Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Why must every post that speaks positively of UA, and responses that agree to said positive post, answer to an inquisition from those that disagree?
Because it is a discussion board, not a unilateral sermon board.

A poster says UA is wonderful. Follow-up posters cite instances in which UA is not so wonderful. The original poster can then explain why the follow-up posts are incorrect. That's how this is supposed to work.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 21, 2014 at 2:31 pm Reason: focus on the issue, not the posters
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I heard that there are too many GSs flying out SFO every day. This CPU success rate (95%) for 1K seems to be comparable to failure rates experienced by other 1Ks at SFO. Please reveal the secret and you will be the most admired person at FT.
He's probably flying mostly Y/B/M fares. No way to get that kind of CPU rate if a 1k buys el cheapo fares.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
...Those who have issues with United seem to be able to very clearly articulate their areas of disappointment with this airline. For those who claim they do not have any issues with United, most often they cannot respond to the specific areas of disappointment, and there certainly are a lot of them that have been advanced on this board.
i can't respond to "specific areas of disappointment" partly b/c
1. i wasn't there
2. i have a different level of expectations
3. i accept that a large airline will have travel disruptions and sometime
personnel issues that are not in and of themselves signs of overt failure.

i fly pdx/sfo/ord/nyc area and dc....some hawaii..some hkg/tyo
i have largely (not always) found professional service
i have largely (CERTAINLY NOT ALWAYS) arrived w/in reason of on-time
and i simply am not going to complain about food on a tin can at 30,000 feet.

given my patterns, if you can suggest (as u intimated before) a better airline, or better yet explain why united is failing me and i am simply "blind", cool...i'm open. but i have flown Alaska, Delta, AA/USair in the last 12mos and haven't found the service to be blindingly different or better...and frankly i had much worse delay ratio when i wasn't flying UAL...but i accept that that is simply anecdotal
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Have you ever gone to see a movie and really enjoyed it and all your friends enjoyed it and the critics said it was trash? Or had a great time at a restaurant and the critics claim it's patrons all get food poisoning?

Same concept in many other areas.
liking or disliking a MOVIE is subjective... most of the complaints about UA, and the other US carriers, are objective.

Last edited by bajrbajr; Dec 21, 2014 at 3:03 pm
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Since the merger, I see UA's efforts to gradually but consistently lower everyone's expectations. Some changes are small; some are big - but there is no doubt that they are all intentionally designed to put downward pressure on frequent flyer benefits on every possible level.

I'd argue that most of the complaints you hear are from those of us who remember how great the Mileage Plus program used to be and how far the program has eroded over the past 3 years.

If you're relatively new to UA, then I can see how it generally compares to all the other U.S. based carriers - neither the best nor the worst.

Mediocrity is the goal and they won't stop until it's achieved!
Funny. I notice the opposite (at least on FT). It's newer posters that seem to complain more while long time posters (and long time flyers) seem to take it more in stride.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Comments

This thread is essentially a counterpart to "I'm leaving"/"I'm unhappy" for satisfied UA flyers. While some discussion / challenging is appropriate, lets stay to the issues and not what we think of other posters. We all need to realize that the needs / experiences of others can be and likely are different from ours, so best not to demand others think the same as you. We are different and will react differently. People will disagree and that is what makes the world interesting.

When responding, think of the thread topic and make sure your response contributes to that topic.

Personal attacks and OT comments have and will be deleted.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
I'm here and staying while I remain based in SYD...
UA is the only option ex Syd with a GPU option that works
AA does not have flights and QF Y is worse then UA E+
DL allows for GPU's but only on full fares

Thus... out of the 12+ SYD->USA flights I do... with UA I get to sit in a flat bed instead of a cramped seat for over half the flights without having to use any of my miles

Last edited by LordTentacle; Dec 21, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I'm here and staying while I remain based in SYD...
UA is the only option ex Syd with a GPU option that works
AA does not have flights and QF Y is worse then UA E+
DL allows for GPU's but only on full fares

Thus... out of the 12+ SYD->USA flights I do... with UA I get to sit in a flat bed instead of a cramped seat for over half the flights without having to use any of my miles
FYI, DL now allows them on virtually all fares (save for one that I think is a rarely seen rock bottom discount bucket). Food for thought
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Interesting that those who claim they are satisfied with UA haven't responded to any of the questions about UA raised in post #10.

Does that reflect that it is blind satisfaction?
Love is blind?

If one is a M+ elite, pays for coach, expects coach, and has no other expectations (e.g. no wifi, no IFE, no award inventory, no main line aircraft between major stations), then I can see how UA would be ideal due to the extensive domestic and international route network, free checked bags, priority boarding, best mobile app in commercial aviation, and of course E+ (which compared to AA at least, has a generous number of seats per plane). If UA can succeed in lowering expectations, then that bodes well for its future. Albeit, a future without me using UA as my primary airline.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
FYI, DL now allows them on virtually all fares (save for one that I think is a rarely seen rock bottom discount bucket). Food for thought
Not according to their website?

"Valid for use between Asia, Central America, Europe, India, Australia, North America, South America, and Africa on published Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, M class."

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

"Valid for use between Asia, Central America, Europe, India, Australia, North America, South America, and Africa on published Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, M class."

Thinking those T&Cs are outdated...?

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/delt...onal-upgrades/
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thinking those T&Cs are outdated...?

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/delt...onal-upgrades/
I click on the Delta link and it says on all but E fare.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
I click on the Delta link and it says on all but E fare.
edit.... I was reading it wrong.... and looking at the wrong section

"Valid for use systemwide on published Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class"
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
My first attempt to ask SFO disappeared about how he gets 100% on GPUs and 95% on CPUs, seemingly out of SFO- Please, pretty please, with sugar on top would SFO please tell us how he does this? Instruments not clearing is a major source of disappointment for many fliers. Those kinds of stats would make me over the moon happy with UA.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by zrs70
While MP has taken a turn, and while the soft product (food) is a couple of notches worse, I have yet to face the demons so many write about.

I've logged about 75k miles this year. FAs have been for the most part wonderful. Ground and phone agents are fine. 1Kvoice has been responsive within days, sometimes hours, when I have a concern.

Just about every upgrade has come through.

I dunno. I think I have more serotonin than most!
I believe you must have an excessive amount of something. I think it is great UA is working for you!

I just flew UA last weekend with my family. I have flown over 200k miles this year. We were treated poorly on every connection. In fact on one flight , the minute we stepped on the small jet, the FA started nagging us about our carry on items and made one of us move to accommodate a woman with two children.
On our last flight of return there were two small children crying and screaming (until one finally threw up) in first class for the entire 3 hour flight. There were only eight seats in first class. I was not in one of them. When I say screaming, I mean full lung capacity, no resting. It was miserable.
On several of my most recent flights, the FAs seem to hate their jobs and have acted like the passengers are just bothersome nags. Flying international business class is a complete waste of good money. The service is horrible and certainly not worth thousands of dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.