Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
..Biz travel collapsed in 2009 and the airlines treated anyone left travelling like gold. There is a lot of pining for those days and inability to grasp that those days are gone.. Gone..... Gone.
I do realise that this is a very common perspective but not my experience at all.

In the wake of the 2008 crisis, UA elevate tons of people to elite status they would have never reached by flying and that ruined the benefits and the exclusiveness for everyone.
I did not even want to become 1K this year, as I am solidly done with UA but it was soooo damn easy. A bit of SQ flying here, a bit of LH there, and - unfortunately and regrettably as I needed the luggage allowance - very few transpacs with UA and I am well into 1K territory.
So the curse of the crisis lives on.
Originally Posted by zcat18
..it's tales like yours of a bygone era--the dedicated clubs and customer service staff, etc.--that do make today's experience seem to pale in comparison.
<snip>
Short story is that I'm not sure accepting the current state of things is as terrible for the consumer as some fear, because no carrier offers elites the experience that was available in the glory days.
While I agree with the rest of the post, I get nothing out of the <the market>,<god>,<the elves of travel> changed the rules and we should be happy with what is still offered argument.

All that has changed happened due to hysteric me-too and more-for-me actions and reactions of UA's management. Sure, most US carriers made some proportional mistakes. But it is an odd joke that while American FFPs were the best by a wide margin 5 years ago, I would only consider AAdvantage these days if I had to start collecting.
If it was "the market" that drove the elite status into the sewer, how come that BA, SQ, EK all offer vastly superior benefits over what they did a few years ago? They tangibly improved on all levels.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While that was true then, today without those bonus there are too, too many 1Ks and in general all elite levels. Just look at boarding groups, elite security, .... Business travel has changed over the last 10, 20, 30, ... years. The world and business are far more global.

100,000 milers were so rare in the 70s into the 80s they were given plaques. MMers were rare at one time but now most folks who have been road warriors for 10-15 years are at least 1MM with some airline. Folks are gaining these status elites in the first third of their work lives, not the last third.

Elites are not the 1%ers of travelers, they are the "salaryman" of the traveling population.

So as much as I don't like, 1Ks (even at the PQD level) are just not the same as 100,000 milers of 20,30, .. years ago. My guess there are just a many earned GSs today as there were 1Ks 20 years ago. It is a different world and the system has got to change.
They sent a plaque to me in 1973, "One Hundred Thousand Mile Club." Looking back, that experience has proven to be my curse, especially as I join the mob in Group One these days.

Totally agree with your assessment of who they were then and who they are now.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K Premier, LH Senator
Thanks OP for the post, even though I didn't pick it up for a long time. I haven't lurked here near as much as I used to, mostly because it was just a forum for BGC (B#$(U, Gripes, and Complaints) and I got jaded.

I had a great year on UA as well. I have flown consistently to Europe and back and forth from South America with great service and with my GPU's clearing most of the time off my W or H fares...so I really have nothing to complain about.

It all started back in January, too, returning from the holidays at home in Texas to Sao Paulo where I reside and when we went to check in, it offered my whole family upgrades to BusinessFirst for a couple hundred bucks a piece for a 9 hour flight! Admittedly they were oversold in coach and not B1 but holy moly! That was great!

I've bought some business fares this year, and a lot of coach, and thought that I might get close to GS but I think I was fooling myself. Maybe this year as I have a few trips to Europe to take on Biz and will come back and forth the US with more regularity (United sponsored relationship with a girl in the States, well, not so much sponsored as supported)....

So cheers, thanks for the post, and no, UA is not all bad. I have had great experiences that I hope carry forward!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
agree with the sentiments that we are flying in a "new era" .. and the demographics of flying have changed. I made 1K my first time in 1999-2000 ... I think I was all in at 105K domestic miles... remember the 1K lounge at ORD .. and every now and then peek at the "closet" whenever I'm running through the terminal .. was also a time that the pre-boarding call was maybe a handful of elites.. and you actually got thanked for being an elite flyer with UA (true story believe it or not ). On one of my numerous 757 flights I even got a signed business card and book from Capt. Flanagan ... and that is priceless! ^

Nowadays, boarding group 1 is oftentimes larger than the rest of the groups combined.... upgrade lists run 30 deep and I'm lucky if I get a smile from a GA.

Based in BOS (previously MHT.. and UX ruined that ) I still enjoy flying UA... I enjoy E+ and despite being an AA and B6 city .. I will continue to fly UA. No pipe dreams... and I can hope (and hold my breath) that UA treated elites better.. but the sad reality is it won't happen... and frankly, never will.

Sure, I can stomp, pout .. complain.. but the only thing that will do is make me bitter and give me sore feet ... I've embraced mediocrity and am ok with it. Plus, I've ridden in the back of a C130.. even jumped out of them.. and that is infinitely worse than what I experience with UA

Happy New Year my fellow frequent flyers!!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I've also been top-level United since the early 1990s and have watched things change. I don't know about others, but the thing that bothers me the most is how United is sneaky and misleading. I know they have to monetize as much as possible but I wish they would be clear about it. Using analytics to upsell an upgrade instead of giving it to someone who flies a ton is very bad for customer satisfaction - unless the process is clearly published. Everything is about expectations and being sneaky destroys any relationship (customer, marriage, whatever).

Overall I've had an ok year on United. My upgrade percentage (GPUs/CPUs) has been the lowest in my history. Boarding has become a nightmare. I've had more middle seats then any year in my history. I've also had a lot of positives, especially with IRROPS, and the number of delays/cancellations has been way down (excluding UX which is a disaster).

My recommendations to United are:

1) Fix the boarding process. Group 1 should be 1K and First Class only. Hopefully this will shrink it - although it will still be large. With both AA and Delta, the number of elites in the first line seems to be a lot smaller.

