Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Happydayy
Yes, instead of 9.30pm arrival we had a 1.30AM arrival and the FAs encouraged everyone repeatedly to contact UA for compensation.
A four hour delay is compensable. A one hour delay is not.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
A four hour delay is compensable. A one hour delay is not.
Thanks for your input...I was mainly considering a complaint because it affected both flights...very annoying.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:15 pm

I had the pleasure of being on United 922 on 1/31, EWR to LHR. The flight took off from EWR on-time, but during our initial climb there was an odor near the center galley that was observed by several passengers, all the flight attendants and even one of the pilots came out to investigate (later I heard from several other passengers that the odor was electrical). Keep in mind this is a trans-atlantic flight but we kept on going. Three hours into the flight the captain came on the PA and announced the aircraft was not safe to fly over the ocean, however, they had no concerns flying over land so we would return to EWR. So after six hours on a flight, I returned back to where I started.

United was good about getting everybody rebooked on a later flight (although 10-16 hours later) then we should have arrived. I received an automated proactive email from United apologizing for the inconvenience and it offereed 2500 miles or a $125 travel voucher as compensation. To me this is laughable as I see people getting just as much for broken headphone jacks.

What is reasonable compensation for this situation? I'm still pretty uneasy that the flight continued six hours after the problem was discovered. I believe I should get PQM's for this extra 6 hour flight segment, afterall, my butt was in the chair and a travel voucher much larger than $125.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, xcfmx

Originally Posted by xcfmx
... I received an automated proactive email from United apologizing for the inconvenience and it offereed 2500 miles or a $125 travel voucher as compensation. To me this is laughable as I see people getting just as much for broken headphone jacks.

What is reasonable compensation for this situation? I'm still pretty uneasy that the flight continued six hours after the problem was discovered. I believe I should get PQM's for this extra 6 hour flight segment, afterall, my butt was in the chair and a travel voucher much larger than $125.
The UA of today is offering much, much less compensation than even a year ago. But agree, that seem minimal. 2x or the someone with low status 3x would be my target. You can look at recent posting in this thread and last years to get calibrated.

As for the PQMs, that would be extraordinaire to get any -- you can ask but the chances are remote.

Remember the crew is just as concerned about a safe trip as you are, they are in the same aluminum tube.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, xcfmx
Thanks, long time lurker, but just now had the need to post.

The UA of today is offering much, much less compensation than even a year ago. But agree, that seem minimal. 2x or the someone with low status 3x would be my target. You can look at recent posting in this thread and last years to get calibrated.

i stand corrected, the offer was $125 travel voucher or 6250 bonus miles. So that sounds more in line with your 3x figure. I am premier silver.

As for the PQMs, that would be extraordinaire to get any -- you can ask but the chances are remote.
PQM are based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. I paid for that extra 6 hours flying around some how.. either monetarily or with time that I will not get back.

Remember the crew is just as concerned about a safe trip as you are, they are in the same aluminum tube.
Fair point. If we had more of an explanation of what happened it would probably help a ton. All I know for sure as a passenger is: strange electrical odor, continue flying, 3 hours later plane is unsafe to travel across ocean but okay to fly 3 hours back to EWR
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
i stand corrected, the offer was $125 travel voucher or 6250 bonus miles. So that sounds more in line with your 3x figure. I am premier silver.
That would be standard comp now for a six hour delay to destination. Perhaps UA incorrectly coded this incident, failing to take account for the in-flight mx, return to EWR, and subsequent longer delay to destination.

It's certainly worth writing to customer care and asking for more. I'd think something more in the $250/12,500 miles range would be appropriate for this one. Good luck!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:50 pm

I had the pleasure of being on United 922 on 1/31, EWR to LHR...

...Three hours into the flight the captain came on the PA and announced the aircraft was not safe to fly over the ocean, however, they had no concerns flying over land so we would return to EWR. So after six hours on a flight, I returned back to where I started.
Another question... do you get EQM for the extra flight?

If it landed any where else, I would think the computer would give you credit for the miles.

Anyone have that happen to them?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... PQM are based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. I paid for that extra 6 hours flying around some how.. either monetarily or with time that I will not get back.
You can try, but expect no.

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Another question... do you get EQM for the extra flight?

If it landed any where else, I would think the computer would give you credit for the miles.

Anyone have that happen to them?
Have never gotten miles for diversions, for flights that have returned to point of origin, or flights that flown circles for extend point of point. I have done all those multiple times and just received the miles per the purchased itinerary once successfully completed.

Contrary to assumption, you have never received miles for actual distance flown or length of flight. You receive a "mileage" from a database based on completing that flight (happens to nominally be the GCM). The number received has never been the actual traveled miles.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
6.5 hour delay due MX. Received "proactive" compensation email. Was offered 6250 miles or $100 e-cert. That is just completely laughable!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
No IFE on Transcon

DirectTV was out on non-PS transcon. Paid First ('A' Fare). $100 ecert given after sending complaint online.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
MEL_LAX_IAH_ATL

Experimental 789 would not start its engine in Melbourne. Tried for 3hr on the tarmac.

Ended up having to pay:

-US$41 in telephone bill to be rebooked since they did not provide a toll free number in Australia and airport staff would not process rebookings

-US$80 for a cheap hotel in LAX because they could not rebook me without an overnight. (I had no overnight layover in original itinerary)

- UA employee in LAX lied to me when he told me that I was not liable to be offered hotel when the CoC states the opposite.

I arrived exactly 50hr late in ATL. I missed two days of work.

I was offered 15,000 miles (and I had to ask for it). Are they kidding me? Am I an over-entitled flyer?

Glad I flew SQ on my way to Australia through Moscow and Singapore. Those are the Friendly Skies.

Minos
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Is there a counter with agents (not BP scanners) at MEL?
Have you emailed UA with the invoice from your hotel and PNR to get refunded the cost of the hotel?
Did your original flight on SQ have a 3 hour delay or are you just judging a trip that went off without a hitch and one that had an MX issue?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Is there a counter with agents (not BP scanners) at MEL?
Have you emailed UA with the invoice from your hotel and PNR to get refunded the cost of the hotel?
Did your original flight on SQ have a 3 hour delay or are you just judging a trip that went off without a hitch and one that had an MX issue?

I am speaking of a 50hr total delay.

Oh and by the way: it was 41c ~105F in Melbourne when we stayed 3hr on the tarmac before the crew times out trying to start those bloody Genx.

And since United wanted to use all the electric power to start the engines (I have no idea why), there was:

- no AC

and ...drum rollings...

- no electronic window shade

UA Counter would not take care of rebookings. Don't remember whether they were gone or did not want to do it. We were just given a piece of paper and a phone number. That is it. If you think that looks like Lion Air or Spirit-type of customer service, you're not alone.

Yes, I have a feeling that SQ would not have left me on the hook for 6hr of phone trying to get rebooked because the XXX-based customer service agent would not understand that a 1hr connect in LAX is just not doable with CBP and TSA. (and actually was not done despite running from Tom Bradley to UA)

Last edited by Minos; Feb 6, 2015 at 9:50 am
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
ORD-DEN paid P class early January. Three hour delay due to mechanical on the inbound from DEN. Got a call today from a CS rep who responded to my email complaint. He apologized and offered a choice of $150 voucher or 7,500 miles. Went for the $150.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Voluntary downgrade for mx?

I was on IAD-SFO flight that deboarded due to "engine leak".

The flight was not yet cancelled, but I asked to be rebooked on a flight leaving an hour later.

Paid business on original flight, only coach on replacement. Compensable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.