Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
If you fly to places where they have cut back service to rj's, like cvg, clt, phx, etc and haven't seen the decline then you have been extremely lucky. Lately, i just hope I can make it to my meetings when u fly united, in the past I wouldn't be stalking the United app having every option planned in case my flight gets cancelled. I think we all are here because we want united to improve.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
So I stopped using UA completely when they put their 737's on the HKG-SIN runs, and even after they changed back haven't used them at all up until last week where I was travelling with a client who only uses UA as far as possible and this was in Economy.

I must say that I wasn't expecting much, but the overall hard and soft product is pretty decent.

The service on both sectors was pretty decent, with multiple drink runs, the food was edible, and the seats/IFE were pretty solid. Not bad at all when they charge HK$880 plus taxes on this sector.

The UA Lounge in HK had a DIY Taco Station that I thought was pretty good.

Overall a pretty good product - might consider them on a longhaul back to the US sometime.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 2.6 MM, 1K, HHonors Diamond
1K no change fee award change

I have been 1K for many years and recently used again the ability of booking and changing award without a mile redeposit fee associated with this higher status. I did it twice, once for my wife on her way back from NRT and for myself on my way to Europe.
I was able to get her a business class saver award on three different days, each time canceling and rebooking for next day departure, as she decided she wanted to stay one day longer. As long as saver space was available, I was able to do it.
As for me, I truly wanted to experience BC on the LH A380 from SFO to FRA. A couple of weeks ago I got a saver BC seat on UA only for the day prior to my preferred day of travel; no LH availability. I kept checking daily and switched to a 100% UA saver award on my target date of travel. Two days prior to traveling, space became available on LH 455 A380 to FRA and I again canceled my previous flight and was able to get my preferred flight and travel date.

This was very satisfying and is one of the reasons I would stick with UA for now. However, if Smisek & Co. were to eliminate this 1K and Platinum perk, it would go a long way damaging my loyalty to this airline. There are still a few things I like about UA.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: 1k
No Complaints about United

Hello all.

I just found this site believe it or not. Wow. Some great information.

I may be in the minority, but I have no complaints about United.

They have given me hotels when flights are canceled.
Not always but occasionally changed reservations for me and waived the $300 fee.
Rerouted me if necessary without big problems.
I still think their award travel is a pretty good value.

I find their flight crews to be very professional and helpful. When I call for assistance they answer promptly.

Lounges adequate.

I guess my only complaint is about the food in economy.

I don't know of a better option.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: 1K
Welcome to FT! After browsing these forums for a while, I'm sure you will find United more than inadequate (don't fret, it will come).
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:18 am
axl

Welcome to FT! It's nice to hear about your experience with UAL... and it's really nice to read a positive first post!!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Welcome to Flyertalk!

What is your basis of comparison?

Do you fly other airlines as well, and you've found that UA compares favorably?

I do, and I certainly haven't.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:32 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Hi and welcome, I also have had very little to complain about. Any problem has been dealt with and I have found that most of the people I have had to deal with at UA to be friendly and more than willing to assist me. I agree with your comment about food, not the best in the world, and when flying in economy I generally bring my own. My only negative comment would be that some of those working at the gates could be a little more positive and friendly towards the passengers that are flying, I do realize that they bear the brunt of a passengers rath. My overall grade for the airline would be about a "B"
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
If they would just apply their "copy everything Delta does" mentality to

A) Upgrades/Amount of F seats available

B) Soft product

C) On-time arrivals

they'd get an A. They've only copied DL's negatives.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Welcome to FT! After browsing these forums for a while, I'm sure you will find United more than inadequate (don't fret, it will come).
Just to clarify - you're saying that the source of complaints about United will come not from OP's experience with them, but from reading other people's complaints online? This place is truly turning into an echo chamber.

Look, plenty of people have had negative experiences with United, and I won't deny that many of the changes they've made were not "flyer friendly". But it's not all bad, many (including myself) have had overall positive experiences with them. Reading through these forums, there are a lot of people who can't seem to wait to jump on any thread and rant, regardless of tone or content of said thread. I get that you may be frustrated, but this seems excessive.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Hello all.

Well welcome!

Yes, great information can be found here if one is willing to wade through / ignore the nattering nabobs of negativism.

Just buy a flameproof suit and be ready to be labeled as an "apologist". You'll be fine.

Originally Posted by itsMoe
Reading through these forums, there are a lot of people who can't seem to wait to jump on any thread and rant, regardless of tone or content of said thread. I get that you may be frustrated, but this seems excessive.
Or pathological.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:19 am

My opinion is that the problem with United is not that it's "bad", but wildly inconsistent. Just over the past year, my level of service and onboard amenities have ranged from spectacular (on a KWI-IAD international flight), to reasonably good (flying mainly domestic transcons and midcons), to horrific with staff that couldn't care less (mainly UAX routes, though also on some mainline).

If United could just deliver a more consistent product, much like I've experienced on AA, Delta, or Alaska, I think they could eliminate a majority of complaints, even if their product is consistently a notch below those other airlines.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Hello all.

None at all?

Why was the flight cancelled in the first place? Are you aware that UA's cancellation rates are significantly higher than its competition?

Not always but occasionally changed reservations for me and waived the $300 fee.
You don't state the circumstances under which the change was requested, but don't you see a problem with the lack of consistency?

Why was the rerouting "necessary"? Cancelled flight perhaps?

Have you compared the redemption levels to the competition? Have you priced a premium cabin award on a partner airline? Have you tried to find business class award space in advance of travel?

I find their flight crews to be very professional and helpful. When I call for assistance they answer promptly.
For the most part, I agree. There is always the occasional grouch, but you can get that on any carrier.

Lounges adequate.
Adequate compared to what? Are you finding a well maintained lounge with adequate room and facilities to conduct business or relax in peaceful surroundings? How are the food options (other than at HKG)?

And business class, and first class . . .

What routes do you fly? There is no shortage of people here who would be glad to help you choose a better option.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by axl
Welcome to FT! It's nice to hear about your experience with UAL... and it's really nice to read a positive first post!!
It should read "positive first post about United!"
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Hello all.

Lounges adequate.

As some people say, the complaints are mainly 'first world problems'. I first thought that you were flying in F most of the time, but you're a 1K (not GS) and you mention the food in economy. Maybe you travel internationally a lot? International travel is a lot more 'civilized'. Less cancellations and oddities.

The other reason I thought you flew in F was no mention of upgrades. There are a lot of operational head-scratchers with UA, but the upgrade situation, especially for 1Ks seems to be 'in flux', to put it politely.

UA can do a number of things right, and then they do a number of odd things.
-Run RJs silly when others fly mainline
-TOD upgrades while telling elites about auto upgrades
-Lounge is a barely acceptable product, except for people with alcohol problems. LH lounges are in the *A system and are a good comparo.
-FAs that go from pleasant grandmas who can't reach OHBs, to a range of politeness that seems to depend on your row number.
-While you may have been happy with IRROPs, I find their autosystem truly odd.
-No IFE on a 7.5 hour flight to HNL. Web based system, but no outlets for the seats.
-Run RJs Inter-regionally, not intra-regionally. (Yep, its a thing for me).

I'd have to say that 70% of my issues with UA revolve around RJs and 25% are about the changing nature of upgrades and the lack of clarity from UA.

I TRULY am happy that you are happy. I'm glad UA's model works for someone.

WOuld you mind telling us a bit more about your travel? Home airport, types, distance and cabin class for trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.