Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:43 am

Advice

Here is my situation. I was booked from LAX-EWR-BOM on Dec 31st. LAX-EWR got delayed by about 3 hours and I would miss my connection at EWR.
United agent at LAX booked me for the same LAX-EWR-BOM route on Jan 1st and I reached my destination 1 day late.
I was given a hotel room at LAX and $7x3 food vouchers.
I missed an important family event and a business meeting scheduled in BOM.
Does this case deserve any compensation.
Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by flyer31
Here is my situation. I was booked from LAX-EWR-BOM on Dec 31st. LAX-EWR got delayed by about 3 hours and I would miss my connection at EWR.
United agent at LAX booked me for the same LAX-EWR-BOM route on Jan 1st and I reached my destination 1 day late.
Does this case deserve any compensation
Thanks.
You do deserve something for the delay but I would also suggest that if you have important functions half way around the world, you leave a day or so earlier in anticipation that delays happen.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Does this case deserve any compensation.
Thanks.
Should've asked to be rebooked on an OAL directly from LAX versus attempt to stay with UA to get you to BOM. LAX-FRA/ICN/PEK/HKG-BOM would all have been options, and flown by Star Alliance carriers. Plus probably a better inflight experience, too.

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
You do deserve something for the delay but I would also suggest that if you have important functions half way around the world, you leave a day or so earlier in anticipation that delays happen.
Agreed.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
$350 total vouchers for broken seat (stuck in upright mode) on HNL-EWR (one-way standard award) on thanksgiving sunday. Oddly enough it was the brash FA ("you're wearing PJs in first class?") who encouraged me to seek compensation onbroad prior to departure.

Too bad I almost never fly revenue seats on UA and CS told me I can't use them for change fees on award tix.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:12 am

I was flying in J class and was told that there was no availability on any flight out of LAX and was not given a choice.
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Should've asked to be rebooked on an OAL directly from LAX versus attempt to stay with UA to get you to BOM. LAX-FRA/ICN/PEK/HKG-BOM would all have been options, and flown by Star Alliance carriers. Plus probably a better inflight experience, too.

Agreed.
True, but it just happened that I had equally important events in LA till Dec 30th. Infact this flight was supposed to make me 1k. As I flew on Jan1st I has to call United and ask for ORC.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 9, 2015 at 3:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was flying in J class and was told that there was no availability on any flight out of LAX and was not given a choice.
There is always some percentage around here who will assert it was your fault that UA failed to get you to your destination on time.

What was the cause of your delay? If not weather/ATC related, you'll probably get something like 15,000 miles - that seems to be the new standard for an overnight international delay (though there will always be outliers in either direction).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is always some percentage around here who will assert it was your fault that UA failed to get you to your destination on time.

What was the cause of your delay? If not weather/ATC related, you'll probably get something like 15,000 miles - that seems to be the new standard for an overnight international delay (though there will always be outliers in either direction).
Flight out of LAX was cancelled due to a mechanical error. The flight apparently later took off after about 3 hours with an aircraft change. Agent at United counter just gave me 1 option which was to travel the next day.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
ORD-LGA at 8pm ended up leaving at 2:30am and went to EWR instead.
Landed and had an email with the link with a choice of 5,000 miles or 100 cert.
1K, F
Took the miles.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Flight out of LAX was cancelled due to a mechanical error. The flight apparently later took off after about 3 hours with an aircraft change. Agent at United counter just gave me 1 option which was to travel the next day.
Definitely due compensation since it's due to MX - in fact, I'm surprised it was not proactive. If it happens again, insist on rebooking on OALs.

I agree that for "can't miss" events, I build in extra time - and when possible, it is certainly nice to have the luxury to waste days in anticipation of UA's lack of operational reliability - but the flip side is that some people will simply choose not to travel if they have to waste a day just because UA is so lousy, and in that case UA loses too. That's actually one of the reasons I originally considered leaving UA, because I had a string of several consecutive flights to a UX station (not served by AA) where UA not once got me there remotely close to scheduled time.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:56 pm

UA1727 SFO-OGG Dec.24 delayed 6+ hours. 2 adults, 3 kids. Missed Xmas eve dinner on Maui. Economy ticket, no status. Got $100 cert per person.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
We were scheduled to go from HNL-NRT on UA and then onto CGK on ANA.

Flight from HNL is delayed around four hours due to mechanical issues resulting in missing the NRT-CGK connection.

Helpful agent rebooked us on Garuda Indonesia (non*A). so could can make it to CGK to catch our connecting flight (non *A).

That said, it means that we have to transfer from NRT to HND which is around $25 per person for the bus.

Does UA reimburse for this? Or do they issue a bus/train voucher so we can get to HND?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
ORD-LGA at 8pm ended up leaving at 2:30am and went to EWR instead.
Landed and had an email with the link with a choice of 5,000 miles or 100 cert.
1K, F
Took the miles.
Boy oh boy, next time I want to change airports and times by 6-1/2 hours, I think I'll offer UA $100. Now that they have kindly valued that for me.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Boy oh boy, next time I want to change airports and times by 6-1/2 hours, I think I'll offer UA $100. Now that they have kindly valued that for me.

I assumed when I saw the link (it's actually the first time I've got one from UA) that it was just for the delay but the "letter" from the CS dir or whatever mentioned the changing of the airports.
The delay sucked but it really didn't affect me too much since I was using Carmel anyways and didn't have a car parked there or was going to LI/CT.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by honmani2
We were scheduled to go from HNL-NRT on UA and then onto CGK on ANA.

Flight from HNL is delayed around four hours due to mechanical issues resulting in missing the NRT-CGK connection.

Helpful agent rebooked us on Garuda Indonesia (non*A). so could can make it to CGK to catch our connecting flight (non *A).

That said, it means that we have to transfer from NRT to HND which is around $25 per person for the bus.

Does UA reimburse for this? Or do they issue a bus/train voucher so we can get to HND?
I had a similar incident late last year when UA couldn't get their act together which resulted in a misconnect in NRT. Many of the passengers were rebooked out of HND in which case UA chartered multiple buses to move us from NRT to HND.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by kluau88
I had a similar incident late last year when UA couldn't get their act together which resulted in a misconnect in NRT. Many of the passengers were rebooked out of HND in which case UA chartered multiple buses to move us from NRT to HND.
I think my situation may be a little different. I can understand if I'm on UA to NRT and the connecting flight is from HND which would mean that more than likely a group of people may be inconvenienced.

In my case, the original itin was from NRT to CGK and because of the misconnect, I'm on Garuda from HND. So unless there's some passengers who were headed to CGK and were then put on the Garuda flight, I may be the only one in this situation. I don't think I'll get a UA-paid shuttle but you never know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.