Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:15 am

I'm with the OP. No complaints. In 30 years of flying, no cancellations other than because of snow. I pay economy, I get economy. I'm not aware of anything in the fare rules that says I'm entitled to more. When I get more, that's a bonus. Yes, the food in economy is not great, but I can deal with that as long as places like Balducci's stay open. I'm not saying UA is the best airline. They go where I need to go, at the price I'm willing to pay, at the times that I need to travel.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
I'm with the OP. No complaints. In 30 years of flying, no cancellations other than because of snow. I pay economy, I get economy. I'm not aware of anything in the fare rules that says I'm entitled to more. When I get more, that's a bonus. Yes, the food in economy is not great, but I can deal with that as long as places like Balducci's stay open. I'm not saying UA is the best airline. They go where I need to go, at the price I'm willing to pay, at the times that I need to travel.
+1.
i've had my share of cxlld flights, unimpressive meals etc...and frankly think UAL does fine...more frequently irked by individual fellow travelers than i am by UAL
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta DM (no bag tags), United Silver, Spirit - one and done, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis- owes me one
Thumbs up Another happy customer

I really have no complaints about UA either. In fact, I rather appreciate them.

Beginning this year they have started service to the airport near where I live. It's an hour connection to ORD on a CRJ but it beats driving in traffic an hour and a half to MSP. It's funny how bearable the Barbie Jet is when considering the alternative.

My departing flight last Monday morning was cancelled due to fog but United seamlessly rescheduled me on the afternoon flight. Last October when the goofball tried to burn up the flight control center in Chicago my flight was cancelled as well. Since flying to Chicago is my only option from my home airport wasn't going to work, United found me a flight out of MSP that avoided Chicago - even though it was a Delta flight.

And not to mention, United's planes seem much cleaner than Delta's or WN's. If I have to fly Delta I pack some wet wipes to clean off the seat, based on experience. As far as food goes, I can pack my own bag of snacks.

Delta eliminated service to my home airport immediately after taking over Northwest a couple years ago. Granted the Saab 340 Mesaba flew wasn't great, even for a 15 minute flight to MSP, but it was convenient. I've flown for work for over 10 years and never flew United prior to this year (first trip involved a leg from DEN-IAH on a Dreamliner. )

I will continue to fly them to support their commitment to our small airport. If the load factors aren't high enough we will lose the service and I will have to go back to someone else. But in the meantime, count me as a satisfied UA flyer.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Interesting that those who claim they are satisfied with UA haven't responded to any of the questions about UA raised in post #10.

Does that reflect that it is blind satisfaction?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Welcome to FT, a great source of useful information for frequent (UA) flyers looking for answers. FT offers different and sometimes priceless comments...and these are based on experiences from millions of miles of travel by savvy business travelers...travelers who sometimes feel strongly about "their" airline.

Hope you will enjoy FT, and please continue to share your comments and observations.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Not always but occasionally changed reservations for me and waived the $300 fee.
Rerouted me if necessary without big problems.
I still think their award travel is a pretty good value.

I find their flight crews to be very professional and helpful. When I call for assistance they answer promptly.

Lounges adequate.
As a 1K, I noticed you didn't touch on how you're doing with your global upgrades. Care to comment about that area? Are you clearing 100% at a minimal extra cost?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
You "pay economy" and you "fly economy"... I don't quite see it that way. UA (and most airlines) offer the elite programs to garner our loyalty. I see that as a promise of certain benefits, even if I "pay economy." But when these benefits are chipped-away with TOD upgrade offers, and numerous other program devaluations, it is cause to complain.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by CLEContinental
If United could just deliver a more consistent product, much like I've experienced on AA, Delta, or Alaska, I think they could eliminate a majority of complaints, even if their product is consistently a notch below those other airlines.
I agree completely, and "consistency" is the one word I always use in my survey responses. But, last year I posted "I see it getting better with every flight" and had to put a FT Flame Suit on after. This year, it has continued to get better. There are ups and downs, but mostly ups, and the downs are rare for me this year. And I've flow a lot.

I see a lot of compares to DL on FT. I've flown only two trips (~6 segments) on DL this year, and they were perfectly consistent, but the best of DL was not better than the best of UA.

