Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Opening up the 2015 thread on compensation related to flying United Airlines.

For reference, here is the 2014 edition:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Bad J experience

So just thought I'd post here...I already filled out whatever form I could find on the UA site.

Paid J for the first time on UA (AC Super Elite...doubtful that matters, but I figured I'd mention it) and I knew what to expect, more or less.

YVR-SFO-IAH-BOG-MDE. YVR-SFO was totally fine, 737 J class, nothing special, but it was better than the original YVR-DEN that I had booked and got cancelled, and better than the YVR-SFO on CRJ that had no J class that they auto-rebooked me on.

Anyway, SFO-IAH 787 J...brilliant! Very nice seat, great service, I was bummed with the food but the service outweighed it.

IAH-BOG overnight, I strategically picked my seat knowing the config of the 757 to be near the door so I could get to customs ASAP.

We hit some heavy turbulence, which I mention only because MAYBE it played a factor, though I don't see how exactly.

Suddenly the AVOD/power wouldn't work for me or my seatmate. Looking around everyone else's seemed to be fine. The FA gave some stupid excuse to him about the power cycling that sounded made up to me but couldn't explain my AVOD issue. I asked her to reset (being an AC ff, I know that often the reset fixes everything) my seat, which she did. Nothing. Basically a movie would start, run 5-8 minutes and crap out, new selection, same thing, then the old selection might play 10 minutes ok, crap out again. We both reset cuz his AVOD was shot, neither of our AC power worked and my AVOD was shot....nothing.

To her credit, she was REALLY nice and apologetic, it's not her fault and all the J seats were full, but I was bummed to say the least.

Now, as a Canadian, I'm conditioned to not rock the boat. But then the food came, the bowl for my ravioli was cold, which I chalked up to being ok since usually they're too hot to touch. But the food inside was cold also, the edges REALLY rubbery (I'm the furthest thing from a food critic, but this was so obvious a dog would notice). But I didn't wanna be a complainer, so I let it slide.

I don't know...each thing on it's own I can live with. Had I been upgraded, honestly, I wouldn't even say anything. But having PAID for J for the first time, this was a total bummer. So I wrote a "complaint" email.

Should I even expect a response? Let alone compensation? Honestly I feel like I do deserve compensation, though I don't know what, maybe a discount code? Something simple. Again, the only reason I even sent the complaint was because it was 2 bad things and I had actually paid. Is this a normal issue with UA food and or AVOD? I've never had AVOD issues on UA, but since there's not much consistency in aircrafts I haven't used it much, and I've never really eaten on UA so I have no barometer.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Why didn't you ask the FA to warm the pasta? Seems like an easy fix to me.

Anyway, for the AVOD you should get either a voucher for some amount, or miles. Presumably you don't have a UNITED MP#, so probably a voucher.

I hope your complaint email was concise, mostly about the broken AVOD, and devoid of any emotions. If so you should come out ahead.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:57 am

I just got off an EWR-PVG (15:10 hours) without IFE so that pales into comparsion but if you send in an note to United, I'm sure they'll throw you 2,500 Miles as a token of appreciation for coming up "short".
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
6250 miles or $100 voucher for "weather related" aborted landing in TUS and diversion to PHX. United initiated. Also comped hotel in PHX with $21 in food vouchers for three.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Should I even expect a response? Let alone compensation? Honestly I feel like I do deserve compensation, though I don't know what, maybe a discount code? Something simple. Again, the only reason I even sent the complaint was because it was 2 bad things and I had actually paid. Is this a normal issue with UA food and or AVOD? I've never had AVOD issues on UA, but since there's not much consistency in aircrafts I haven't used it much, and I've never really eaten on UA so I have no barometer.
I went an entire SFO-LHR flight without IFE and didn't even get a response from 1KVoice as a 1K in paid GF, so I guess don't feel too badly if you don't hear back. IMO you definitely deserve compensation for no IFE though.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
FRA-EWR
Economy
The audio was all dodgy as the sound only worked in one headphone.
Emailed 1K and received 6000 miles.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drvannostren
But then the food came, the bowl for my ravioli was cold, which I chalked up to being ok since usually they're too hot to touch. But the food inside was cold also, the edges REALLY rubbery (I'm the furthest thing from a food critic, but this was so obvious a dog would notice). But I didn't wanna be a complainer, so I let it slide.
Poor food on IAH-BOG? That's just shocking

It's worse on the return.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
I went an entire SFO-LHR flight without IFE and didn't even get a response from 1KVoice as a 1K in paid GF, so I guess don't feel too badly if you don't hear back. IMO you definitely deserve compensation for no IFE though.

