Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I have admired ua1flyer for the past few years after I joined FT. I guess that he has been interviewed by media many times, especially UA travels. I just read an article on Bloomburg, which quoted him regarding the UA summer hell. I hope that they might misquoted him a little bit. Here is the entire quote: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/making...152832217.html

Aside from whatever grousing the traveling public heaps on United, its most frequent customer remains pleased by the airline. "Most of the on-time thing is weather-related and you can't blame United for Mother Nature," said Tom Stuker, a Nutley (N.J.) sales consultant who recently topped 16.5 million miles on United. When Stuker reached 10 million miles, in the summer of 2011, CEO Smisek presented him with a titanium card marking his loyalty to the airline, which also named a Boeing 747 in his honor. Stuker, it should be noted, sits in the first row on about 99.9 percent of his flights. "It’s probably where I ought to get my mail," he quipped, en route to the airport for a flight to London.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 19, 2015 at 11:23 am Reason: moved from ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS thread
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:20 am
Suspended

So United DOES know how to treat passengers. I guess this one passenger just proves how United CHOOSES to treat the rest of us.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
So United DOES know how to treat passengers. I guess this one passenger just proves how United CHOOSES to treat the rest of us.
United has always treated me just fine.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jalen500
United has always treated me just fine.
OK, that's one of you.

Any others?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
OK, that's one of you.

Any others?
Me
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
OK, that's one of you.

Any others?
Since the merger, I've had one pretty bad experience and some really excellent service. The Premier agents have always been pretty good for me, a lowly Gold/Plat (depending on the year).
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA GS
I've been treated pretty well too

Hate to break the FT theme, but I've been treated very fairly. I'm nowhere near Tom's level, but I've been on 35 international flights year-to-date and have had very good experiences on every one of them. I've used GS benefits to upgrade family and have benefited from the 11x miles calc when I pay for trips. Overall a very good year at the mid-point.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
OK, that's one of you.

Any others?
Yes, me too. UA has always taken very good care of me.

I think UA has had some challenging times lately, but as I have been posting for a while now, things are getting better. The FAs have a very challenging job, and I've been in their "work uncertainty" shoes before. I'm afraid that too many FT flyers, having been thru a lot with UA, and tired of the difficult times, are like the proverbial school teacher who expects a bad class and gets just that. Every time I board a flight to Asia, I expect a good flight and with that attitude I usually get that and more.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've always been treated well by the front-line employees, even after losing 1K status. I think this forum is dominated by negative comments because those just happen to be the most vocal people.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Count me among the satisfied too. I've had plenty of good flights this year, with the worst of them having been mediocre. And there are fewer mediocre flights in 2015 than in 2014.

Although the cost cutting decisions up the line and the mileage program devaluations are annoying, United still offers just enough to keep me coming back for more.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I am very happy with UA. They fly where I need to go, almost always without needing to connect (I live in NYC and heavily favor EWR). My flights have nearly always been on-time or close. All of the FAs I have dealt with have been great. I like the Web site and Android app. And the TAs I have dealt with on the phone have almost all been great.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've always been treated well by the front-line employees, even after losing 1K status. I think this forum is dominated by negative comments because those just happen to be the most vocal people.
That and I think that many posters who have jumped ship with UA still come back here to pat each other on the back for leaving in order to validate their own decisions.

Personally I'm waiting till this AA/US merger thing is complete before I contemplate any potentials moves. No way I'm re-arranging my life in order to be greeted with "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
My interactions with the vast majority of front-line agents are pretty positive. Occasionally find some well-intentioned but not quite informed agents, but I like most here are aware of options the general traveling public is not, and the very rare bad apple, but the rare bad apple (or good apple having a bad day) is going to be present in any large organization.

A little more hit and miss on flight attendants, but feel like it's getting better.

All my pilots have gotten me there in one piece which is what I need out of them.

The general policies of United are certainly not as flier-friendly as they used to be (GPUs for Bogota, really?) but I can't see any airline with greener pastures.

- Chris
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

Let's avoid characterizing other posters and stick to the topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
I am very happy with UA. They fly where I need to go, almost always without needing to connect (I live in NYC and heavily favor EWR). My flights have nearly always been on-time or close. All of the FAs I have dealt with have been great. I like the Web site and Android app. And the TAs I have dealt with on the phone have almost all been great.
The app's transparency and the easy same day change via the app or online are things I miss when I am on other carriers.

Not to mention the most favorable free same day change policy (love the ability to fly the next day).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.