Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

While MP has taken a turn, and while the soft product (food) is a couple of notches worse, I have yet to face the demons so many write about.

I've logged about 75k miles this year. FAs have been for the most part wonderful. Ground and phone agents are fine. 1Kvoice has been responsive within days, sometimes hours, when I have a concern.

Just about every upgrade has come through.

I dunno. I think I have more serotonin than most!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
The utility of this forum is greatly diminished by the unending spewage of pointless snark and of one-upmanship of pointless snark. I would be grateful for your excess serotonin.

The signal to noise ratio is mostly noise, very little signal.

I try to find useful information and pointers to optimize my flying. All I get is "gee, look how clever my snarky patter shows me to be".
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
+1 Snark (and sizzle) generates replies and "hits". While all is not great, it is far from the train wreck most would have you believe.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

If all of my upgrades came through (see my percentage below as a 1K)- I'd take the same attitude you do. Many here have had a significant CPU drop.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
I agree with OP, and everyone trying to one up the bad story of someone else.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by zrs70
While MP has taken a turn, and while the soft product (food) is a couple of notches worse, I have yet to face the demons so many write about.
Well, it's not March, 2015, yet. Have you plotted out how you'll do under the new program? Going to bring in 75,000 miles on any tickets you buy?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
+1 Snark (and sizzle) generates replies and "hits". While all is not great, it is far from the train wreck most would have you believe.
+1
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
While all is not great, it is far from the train wreck most would have you believe.
Each of us has our breaking point. Mine was the devaluation in million miler benefits. Others left because of PQDs. Now we see a new round of flyers leaving over miles accrued based on spending. What group will leave next?

Fortunately for UA, they have many loyal flyers that will hang in there with them no matter what they change. Many are locked in by route network or corporate contracts, and UA counts on them to be there no matter what. It's important they hold onto those flyers and bring in new high-revenue flyers to generate revenue. We'll see in the months to come if they can accomplish that.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
you dont know BAD till you have sufferred Air Canada.

yah all my upgrades clear, my 1k voice emails give me money for virtually nothing. I have to agree the food in Business class, SUCKS, but i paid economy and upgraded, so the slop in economy is worse, and really thats what i paid for.
I can fly with lots of friends trade SWU so they can upgrade, and United has treated me well for 13 years. I will have 2MM in 2+ years and i left the worse most ignorant airline in the world call Air Canada,with 800k.
So each day i am just glad i don't suffer flying with Air Canada. that makes United look amazing!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm not unhappy with UA. My #1 issue is that when things go wrong, such as IRROPS, I want someone who can fix it fast, and probably half the time that doesn't happen for me. I'm a patient, reasonable person, but telling me things like I can't get on another flight for 2 days because of a cancellation isn't acceptable. I shouldn't have to look up flights on other airlines and direct the agents. That's just one example, but since the merger it seems employees have little interest in finding solutions the way pmUA agents did.

I had a lot of complaints with the system for a while but those have generally subsided.

My biggest fear is with their apparent business direction. Many of the changes seem short sighted to me and I'm worried they'll eventually result in additional cuts that DO make me unhappy!

I still find this forum very helpful. You just need to weed through the posts about cashews, limes, toblerones, and being 20th on the upgrade list. Even the recent RDM changes spawned a thread that was full of complaints, but also a lot of good questions that others were able to answer.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I'm happy to hear that some are satisfied with this airline. That being said, OP lives at a hub (well kind of anyway) that has relatively good weather and a large percentage of mainline service. Those of us at ORD/EWR etc are much more exposed to the horrors of UA IRROPS and RJ creep that form much of our dissatisfaction.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:00 pm

Really?

Originally Posted by zrs70

I've logged about 75k miles this year. FAs have been for the most part wonderful. Ground and phone agents are fine. 1Kvoice has been responsive within days, sometimes hours, when I have a concern.

Just about every upgrade has come through.

I dunno. I think I have more serotonin than most!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Well, it's not March, 2015, yet. Have you plotted out how you'll do under the new program? Going to bring in 75,000 miles on any tickets you buy?
I don't bring in 75k miles on any tickets I buy now. They increased the upside and downside, based on spend. I'm on record saying I disagree with the change, but like the OP this won't significantly affect my happiness with UA.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
Just look at FB and Twitter -- not that many happy people.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have to agree with the OP......I have never had any issues with UA or services. Yes food isnt the greatest but thats basically a standard now for any US based carrier flying either domestic or international.

All in all I have met some great FA's and kiosk staff and have always had any issue or query resolved immediately on the 1K line, not to mention not waited for more than 1 or 2 mins for a 1K line agent. Also I have had nearly 99% of my CPU's come through and the flights I called 1K to ask about using GPU's had immediate availablity and clearance.

This forum like most review avenues, sees mostly only the negative side of a product. Ironically, the vast majority of ppl complaining against UA are still giving them loads of money and flying them! Its like some folks seem to think they are entitled to the very very best when they are flying and how dare UA change a product or not offer the same service they experienced years ago. The merger was years ago, and yes UAL has not ironed out kinks since then and should of, the entire world knows this, but stop comparing the UA now to pmCO and pmUA. The UAL of now is what you are going to get. If you have an issue once or twice well you know what, $hit happens. If you have issues three or more times why not move onto another airline? Seems like common sense to me.

Knock on wood my great experience continues and to the folks who actually give constructive advice and knowledge on this forum, please continue as relative newbies to high mileage flying greatly appreciate your experience and patience to answer our questions.

To all the UA folks I have interacted with, I greatly appreciate your excellent service

Last edited by trini19; Jun 19, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.