Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by RealFan
+1 AA is not infinitely better than UA. I think the emotions of those here who flew UA for years and are defecting to AA colors the boards.
I am US CP/UA 1K this year, and majority of my AA/US flights were on the AA metal. Sure, there were differences between AA and UA, but in my humble experience, it was not like one was vastly superior to other (it was more like give and take). In fact, they both were fine for me and my needs!

However, I am leery of AA next year because of the merger. Ironically, I lived in PHX and PIT during the HP/US merger and all the headaches that came with it, but somehow stuck it through because of the route convenience. At this point, I may give UA more chance, but I can always become a free agent.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by radiowell
I am US CP/UA 1K this year, and majority of my AA/US flights were on the AA metal. Sure, there were differences between AA and UA, but in my humble experience, it was not like one was vastly superior to other (it was more like give and take). In fact, they both were fine for me and my needs!

However, I am leery of AA next year because of the merger. Ironically, I lived in PHX and PIT during the HP/US merger and all the headaches that came with it, but somehow stuck it through because of the route convenience. At this point, I may give UA more chance, but I can always become a free agent.
Yup. For those of us who didn't have a prior long-term existing relationship with UA, it is hard to distinguish between UA and AA. Both are fine for me as well and the same goes for my colleagues, neighbors and friends.

If I had to be nit picky, I'd say UA outperformed AA for me in 2014 but I'd be splitting some fine hairs to get to that conclusion. In the end, they both did well and the employees I encountered for both airlines whether on the phone, during check in, at the gate, in the cockpit or in the passenger area were all very nice and professional. The same goes for the on time arrivals, food choices, overall experience, etc.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
If TATL awards are important to you...

Watch out for AA. They push you to BA (with their very high YQ charges) unless you call in and don't mind a connection in Spain or other non-UK partner hubs.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by PushingTin
My first attempt to ask SFO disappeared about how he gets 100% on GPUs and 95% on CPUs, seemingly out of SFO- Please, pretty please, with sugar on top would SFO please tell us how he does this? Instruments not clearing is a major source of disappointment for many fliers. Those kinds of stats would make me over the moon happy with UA.
Buy H or M fares. Fly on Wednesdays (and domestically, Saturday night).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by 787fan

UA, despite its flaws in certain aspects, serves a Manhattan-based international traveler the best.

You'd rather fly out of EWR than JFK?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by mre5765

Although you didn't address this to me, I'd say I'm indifferent about JFK versus EWR. I've been traveling for almost 30 years and have yet to experience any horror stories at EWR. In fact, when LGA gets shut down or severely delayed, I've had good luck of escaping the NY area from EWR on UA flights.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by RealFan
Although you didn't address this to me, I'd say I'm indifferent about JFK versus EWR. I've been traveling for almost 30 years and have yet to experience any horror stories at EWR. In fact, when LGA gets shut down or severely delayed, I've had good luck of escaping the NY area from EWR on UA flights.
From my Greenwich village office, EWR >>> JFK
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Bonehead
...There's no place to hide if choosing among UA, AA, and DL, especially once AA and US merge and adopt the "$$$ not miles" model also.
Sure there is.

First for all us abroad, you can fly other carriers.

And even if you are stuck at a fortress hub, you can join other FFPs and switch to a "cheapest flight" policy. Having no status with UA and buying super-cheap tickets also gives you a deep TOD discount and hence an improved upgrade record.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
FWIW, I have been pretty happy with UA this year. Yes, the upgrade rates for many 1ks are pathetic, but outside of that, UA has performed well for me:

- their schedule gives me a non-stop option that AA does not and it allows me to see my kids and wife one extra night every week.
- UA also gets me to work earlier on Tuesdays.
- they are also getting me efficiently to family in SFO and FRA and vendors in Chicago
- I have been far more on-time with UA than I had been with AA.
- SDC options have been very good when I have needed some flexibility.
- when upgrades have not cleared, I have usually been able to get a bulkhead E+ seat.
- on a few occasions, UA has waived change fees for me when they did not need to.
- GPUs and RPUs have been clearing no problem for me, the wife, and the kids.
- technology/app is way better than AA's options
- MP miles are still the most valuable miles for flight award availability IMO.

The only item that is worth complaining about is the upgrade rate and the sometimes insanely long lists that I have appered way low in, but considering all issues, that is a comparatively minor quibble.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Buy H or M fares. Fly on Wednesdays (and domestically, Saturday night).
We've been able to use my GPUs successfully for years TATL by flying Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

And this year my CPU success rate was up over 2013 and 2014, so that was a pleasant surprise.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors

Do I rather pick 2 nonstops a day or 7? That's the better question.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stella23
I just flew UA last weekend with my family. I have flown over 200k miles this year. We were treated poorly on every connection. In fact on one flight , the minute we stepped on the small jet, the FA started nagging us about our carry on items and made one of us move to accommodate a woman with two children.
On our last flight of return there were two small children crying and screaming (until one finally threw up) in first class for the entire 3 hour flight. There were only eight seats in first class. I was not in one of them. When I say screaming, I mean full lung capacity, no resting. It was miserable.
Hmmm, so on that trip:

- You had too many carry-ons and an F/A called you out on it (which personally I like, so it leaves room for the carry-ons of others who have followed the carry-on rules, and it is not like F/As LIKE to "nag" people about carry-ons; usually it has to be pretty bad before they will actively intervene);

- A F/A tried to seat a mother with her children (not sure what you mean by
"made" you move; you can decline such a request and keep your originally-assigned seat); and

- There was a screaming baby on the plane, which can and does happen on every airline around the world daily.

There may be legitimate complaints to be made about UA, but I am not seeing them here.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Hello,
I'd agree with OP sentiment .. they're really not as bad as most would state here. I've been a 1K the last 4 years and been happy with the service & benefits.

I've flown DL quite a bit this year and whilst they do offer a better service, nicer FA's imho, they are not that much better.

For 1K, the major benefits for me are:
-GPU's - don't exist on DL
-1k desk when things go wrong - they always get me home
-Award Redemption - way better than DL, more choice of carrier, better search options even with the mileage increases this year.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC

Happy fliers are the type of elites UA wants.

Unsubstantiated rumors from Chicago are "elites are good", but only the "right" elites. At least some of what UA is doing is turning millennial kettles into new elites that don't have the entitlement from the bygone era.

It's a LCC world. Those moving to the legacies are happy for any elite benefits. It's time to create a new generation of elites based on the new industry dynamics.

One day elite will mean you get to lean against the wall instead of stand in the middle. And that will be a big deal.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by janddouglas
For 1K, the major benefits for me are:
-GPU's - don't exist on DL
Just so you know - GPUs DO exist on DL, and are good on virtually any fare (unlike UA) @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.