Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In the old days, UA might have offered a customer gesture for your inconvenience but not a "refund." No guess if that would still fly.
Spoke to a lovely agent on the premier line and was offered 5,000 miles as a customer service gesture for our inconvenience, just as you suggested I might be. I quickly and gratefully accepted.

Just perfect, both in tone and quantity.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:01 am

It seems pretty common for United to offer compensation at $1 voucher vs. 50 miles ratio, is there a consensus here on which one should take purely from value point of view? Voucher or Miles. In my case is $350 vs. 17,500 miles...
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by presario1626
It seems pretty common for United to offer compensation at $1 voucher vs. 50 miles ratio, is there a consensus here on which one should take purely from value point of view? Voucher or Miles. In my case is $350 vs. 17,500 miles...
It's truly a matter of personal preference but if was me, being cash poor (I'm unemployed ) and milage rich, I would take the $350 voucher as if it's a TCVA voucher with a PIN vs one that starts with "016", you get full PQD's based on the ticket price plus the vouchers (both types) are transferable so you can use it towards a ticket for someone else (and where goalie-parents fly SFO-FLL every year for the 3-4 months, I use my larger certs for their tix to stay in the will )
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is the 1K Voice email no longer monitored? I used to get responses from them but sent an email in March and still no response. Wonder if I missed the announcement that it was gone.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Is the 1K Voice email no longer monitored? I used to get responses from them but sent an email in March and still no response. Wonder if I missed the announcement that it was gone.
I had three exchanges with 1K voice over the past month, all on the same issue. It took three tries to get it resolved, but eventually they came through.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'll keep trying then! Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
$1000 travel voucher is the EU reg 261 compensation. UA offers that in lieu of cash.
Can you let me know where you see that $1,000 travel voucher in lieu of cash is EC261 compliant? I have only seen cash mentioned in the regulation.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TheCount2
Originally Posted by cfischer
$1000 travel voucher is the EU reg 261 compensation. UA offers that in lieu of cash.
Can you let me know where you see that $1,000 travel voucher in lieu of cash is EC261 compliant? I have only seen cash mentioned in the regulation.
I'm wondering if the $1,000 travel voucher is UA's way to try and buy-off dissuade one from filing an EU261 claim as it's always better to offer a voucher and hope for breakage than to pay out actual cash
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Bags delayed about 8hrs in PBI; sent in the boilerplate baggage form and received a $100 check (signed by smisek and Rainey!) within two weeks.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:33 pm
hjf

Programs: UA 2P, BA
No IFE LAX-MEL in J

When I got to the lounge last night in LAX, they informed me I was in one of 3 rows in J that would not have IFE.

As a courtesy, the station issued a $500 travel voucher and said corporate would be in touch.

Given that this was a paid (and very expensive) ticket, what can I expect to receive from corporate?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
$500? Run, don't walk, to the bank
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton
Bags delayed about 8hrs in PBI; sent in the boilerplate baggage form and received a $100 check (signed by smisek and Rainey!) within two weeks.
Does this mean that neither Smisek nor Rainey trust each other to part with United's precious cash? So they both have to sign the checks that disburse every penny that could otherwise have gone to the bottom line?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by transportprof
Does this mean that neither Smisek nor Rainey trust each other to part with United's precious cash? So they both have to sign the checks that disburse every penny that could otherwise have gone to the bottom line?
two signatures required:

Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hjf
As a courtesy, the station issued a $500 travel voucher and said corporate would be in touch.
$500 for no video in J? The inconsistencies are just staggering. There were several reports last year of paid Global First pax getting only $500 e-cert for a nonfunctional seat, video screen, and light.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
$500? Run, don't walk, to the bank
Seriously.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
$500 for no video in J? The inconsistencies are just staggering. There were several reports last year of paid Global First pax getting only $500 e-cert for a nonfunctional seat, video screen, and light.

Seriously.
We heard often that CO was going to cut off the compensation spiggot, tell people to pack it when things go wrong (the CO way! ). Lots of posts about how savvy this was....

Yet now, it appears the compensation is starting to creep up again. My guess is that someone finally figured out UA is having a "Houston we have a problem" issue with its customer base. When you don't compensate folks and quickly resolve issues, you (1) lose a customer, and (2) might get hammered on social media.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.