Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Is the compensation in lieu of EU261 compensation? Don't forget to file a claim for that as well.

The voucher is same as cash, and can be used for other people as well.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by aacharya
Vouchers are essentially cash. Except that non UA metal itineraries are usually not eligible and the voucher expires in one year.

You can use the voucher for anybody and there are no blackout dates.
If you take the voucher, as mentioned above, it's like cash and is applicable on any ticket that you want to buy. Also, you have to USE the voucher within a year of issue, and when you book your next trip it can be for up to a year out (so, you really have two years from issue to actually utilize that value). You don't have to travel within the one year period.

On the other hand if you already have a bunch of miles you could take the 30K and use that for a future upgrade or booking. Based on United's new mileage accrual, you would have to spend at least $6,000 to accumulate that many miles.

Pick your poison and enjoy the compensation.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:56 am

You can use the voucher across multiple tickets (as long as you only use one voucher) and there are no blackout dates.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
New math says take the miles!

If you have no status with UA, $1000 will earn you 5000 RDMs. If you are 1K, $1000 will earn you 11,000 RDMs.
and a trip somewhere.

With $1000 (cash not the vouchure) -- fairly easy to buy 50K miles.

The old math is still working for me.

Originally Posted by dukesantos
If you take the voucher, as mentioned above, it's like cash and is applicable on any ticket that you want to buy. ....
Originally Posted by steaminer
You can use the voucher across multiple tickets (as long as you only use one voucher) and there are no blackout dates.
Just to re-state, the voucher is restricted to all UA operated itins.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I had a 3 hour delay yesterday from DEN to SGU. Got offered $100 or 5000 miles.

Earlier flight same day from DRO to DEN was also delayed 3 hours because of mechanical, but didnt get any email for compensation. Is it only one per day? Or can I email customer care about the first flight that was delayed? I would have missed my connection had it not been for the 3 hour delay on the second flight!

Last edited by Chukiechz; Mar 26, 2015 at 8:31 pm
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chukiechz

Earlier flight same day from DRO to DEN was also delayed 3 hours because of mechanical, but didnt get any email for compensation. Is it only one per day? Or can I email customer care about the first flight that was delayed? I would have missed my connection had it not been for the 3 hour delay on the second flight!
I thought that there was a 4 hour cut off on compensation for flight delays. < 4 hours late = bupkes on my travels. Did anything else go wrong with the flight that you got compensation for?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by transportprof
I thought that there was a 4 hour cut off on compensation for flight delays. < 4 hours late = bupkes on my travels. Did anything else go wrong with the flight that you got compensation for?
Not that I was aware of. Maybe because we got in super late?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
Not that I was aware of. Maybe because we got in super late?
depends on a number of factors, mostly on the coded reason for the delay. For maintenance and other issues within UAs control you will often see a compensation offer, for uncontrollable issues in my experience only when it turns into very long delays.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:00 pm

5000 miles for 3-hour delay?

I only got 7500 miles for 21-hour delay on a TPAC flight.

Perhaps I should contact UA again to demand 35,000 miles in compensation?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Insane amount

IAD-EWR, $750 travel certificate for giving up a seat on the crappy Q200. It was, was really insane. I was lucky to get to the gate a few minutes before boarding.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find a similar thread.

Frankfurt-SFO was delayed by 5 hours. I had used miles to pay for this ticket so obviously, a refund of any kind is out.

They have offered me either...

-$1000 travel coupon good for a year
-30,000 miles

I live in France, am from N.California so we fly United a lot. The problem with the voucher is that I'm nervous about black out periods. I'm also hesitant, since I usually fly with my three kids, then that would obligate us to buy other United tickets when they might not be the best deal. Can the voucher "spill over" to cover some of the cost of another family member?

But then again, I rarely can use my miles because of my offspring, who are still in school, obligates us to fly high season when there are few opportunities to cash in miles.

I only was able to finally use these because I flew alone to surprise my sister on her 50th birthday, which was last week. I left the kids with the hubby but usually we all travel around Xmas or summer vacations.

Thanks for your feedback!
Take the money, you can use that when you to travel regardless of the season.

I feel for you, I was on the same delayed flight, ended up arriving LAX at 1:00AM, (scheduled at 7:30PM) for a nice dangerous (due to lack of sleep) drive home. I really do not appreciate United putting me is such a risky situation.

Nothing was offered at FRA, ditto for arrival in SFO. "appreciation" website not working when I enter my details. Written complaint (sent 3/14) to "customer care" unanswered. Launched DOT complaint yesterday.

My reading of EU261 http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm seems to indicate that it applies to ANY flight departing the EU, regardless of carrier. In this case it would be 600 Euros, I'm not sure the full refund would apply, even though the flight was more than 5 hours late. There is a caveat on flights arriving to the EU that limits it to EU based carriers. Can anyone clarify this for us?

Last edited by transportbiz; Mar 29, 2015 at 11:56 am Reason: remove merging as they were not related posts by any means thani you
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Take the money, you can use that when you to travel regardless of the season.

I feel for you, I was on the same delayed flight, ended up arriving LAX at 1:00AM, (scheduled at 7:30PM) for a nice dangerous (due to lack of sleep) drive home. I really do not appreciate United putting me is such a risky situation.

Nothing was offered at FRA, ditto for arrival in SFO. "appreciation" website not working when I enter my details. Written complaint (sent 3/14) to "customer care" unanswered. Launched DOT complaint yesterday.

My reading of EU261 http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm seems to indicate that it applies to ANY flight departing the EU, regardless of carrier. In this case it would be 600 Euros, I'm not sure the full refund would apply, even though the flight was more than 5 hours late. There is a caveat on flights arriving to the EU that limits it to EU based carriers. Can anyone clarify this for us?
FRA-SFO is covered no matter the carrier; SFO-FRA only on European carriers.
600 EUR cash ($660 debit card from UA) or $1000 travel voucher is currently what you get. DOT won't really help here. If UA denies the claim use one of the many UA claim processors.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
FRA-SFO is covered no matter the carrier; SFO-FRA only on European carriers.
600 EUR cash ($660 debit card from UA) or $1000 travel voucher is currently what you get. DOT won't really help here. If UA denies the claim use one of the many UA claim processors.
Thank you for the information, yeah, I know the DOT doesn't intervene directly, but they do track and trend complaints, and forward your complaint to the airline, where typically, it does finally get some attention.

{update}

Finally got the united.com/appreciation to work, they claim only that it was "late arriving aircraft" though I know it was maintenance that caused it to be late in arriving.

The offer was $200 evoucher or 10,000 miles. Seems not to be in compliance at all with EU261?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 29, 2015 at 2:19 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by transportbiz
.... Seems not to be in compliance at all with EU261?
The thread for EU261 issues is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-united.html.

If you would like you query moved there, just ask a Moderator {"triangle with red "!"}.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The thread for EU261 issues is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-united.html.

If you would like you query moved there, just ask a Moderator {"triangle with red "!"}.
It's partly EU261, but also here, I'm somewhat perplexed with one passenger here traveling on an award ticket getting an offer so much higher than the one I got for the same flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.