I inquired about compensation at PVG and the Service Director there offered us $300 which seems lower than I expected then he showed me the new compensation guidelines. It shocked me to find that $300 was above the authoritized amount for such an incident and this was for the entire front half of the BusinessFirst cabin.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:39 pm

I flew MUC-IAH 2 weeks ago in Business on a full-fare ticket. Seat was broken in that it didn't recline at all from upright to a sleeping position, or any position in-between. Lead FA gave me a skykit and told me that he'd log it in so I could report it shortly after landing.

Well, I went online to file my skykit the next day. Got the message that UA will get back to me in 7 days. It's been 14, and no response.

What's the next step? Do I call Customer Service, or write 1K voice?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

I got stuck in IAD waiting for the UA122 to LHR since it went mechanical and delayed for almost 9 hours, leaving at the same time as the evening flight.

-->
And now to my question a friend told me it was delayed additionally by United to avoid landing at LHR at night since United would be charged extra for that, any truth to that?

So my first long haul trip with united in J ended up with one broken seat on SFO - HNL and that flight almost 4 hours late and then the IAD-LHR 8+ hrs delayed so far no response from UA and I got 14USD in meal vouchers for the delay on IAD :/. If this would have been an EU carrier I would go for my rights but here I hope at least I'll get an I'm sorry.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by jumbooze
...If this would have been an EU carrier I would go for my rights but here I hope at least I'll get an I'm sorry.
I'm sorry.

(I hope you get more from UA!)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:34 pm

Fuel stop on a CRJ-700 cost me 3 days of my vacation

Just curious what others would expect from United in a situation I just found myself in. I booked a First Saver award for travel from ORD-GPS (Galapagos). GPS only has 2 flights a day from the mainland. My routing was ORD-MTY-PTY-GYE-GPS, with an overnight in GYE for a flight to the Galapagos the next morning. I had a 2.5hr layover in MTY to make my Copa connection to PTY. We pushed late at ORD, and then Captain advised of a required fuel stop in AUS since we were too heavy to make it N/S. This is the updated CRJ-700 with 70 seats.

After the operational fuel stop I arrived in MTY to see my Copa flight pushing back. MTY ops was pretty good, but the only option was a flight to GPS two days later since the next day was sold out. I was routed to MEX (hotel + food voucher), then MEX-PTY-UIO (hotel + food voucher) in UIO, and then to GPS the next morning. What is the normal compensation for an operational delay caused issue like this. While I'm mad that UA flew a Regional on a 3.5hr flight to MTY, and couldn't make it, i felt like the local ops handled it the best they could. Is it reasonable to expect UA to refund my miles used for the trip? Just looking for guidance from the masters.

thanks
-swimming with the sea turtles
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skrobo21
Just curious what others would expect from United in a situation I just found myself in. I booked a First Saver award for travel from ORD-GPS (Galapagos). GPS only has 2 flights a day from the mainland. My routing was ORD-MTY-PTY-GYE-GPS, with an overnight in GYE for a flight to the Galapagos the next morning. I had a 2.5hr layover in MTY to make my Copa connection to PTY. We pushed late at ORD, and then Captain advised of a required fuel stop in AUS since we were too heavy to make it N/S. This is the updated CRJ-700 with 70 seats.

After the operational fuel stop I arrived in MTY to see my Copa flight pushing back. MTY ops was pretty good, but the only option was a flight to GPS two days later since the next day was sold out. I was routed to MEX (hotel + food voucher), then MEX-PTY-UIO (hotel + food voucher) in UIO, and then to GPS the next morning. What is the normal compensation for an operational delay caused issue like this. While I'm mad that UA flew a Regional on a 3.5hr flight to MTY, and couldn't make it, i felt like the local ops handled it the best they could. Is it reasonable to expect UA to refund my miles used for the trip? Just looking for guidance from the masters.

thanks
-swimming with the sea turtles
Since they will claim it's weather, the best you could expect is a goodwill gesture from CS which is getting rarer and rarer these days.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Since they will claim it's weather, the best you could expect is a goodwill gesture from CS which is getting rarer and rarer these days.
I don't think UA is still playing the weather card on fuel stops. It's aircraft selection.

Weather would result in some strong headwinds, maybe a 30-minute delay. A fuel stop is needed because the aircraft selected was not capable of flying the mission nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.