Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Though it would appear you're on the rational end of the spectrum
Thank you.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Scolding someone for expressing genuine emotion just seems churlish.
I'll look it up!

Originally Posted by maxswanson
Yes, I know most of the benefit are from my GS status. But UA did treat its heavy spender nice. Once I missed my flight from EUROPE to Vancuver for a next day cruise. United got me Air Canada J Ticket to get there timely. And UA's upgrade policy is incredible for GS. Now my family of 5 are on flight fRom US to HKG and all of us get upgraded.

UA is one of few airline did reward its best customers. I flied Air China for over ten years and tried ANA for two years. United network and service overall is best. Now I am also AA EXP but it cannot compare with UA. Whenever UA is available I do not care its price higher or not.

That is the reason I love UA.
Now that I read another of your posts, I understand what you mean and why you say 'I love united'. Very happy that UA works well for you!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
I got sometimes stellar service by United as a 1K. Usually, when something goes above and beyond the call of duty, it is in NRT or SFO. BOS not bad either.

EWR, BOM and DEL probably the worst places for service. When I have problems, these are likely suspects. It is my own experience though, I am sure some hard core sCO will accuse me of being biased against Continental but... Well, so far, it holds true for me.

But these days, I feel that perhaps United is less interested by my business, which is mostly Y (but always W and up). The Y cabin has been made feel much cheaper than before, and I wonder what they will come up with next. Meanwhile, other airlines are creating Y+ cabins I can afford and, albeit without being perfect, really put much more of a joy in traveling again. More elbow space, better food and drinks.

I understand they must take care of the VHVF, but how many are really there, and aren't they neglecting possibly profitable sub segments? Sometimes, I feel they went for the very very top and then everybody is at the very bottom. Not totally of course - there are still privileges in 1K that keeps me going back for United (upgrades, free E+, redeemable miles), but no doubt there is a feeling that my business is considered less important than before.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skidooman
But these days, I feel that perhaps United is less interested by my business, which is mostly Y (but always W and up). The Y cabin has been made feel much cheaper than before, and I wonder what they will come up with next. Meanwhile, other airlines are creating Y+ cabins I can afford and, albeit without being perfect, really put much more of a joy in traveling again. More elbow space, better food and drinks.

I understand they must take care of the VHVF, but how many are really there, and aren't they neglecting possibly profitable sub segments? Sometimes, I feel they went for the very very top and then everybody is at the very bottom. Not totally of course - there are still privileges in 1K that keeps me going back for United (upgrades, free E+, redeemable miles), but no doubt there is a feeling that my business is considered less important than before.
I feel the same way. So far this year - as in years past - my average spend is running 12-14cpm. I've never been one of those MRs who exploit rock bottom fares and attain 1K in that manner, and because UA's current management has chosen to lump me in with those customers, this will be my last year as a 1K, and for the first time ever, more of my business with be with the competition than with UA.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by kb1992
OK, I have been fairly critical to UA, mostly the devaluation of Mileage Plus since 2012 merger. In particular, RDM based on spend and stingy award availability in premium cabins are my biggest complaints.

Recently I flew LH and LX for the first time. I was underwhelmed by their biz class product. This surprised me since I often hear people saying LH/LX are much better than UA blah blah.

BOS-FRA LH The plane was 748 and upper deck looks huge. Biz class was half empty so I had a window seat with an empty seat next to me. The seat is OK and I won't say it's any better than UA 744 upper deck. The food was so so (just my personal taste). I was surprised that no amenity kit was given (although the flight was short east bound). I was disappointed to see such small personal video screen. Senator lounge at BOS is slightly better than United Club but not as good as NH or SQ lounges.

FRA-ARN LH OK, the biz class is essentially Y class with an empty middle seat. The pitch looks same as Y class. Come on, at least give us some extra legroom to justify biz class? This is worse than UA domestic F. I will avoid LH intra-European flight more than 3 hours.