2) Publish the requirements of GS. The current approach is infuriating your highest spenders. I don't care what it is but make it transparent.

3) Make 1K a real tier with WAY less fliers (e.g. like Delta Diamond). Maybe that means 125K miles and 20K in spend. Ensure 1K means something in terms of upgrades and other benefits. I would be ok with eliminating the mileage requirement and making both GS and 1K spend based.

3) Publish what you are doing with up-sells consistently. For example, if you have 10 1Ks on the upgrade list, send an email to all of them asking if they want to buy up to first for 200 (or some price) - BEFORE - enabling everyone else to compete for these seats.

4) Reserve more of E+ for top fliers. I book a lot of expensive last-minute fares and end up in center seats.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bldr1k

Fix the boarding process. Group 1 should be 1K and First Class only. Hopefully this will shrink it - although it will still be large. With both AA and Delta, the number of elites in the first line seems to be a lot smaller.

Publish what you are doing with up-sells consistently. For example, if you have 10 1Ks on the upgrade list, send an email to all of them asking if they want to buy up to first for 200 (or some price) - BEFORE - enabling everyone else to compete for these seats.
^^ to both of the above suggestions!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
I've also been top-level United since the early 1990s and have watched things change. I don't know about others, but the thing that bothers me the most is how United is sneaky and misleading. I know they have to monetize as much as possible but I wish they would be clear about it. Using analytics to upsell an upgrade instead of giving it to someone who flies a ton is very bad for customer satisfaction - unless the process is clearly published. Everything is about expectations and being sneaky destroys any relationship (customer, marriage, whatever).

Overall I've had an ok year on United. My upgrade percentage (GPUs/CPUs) has been the lowest in my history. Boarding has become a nightmare. I've had more middle seats then any year in my history. I've also had a lot of positives, especially with IRROPS, and the number of delays/cancellations has been way down (excluding UX which is a disaster).

1) Fix the boarding process. Group 1 should be 1K and First Class only. Hopefully this will shrink it - although it will still be large. With both AA and Delta, the number of elites in the first line seems to be a lot smaller.

2) Publish the requirements of GS. The current approach is infuriating your highest spenders. I don't care what it is but make it transparent.

3) Make 1K a real tier with WAY less fliers (e.g. like Delta Diamond). Maybe that means 125K miles and 20K in spend. Ensure 1K means something in terms of upgrades and other benefits. I would be ok with eliminating the mileage requirement and making both GS and 1K spend based.

3) Publish what you are doing with up-sells consistently. For example, if you have 10 1Ks on the upgrade list, send an email to all of them asking if they want to buy up to first for 200 (or some price) - BEFORE - enabling everyone else to compete for these seats.

4) Reserve more of E+ for top fliers. I book a lot of expensive last-minute fares and end up in center seats.
I really like you 1, 3, and 3 recommendations. Your #2 will NEVER happen. While it may not be "customer friendly", continuing the guessing game of makes one a GS, certainly adds revenue to the UA bottom line. If one knew FOR SURE that they had qualified, they wouldn't book that last MR or even full fare international trip.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status

I agree with your list (even though I would be negatively impacted by #3, as I usually just skate by @ 100K).

That said, of all of them, I think the only item that is likely to be implemented by UA is the first half of #3: "Make 1K a real tier with WAY less fliers (e.g. like Delta Diamond). Maybe that means 125K miles and 20K in spend. "

It's the only one that provides benefit to UA without meaningful cost. The rest of them cost them something.

Unfortunately, I'm being serious and not sarcastic here...

Greg
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
i assume with all the cuts 1K with UA will have less people this year and a even less next year.
So our upgrades should become easier, and hopefully UA will add back some of the 1k perks.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by why fly
i assume with all the cuts 1K with UA will have less people this year and a even less next year.
So our upgrades should become easier, and hopefully UA will add back some of the 1k perks.
Missing the emoticon...surely you're joking, right?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I flew 102.5 segments on UA last year and altough flying is not as much fun as it used to be, UA treated me right most of the time. On some of the LAX-JFK-LAX P.S. flights, I got outstanding service, same on the LAX-SHA-LAX flights. No complaints. It helps to have a positive attitude and healthy outlook on life. Smile at the FA as soon as you can and there is a very good chance that she/he/it will smile back and will take good care of you.

Last edited by goalie; Jan 1, 2015 at 12:58 pm Reason: removed off topic comments
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by spotfin
Smile at the FA as soon as you can and there is a very good chance that she/he/it will smile back and will take good care of you.
That's a nice philosophy, but it doesn't always work.

Last edited by goalie; Jan 1, 2015 at 1:01 pm Reason: removed off topic trolling comments
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by spotfin
It helps to have a positive attitude and healthy outlook on life. Smile at the FA as soon as you can and there is a very good chance that she/he/it will smile back and will take good care of you.

I agree. I only flew ~75K last year, but I only had one or two bad crews during the whole year. I always try to be pleasant with FAs, always smile, and always say please and thank you, and it works pretty well.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by why fly
Are there already some indications that there are less 1Ks this year due to the PQD requirements?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I flew 102.5 segments on UA last year and altough flying is not as much fun as it used to be, UA treated me right most of the time. On some of the LAX-JFK-LAX P.S. flights, I got outstanding service, same on the LAX-SHA-LAX flights. No complaints. It helps to have a positive attitude and healthy outlook on life. Smile at the FA as soon as you can and there is a very good chance that she/he/it will smile back and will take good care of you.[/QUOTE]

^ And I might add that while having a positive attitude makes life better, having the opposite kind of attitude leads to viewing every single negative incident in life as an evil plot by someone to make you unhappy. I think I saw a post once like that.

Last edited by goalie; Jan 1, 2015 at 12:59 pm Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.