Sure, it's one example, but on my most recent TATL DL flight, they were rushed for reasons unclear, and when I asked for a hot towel at breakfast, was told "no time." On UA TPAC this last week, breakfast service was delayed by terrific turbulence. I asked if I had missed it, and was told they skipped it for limited time, yet they still brought one to me. Little things make the difference, and after waking up on a long haul, the hot towel to me is the best end of the flight. (It sure isn't the breakfast!!!) Before you think it's just status, the Purser on the DL TATL thought my wife and were both Diamond.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Interesting that those who claim they are satisfied with UA haven't responded to any of the questions about UA raised in post #10.

Does that reflect that it is blind satisfaction?
Why must every post that speaks positively of UA, and responses that agree to said positive post, answer to an inquisition from those that disagree?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:19 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
As a 1K, I noticed you didn't touch on how you're doing with your global upgrades. Care to comment about that area? Are you clearing 100% at a minimal extra cost?
Let me respond to your questions since I was one that posted that I was pretty happy with UA. GPU's for 2014 100%^ and for all past years prior to 2014 100%^ and all flights booked for 2015 and GPU's 100%^, also the four International flights I did with co-pay and miles 100% cleared, as for CPU's domestically about 95%

Last edited by sfo; Dec 21, 2014 at 11:24 am
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Since the merger, I see UA's efforts to gradually but consistently lower everyone's expectations. Some changes are small; some are big - but there is no doubt that they are all intentionally designed to put downward pressure on frequent flyer benefits on every possible level.

I'd argue that most of the complaints you hear are from those of us who remember how great the Mileage Plus program used to be and how far the program has eroded over the past 3 years.

If you're relatively new to UA, then I can see how it generally compares to all the other U.S. based carriers - neither the best nor the worst.

Mediocrity is the goal and they won't stop until it's achieved!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sfo
as for CPU's domestically about 95%
I heard that there are too many GSs flying out SFO every day. This CPU success rate (95%) for 1K seems to be comparable to failure rates experienced by other 1Ks at SFO. Please reveal the secret and you will be the most admired person at FT.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm Reason: unneeded remark removed
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Why must every post that speaks positively of UA, and responses that agree to said positive post, [have to] answer to an inquisition from those that disagree?
^^
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
You "pay economy" and you "fly economy"... I don't quite see it that way. UA (and most airlines) offer the elite programs to garner our loyalty. I see that as a promise of certain benefits, even if I "pay economy." But when these benefits are chipped-away with TOD upgrade offers, and numerous other program devaluations, it is cause to complain.
Exactly. Half the text in the 'mystatus' website is about upgrades, CPUs and GPUs. That's the issue. They make these statements and then even 1Ks have a hard time seeing the benefits.

Air travel, especially FF programs and rewards is in flux right now. Once the airlines' messaging gets in tune with reality of what they are offering there will be a lot more 'satisfaction'. Nothing is worse than over-promising and under-delivering. We'll eventually will get to not-promising and under-delivering, or at least dollarizing everything, a much more stable situation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:39 pm Reason: removed response to removed post, stay focus on the subject and not each other
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Why must every post that speaks positively of UA, and responses that agree to said positive post, answer to an inquisition from those that disagree?
Have you ever gone to see a movie and really enjoyed it and all your friends enjoyed it and the critics said it was trash? Or had a great time at a restaurant and the critics claim it's patrons all get food poisoning?

Same concept in many other areas.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 21, 2014 at 2:30 pm Reason: focus on issue not other posters
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
First, let me say that the mods obviously merged the thread started today into one that began many months ago so I see that I've already posted many times in this combined thread. I don't plan to repeat what I've said in detail. Overall, I am very pleased with UA in 2014. Thus, I am moving all of my flying from AA to UA in 2015. My experience on both airlines was similar but my treatment as a GS on UA was superior to my treatment as a CK/EXP on AA.

Also, I know several others in my boat who are also moving all of their flying to UA in 2015 due to the mileage program. I acknowledge that there are many who don't like UA for their own reasons, but I know there are many who also like UA for their own reasons. I'm in the positive camp and have noticed substantial improvement from UA in 2014 so that I'll commit all my flying to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.