PVG-ZRH LX The plane was 340. Nice to have aisle access for most seats, but those odd rows AB seats with only 1 console and little storage space for glass, shoes, anything look miserable. I had 12K, but the seat is not wide and not comfy. sorry. I did appreciate the "massage" feature. Personal video looks ancient with tiny screen, very disappointed. Food was average, and I didn't get my first choice (fish). Amenity kit is junk, worse than UA's.

ZRH Senator lounge is slightly better than Biz Class lounge. But the shower room is the worst I have ever seen. Room is small, facility is minimum standard, and there is no slipper.

ZRH-BOS LX The plane was 330. I did manage to get 4A which has lots of space, and it's in the mini cabin next to F. Again, the seat is not wide and not comfy. Amenity kit is so so and the personal video screen is tiny. The crew was very good.

Overall impression: LH and LX biz class is OK, but not great. I actually prefer sUA 744 upper deck and sCO 777 C seats. To me, the ability to sleep comfortably is the deciding factor. Don't care much about else.

As long as GPU clears for me and UA doesn't institute fare based mileage redemption (a.k.a. half million miles for biz class award to Asia) , I'll stay with UA.
Just to tack on to your review, the only things I like about the LX hard product in C are the space/privacy (where applicable), the high likelihood of scoring an aisle seat with no one climbing over you. I find the seat narrow and hard, the massage a joke, and agree with poor IFE.

I was completely underwhelmed by the Senator Lounge in ZRH (found the Biz Lounge to be the same if not better, and certainly bigger), though I disagree about the shower. I have had some of the best showers, with great pressure, in ZRH.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:09 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
FRA-ARN LH OK, the biz class is essentially Y class with an empty middle seat. The pitch looks same as Y class. Come on, at least give us some extra legroom to justify biz class? This is worse than UA domestic F. I will avoid LH intra-European flight more than 3 hours.
This is the case on most intra-Europe carriers, and has been the case for decades. Still tend to get a hot foil-covered meal, while the "real" coach flyers are munching on hard candy (no, the meal is not worth it; usually fly in these seats for other reasons).
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by halls120
I feel the same way. So far this year - as in years past - my average spend is running 12-14cpm. I've never been one of those MRs who exploit rock bottom fares and attain 1K in that manner, and because UA's current management has chosen to lump me in with those customers, this will be my last year as a 1K, and for the first time ever, more of my business with be with the competition than with UA.
My understanding is that 12-14cpm is barely above break-even for a commercial airline.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
My understanding is that 12-14cpm is barely above break-even for a commercial airline.
United Q2 2015 Results

CASM Consolidated Operations (cents)
3 months ended June 30

2015: 13.09 (11.9% decrease, fuel?)

2014: 14.91

CASM Mainline Operations (cents)
3 months ended June 30

2015: 12.42 (12.2% decrease, fuel?)

2014: 14.09

So, even in this low fuel price environment, a 12 - 14 cpm passenger is break even.

Airline needs you, but not enough to show you the love of a GS (.40 - .50 cpm) or 'high value' 1K (.20 cpm?)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Sure, but the pricing model of airlines makes CASM irrelevant in determining the profitability of individual customers. Given UA is filling plenty of its seats with kayakers/kettles paying <8cpm (and sometimes much less), I'd say a 12-14cpm flier doing 100k+ miles BIS every year is nevertheless pretty valuable to UA's bottom line. If a lot of these 12-14cpm 1Ks leave, that's a lot of yield that UA is giving up if they can only find kayakers/kettles to fill the empty seats left behind.

So while no one would disagree that UA should probably pay more attention to HVFs than 12-14cpm fliers (although I'm not sure UA has done a good job at that either), I wouldn't be at all surprised if UA's financial underperformance is in part due to spurning previously-loyal customers in the 12-14cpm revenue range.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:18 am

OK, I have been fairly critical to UA, mostly the devaluation of Mileage Plus since 2012 merger. In particular, RDM based on spend and stingy award availability in premium cabins are my biggest complaints.

