Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
So people who think UA is not all that bad are really just employees?
I think you should re-read the post to which you've replied - with an eye towards the difference between inclusive and exclusive.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by spin88
For UAL to turn around it needs (1) leadership to provide the right direction, (2) a willingness to spend money to fix problems (and take short term reduced earnings as that money is invested, and (3) motivated employees. At this point United has none of these things. And with "project quality" and more anger by employees (2) and (3) are going the wrong direction.
This is actually a good list. Fixing (1) and (2) will certainly help with (3). As an mostly-TATL 1K, I'm not feeling much of the pain expressed so often on here by others, nor the perceived downgrades in service, but I know they are there and that the effects hit domestic flyers the most.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by bseller
I think you should re-read the post to which you've replied - with an eye towards the difference between inclusive and exclusive.
Alas, the poster to which he replied has a penchant for calling out some contrarian opinions as coming from "employees" or sock puppets.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
should I be happy? The trip I came back from got me over 100k and $10k ... outbound maintenance cancellation and forced overnight with 24 hour late arrival in India. Return delay out of India because of 'operational difficulties' and connecting flight @ EWR cancelled due to crew availability (guess nobody wants to work on July 4).
4th maintenance cancellation of the year.
Why on earth should I continue to fly UA? Get more GPUs and RPUs? Get stranded again on every other trip? Should I be as happy as the OP?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Or perhaps just deaf, dumb and blind as to what is going on around them on this new United . . .

Last edited by Always Flyin; Jul 4, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by zrs70
I've long thought that UA should offer perks on a similar plan.

Each year, every elite gets a fixed number of points. For the sake of simplification:

UGS: 120
1K: 100
plat: 75
gold: 50
silver: 25

30 points = GPU from any fare
25 points = UC yearly membership
20 points = GPU W and above
10 points = regional upgrade/ empty adjacent seat
5 points = UC one time entry/ extra bag/ Econ Plus (plus/minus points for flight length)
3 = coach meal
2 = drink

Etc.

The points are an arbitrary calculation, and I may be way off.
Way.. way off. n

According to your plan, 1Ks only get 5 GPUs, and no RPUs. Or 4 GPUs + 2 RPUs.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
The only reason i fly UA is because they either fly somewhere someone else doesn't, or the places others fly they're at least 25% cheaper.

Although Star Alliance still tops. If AA starts SYD service though, then its all over for UA from me haha
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
The only reason i fly UA is because they either fly somewhere someone else doesn't, or the places others fly they're at least 25% cheaper.

Although Star Alliance still tops. If AA starts SYD service though, then its all over for UA from me haha
I still fly UA as well - when the only nonstop. What cities does UA fly for 25% less than DL, US, AA, WN domestic? Perhaps you could help a Kettle?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:12 am

Curious how some posters will repeat themselves ad nauseam to convince others that they're not allowed to be happy.

Most of my flights are a thousand miles here, a thousand miles there. I don't worry about limes, cashews, and what brand of vodka UA serves. Once I'm in my seat, I just expect the crew to get me from A to B, and they do. I'm more interested in what happens before my flight. Pre check, premier phone line, boarding group 1, CPUs, RPUs. I'm far better off than those without status.

I understand that UA is underperforming, and I understand that others have different priorities. Message received. Now let's move on.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Or perhaps just deaf, dumb and blind as to what is going on around them on this new United . . .
I don't appreciate the insult. Why is it impossible for you to believe that some of us are treated well day in and day out by UA? I won't repeat what I have said earlier in this thread but the sum of it is that UA is doing what it needs to do to keep me flying with the airline. I also fly AA a lot so I have a basis of comparison.

Last edited by RealFan; Jul 5, 2014 at 8:44 am
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by RealFan
I don't appreciate appreciate the insult. Why is it impossible for you to believe that some of us are treated well day in and day out by UA? I won't repeat what I have said earlier in this thread but the sum of it is that UA is doing what it needs to do to keep me flying with the airline. I also fly AA a lot so I have a basis of comparison.

Just don't even bother. The arrogance displayed by some (not all) of the posters on here is astounding sometimes, and it's best to just let them blow off steam.

You and I know that UA, while it has it's bad moments, is not the terrible airline FT makes it out to be. And we don't need to be told how we think.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
United treats me well. Anyone that has to insult people and tell them that "NO you can't be happy!" is just a fool. If you hate United so much why are you still here on this forum?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:13 am

My experiences with UA have overall been pretty bad but then there have been some positives sure. The problem with the positives is that those are positives I generally would expect in a service-oriented business and thus it's the negatives that decide whether I take my money elsewhere.

And I have decided to go out of my way to avoid United in the future in spite of it offering easily the most convenient solutions on paper. But the reality is that the RJ lottery is one I can't afford to play.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Have anyone seen United's facebook page?
It's cluttered full of complaints!

Sometimes I wonder why they bother with a facebook page when all it does is let customers vent, and scaring off potential customers.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ws8n
Have anyone seen United's facebook page?
It's cluttered full of complaints!

Sometimes I wonder why they bother with a facebook page when all it does is let customers vent, and scaring off potential customers.
This little fact is one the defenders keep ignoring. Its not just FT, United's facebook page is always chock full of people unhappy/POed with United. Twitter is just as bad.

And the response of "well its everyone" is just wrong. Delta's (or other airlines) Facebook page is utterly different in what people post. No where near as negative.

The venum on FT is if anything less here than in more broadbased social media platforms like Facebook.

I think those in Management (Jeff "changes you will like", John "over-entitled elites", on down) setting the product/service standards thought that they could simply coast some more on the good reputation/name that CO had built up. Yet, in the social media era, reputations can be smashed very quickly, and with more exposure of complaints, they are far more expensive to the bottom line.

United's approach to running its business is not well adapted to the social media age and in particular to a company where nearly every sale has direct competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.