SFO-ICN-CTU in saver business. The ICN-CTU leg was on OZ. The SFO-ICN flight was delayed for maintenance by 4 hours and she missed her connection by ~15 minutes. She was re-booked the next day ICN-PEK-CTU, since there were no non-stops the next day. ICN-PEK was in O on OZ, but PEK-CTU was in Y on CA. UA provided a room in the transfer hotel at ICN and a few meal vouchers (The ICN-PEK flight did not leave until ~1 pm). The compensation offer is ~6000 miles to her account or a $125 ecert for arriving at her destination ~20 hours late. Is this sufficient or should I ask for more? She has no status with United.

Also the reservation now displays record is now in 'past reservations' even though the return is not for several weeks. Is this just an IT glitch or do I need to call and have this fixed.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:28 am

LAX-HKG 2/5 delayed 4 hrs out of LAX, Captain walked off the plane, disembarked at 12:15 when it was clear that I would never make the connection at SFO. Trip cancelled. Had to pay for one way car rental and hotel to get back to our daughter in Arizona.
Just received compensation offer from UA : $ 100.00 cert or 5000 miles.
Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Absolutely pathetic.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
That's borderline outrageous.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:56 pm

Has anyone ever tried to "appeal" a compensation, in other words asked to up the offer? I haven't accepted yet, weighing if I have any options. Besides being pathetic, the system seems to be a bit inconsistent. Mrs. EX got 8750 miles for a delayed flight, and 5000 is the best for a cancelled flight not due to mx but due to a UA employee who just walked off the flight deck?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA252 HNL-IAH mechanical cancel Sunday 2/8.
$300 voucher
Oceanfront room ("all they had left") at the Marriott Waikiki Beach
2 Taxi vouchers
$21 meal vouchers (75% of breakfast buffet)

When it looked like pilots were gonna time out after multiple 1/2 hour delays trying to fix navigation issue, I booked Saver First award for tonight's flight (I was using RPU for the original flight). Got refunded HNL-IAH portion of the ticket and RPU, kept return IAH-HNL F seat. Handled by UC agent who stayed 2 hours late to help with be-booking/vouchers. They brought out non-alcoholic drinks, chips, cookies for people in boarding area. The new Kona Brewing bar next to gate 9 (our gate) made $$$$$$$$$$$. Original departure scheduled 7:55pm, flight cancelled about midnight.

By deftly grabbing the Saver F for tonight's flight before last night's was cancelled, I pretty much saved myself from a coach seat and relegated someone else to that horror.

Enjoy the day - gotta walk across the street to the beach now

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 9, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Enjoy the day - gotta walk across the street to the beach now
Now you're just rubbing it in
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K - million miler
Has anyone ever tried to "appeal" a compensation, in other words asked to up the offer? I haven't accepted yet, weighing if I have any options. Besides being pathetic, the system seems to be a bit inconsistent. Mrs. EX got 8750 miles for a delayed flight, and 5000 is the best for a cancelled flight not due to mx but due to a UA employee who just walked off the flight deck?
Yes - I had to do this a few times and it does help. Being a 1k for many years might work against you (us) as they know we tend to be pretty loyal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.