Recently I flew LH and LX for the first time. I was underwhelmed by their biz class product. This surprised me since I often hear people saying LH/LX are much better than UA blah blah.

BOS-FRA LH The plane was 748 and upper deck looks huge. Biz class was half empty so I had a window seat with an empty seat next to me. The seat is OK and I won't say it's any better than UA 744 upper deck. The food was so so (just my personal taste). I was surprised that no amenity kit was given (although the flight was short east bound). I was disappointed to see such small personal video screen. Senator lounge at BOS is slightly better than United Club but not as good as NH or SQ lounges.

PVG-ZRH LX The plane was 340. Nice to have aisle access for most seats, but those odd rows AB seats with only 1 console and little storage space for glass, shoes, anything look miserable. I had 12K, but the seat is not wide and not comfy. sorry. I did appreciate the "massage" feature. Personal video looks ancient with tiny screen, very disappointed. Food was average, and I didn't get my first choice (fish). Amenity kit is junk, worse than UA's.

ZRH Senator lounge is slightly better than Biz Class lounge. But the shower room is the worst I have ever seen. Room is small, facility is minimum standard, and there is no slipper.

ZRH-BOS LX The plane was 330. I did manage to get 4A which has lots of space, and it's in the mini cabin next to F. Again, the seat is not wide and not comfy. Amenity kit is so so and the personal video screen is tiny. The crew was very good.

Overall impression: LH and LX biz class is OK, but not great. I actually prefer sUA 744 upper deck and sCO 777 C seats. To me, the ability to sleep comfortably is the deciding factor. Don't care much about else.

As long as GPU clears for me and UA doesn't institute fare based mileage redemption (a.k.a. half million miles for biz class award to Asia) , I'll stay with UA.
^very well said. Unfortunately, most of my travels the last year have been to CH, i.e a bad nightmare of constant MX cancellations. So while I vastly prefer the 3-class 767s that fly to Zurich/Geneva over the LH Group offerings, my entire team has switched over Swiss for all our travel. The seat honestly sucks. I'm left wishing for IPTE (especially IPTE F) when I'm in those miserable LX coffins. Not only are they hard and narrow, but the damn thing goes a few inches above the ground in bed mode! It's not a nice business class at all.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:02 am

If that is true, then long-haul flights are in big trouble.

I always pay W and up (so not el cheapo fares), and I get still 13 cpm to Asia.

I doubt there would be a market to fill all seats at more than 17.9cpm, because we still are talking about $1600-$2000 RT from the East Coast.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Does the CASM figure include freight revenue? I would imagine there are quite a flew routes out there with the freight 'pays the freight' on the flight. Also I imagine the model on most flights is to break even on the vast majority of passengers and make the money on the premium cabin so I don't think UA (or anyone) is really worried about getting much profit out of the Y cabin....asides from all the fees!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by skidooman
If that is true, then long-haul flights are in big trouble.

I always pay W and up (so not el cheapo fares), and I get still 13 cpm to Asia.

I doubt there would be a market to fill all seats at more than 17.9cpm, because we still are talking about $1600-$2000 RT from the East Coast.
As I understand it, CASM is significantly higher for short haul than for long haul, because a chunk of costs are come from take off, landing and airport handling.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As I understand it, CASM is significantly higher for short haul than for long haul, because a chunk of costs are come from take off, landing and airport handling.
That is what my instinct would tell me, yes.

So, a simple fixation on revenue per mile per person is a bit short-sighted. I don't think my business is not profitable to United. If it is, then maybe 75% or even 80% of the plane isn't profitable to fly...
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This is absolutely correct. During take-off aircraft engines usually burn twice more fuel than during cruise flight.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:59 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator note: We're getting off topic here. This thread is titled "Am I ignorantly blissful? I'm Happy with United." Let's keep on-topic.

Thanks,
l'etoile
UA moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.