Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by transportprof
Where is "the Loft"? It sounds a alot nicer than the SAS lounge which is where I spent time during my last transit of BRU. No showers or bubbly were apparent there!
The "loft" is the *A lounge on the 2nd level... it's kind of hidden, but it is quite nice once you find it. They usually have a nice assortment of fresh baked breads (probably from a local bakery), as well as a good beer selection in the refrigerator. The lounge is quiet and a good place to spend a couple hours on a connection.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Flight got delayed due to mechanical which resulted in a missed connection and a forced overnight. The interesting thing is that the plane was supposed to be a different flight and returned to gate earlier so it appears they did some substitution and the plane didn't get fixed in time.

What would be a fair compensation to ask for?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zerolife
Flight got delayed due to mechanical which resulted in a missed connection and a forced overnight. The interesting thing is that the plane was supposed to be a different flight and returned to gate earlier so it appears they did some substitution and the plane didn't get fixed in time.

It really doesn't matter what you ask for. There is a matrix with types of problems, status level, and fare purchased that should govern United's compensation back to you. Just write up the facts and be patient. Whining, threatening, or snarkiness could reduce your compensation. So if you want the best chance at a good result, just send in a short and sweet explanation of what went wrong.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by zerolife

Prepare to be under-whelmed
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
Prepare to be under-whelmed
Under-whelmed is too favorable.

Prepare to be angry!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Under-whelmed is too favorable.

Prepare to be angry!
A few years ago, a 4+ hour delay would elicit a compensation immediately and without asking. It happened a couple times to me where I already had compensation via email before my delayed flight landed.

With the exception of one flight I was on last year that depressurized after take-off and was forced to land back in CLE, I have had to file complaints to customer care, even for over-night delays related to aircraft mx, in order to even be noticed.... and frankly be only comped $200 maximum for the worst instances. A couple years ago, I received two $300 TCVA credits via email immediately without asking when I had 4 hour delays due to a fueling issue and another unknown mechanical issue (both out of ORD).

Not sure if GA's are capable of initiating compensation for passengers of egregious delays, or if UA corporate has to do that....

These days.... I have to get really angry... then file a complaint (usually with a list of past PRN's that had major delays where UA was at fault).
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:21 am

United.com/appreciation: site won't verify me to offer compensation choice.

Long story short. Went to United web site to lodge a complaint about a 5 hour mechanical delay. Received the following email from United:

"Dear Mr. ******:

We apologize for the interruption of your travel plans and for any inconvenience caused.

We value your business and would like the opportunity to express our appreciation. We invite you to visit united.com/appreciation to select goodwill compensation. To review your options, please have the following information available before accessing the website: flight number, origin and destination and travel dates, as well as either a 1) confirmation number 2) ticket number or 3) MileagePlus number.

We thank you for your business and loyalty as a valued United MileagePlus Silver member.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.

Regards,

R** O*******
Customer Care
Case ID ******"

Went to united.com/appreciation, as instructed, entered all data many different ways (ticket number, confirmation, mileage plus number). My first name on the boarding pass has my full first name and the first initial of my middle name. Tried it with and without middle initial. Tried all caps etc.....

It still cannot verify.

What do I do now? Are there any tricks to get it to work? Last time I did this it worked without issue (back in November 2014). Is the web site messed up, and should I try later?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:13 am

Send a note to customercare through the website and they will manually give you a travel certificate.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
A few years ago, a 4+ hour delay would elicit a compensation immediately and without asking. It happened a couple times to me where I already had compensation via email before my delayed flight landed.
Not sure these days, but this happened to me in June last year. So 9 months ago. 4 hour MX departure delay on Republic out of YYZ. Landed about 3.5 hours late. Email was in my inbox at landing. Believe it was $250 as a gold at the time. First time i had ever been given something like this proactively.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
5k RDM for yet another baggage snafu coupled with UA losing my complaint. I just want them to fix the daggon baggage handling!
So a week later, I received another note (this one from [email protected] instead of the prior Customer Care one), apparently responding to my original complaint filed with 1K Voice way back on 2/23--the same one 1K Voice later claimed didn't exist in their system.

3k RDM and a boilerplate apology. If I hadn't already received the other 5k, I'd respond and say, "Not enough!" But here they have now given me comp twice for (mostly) one issue--albeit I did send a later complaint about the lack of response, too.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Coworker flew UA a couple of weeks ago and ran into troubles. Figured I'd post his compensation story. He's a GM

UA 772 LAX-IAD
was suppose to leave 1115pm 3/1.
Delayed due to crew availability (one crew no show)
~130am Brought out a cart with drinks and some food off the plane
Finally cancelled at 230am 3/2

No hotel room. Gave you a discounted voucher

Rescheduled entire plane to 3/2 1pm, arrive IAD ~845pm
very few other options due to the snow storm

Got a $7 food voucher good for 24 hours at LAX

before landing told to go to united.com/appreciation
got the option of 6250 miles or $125 voucher
He told me that UA said there weren't any hotel rooms available at their contracted hotels so that's why only the discount cert. He ended up just going home.

So, almost a 14 hour non-WX delay got $125 or 6250 miles for a GM. He ended up missing an entire day of work which was supposed to be the dry run for a customer demo the next day. I think he took the miles (not loyal to any one airline really and doesn't fly personally that much, just for work were the eCert wouldn't help)
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:32 am

Entertainment system was down for 90% of the passengers and seat reclined too much, so I didn't recline seat at all during the 5 hr. flight IAH-BOG. 6,500 miles (Silver), and a free drink from Flight Attendant.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
goalie-sis (general member) flew UA803 NRT-SIN March 14

Delayed 3h, 55 minutes due to late inbound arrival IAD-NRT

5,000 RDM's posted as "customer care" today (March, 15)*

*flight miles haven't posted but the "we're sorry miles" posted
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA 1k, SW A-list
My wife was flying solo with our 6-month old to attend a funeral (short flight - 1 hour). Paid extra (~$35) for economy plus seating so she could have an aisle seat. Checked in day before and boarding pass had correct seat. When she got to the airport, they switched her to a window seat. On the return trip, SAME thing happened.

Emailed united, got an apology (and a reminder that seat assignments are not guaranteed) and $150 voucher.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
A very infrequent flyer friend of mine was booked on a United Express flight MCI-IAD a couple of weeks ago that was canceled with the reason being "operational." The weather was crummy, but flights were going in and out of both airports, so I suspect the cancelation may have been because they didn't have a plane or a crew.

I know that cancelation due to "weather" means you're on your own but not sure about "operational." She was rebooked and got home the next day since the only thing they could offer the same day was a flight that arrived at BWI a few minutes before midnight and they couldn't promise her a way home from there. Of course they didn't volunteer to pay for the extra night she had to spend in her hotel in Kansas City.

Is this the sort of thing for which reimbursement is authorized? If so, where does one start the process? In 50 years of flying, I've never had this happen to me so it's something with which I have no experience and can't give her any advice other than "maybe - I'll ask on Flyer Talk." She isn't a Mileage Plus memeber, and I don't know what class her ticket was, but it was coach and cheap.
They should have offered a hotel if the flight was cancelled due to operations. You can always write in and ask for reimbursement, and they'll probably counter-offer with vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.