Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:35 am

I was happy at the beginning of the year, but everything is on a regional now and usually delayed.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by johnden
Happy fliers are the type of elites UA wants.

Unsubstantiated rumors from Chicago are "elites are good", but only the "right" elites. At least some of what UA is doing is turning millennial kettles into new elites that don't have the entitlement from the bygone era.

It's a LCC world. Those moving to the legacies are happy for any elite benefits. It's time to create a new generation of elites based on the new industry dynamics.

One day elite will mean you get to lean against the wall instead of stand in the middle. And that will be a big deal.

Exactly, there are plenty of customers in various market sspaces who have varied expectations.

Millions of people shop at Walmart, do so regularly, and are content doing so. Personally, I can't stand them, and avoid them as much as possible.

Walmart would have to change their business quite a bit to make me a happy customer. Same with United.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by janddouglas
For 1K, the major benefits for me are:
-GPU's - don't exist on DL
Yes, they do exist on DL. And they exist on AA as well. In fact, you get 8 of them a year and they are good on any fare.

-1k desk when things go wrong - they always get me home
Six months ago, I was flying SFO to SAN. Mainline flight was cancelled. UA protected me . . . two days later. I cancelled the ticket and flew Virgin American. United only protects you when it is convenient for them to do so.

-Award Redemption - way better than DL, more choice of carrier, better search options even with the mileage increases this year.
What about American?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
Just about every upgrade has come through.
This would raise my satisfaction and probably do wonders for most people. No doubt you have better CPU success at LAX than the hordes of 1Ks here at SFO, not to mention IAD, IAH and ORD.

Quite simply an F seat is often the difference between a tolerable 4-5 hour journey and a cramped unpleasant one with elbows jammed.

However I would generally concur with you about the FAs, GAs and 1K line - UA customer service is certainly no worse than what I received at DL, and I would not count on AA remaining better as the US team integrates.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
- MP miles are still the most valuable miles for flight award availability IMO.
This is the other critical factor that most of the DL and AA fanboys conveniently ignore. This year alone I have burned 400k+ miles on UA saver award tix (mostly C/F international and to OGG). Checked DL, AA, AS but zero availability on or near the dates I need. WN is sometimes an option, depending on pricing, but of course there is no F.

If using miles for saver fares is something you value, it is impossible to justify DL, and AA is getting harder.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 23, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Au, IHG Au
Still gappy with UA

I fly 8-10 TPACs per year on my own dime. My only USA flights this year were 1 hour or less, all on mainline. I find E+ Seats on TPAC flights to be decent, the flight attendants are excellent and the flights largely on time. From LAX to Asia UA has a good network of routes, so this airline works just fine for me.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Bear96
Hmmm, so on that trip:

- You had too many carry-ons and an F/A called you out on it (which personally I like, so it leaves room for the carry-ons of others who have followed the carry-on rules, and it is not like F/As LIKE to "nag" people about carry-ons; usually it has to be pretty bad before they will actively intervene);

- A F/A tried to seat a mother with her children (not sure what you mean by
"made" you move; you can decline such a request and keep your originally-assigned seat); and

- There was a screaming baby on the plane, which can and does happen on every airline around the world daily.

There may be legitimate complaints to be made about UA, but I am not seeing them here.
First, no, not too many or oversized carry ons. We had already been moved to first row and now were asked to move again. We were not singled out, the FA ramble blaming the gate agent and baggage crew was ongoing as we boarded. He was nagging and it was the first time I had experienced it. Yes, we could have refused to move as others had obviously done before the three of us boarded.
The FA did not MAKE us move, he tried to embarrass us. We did not have a problem with anything but the FA attitude. The FA was flippant and rude. I prefer a welcome aboard, thanks for flying with us instead of a running commentary berating passengers, the baggage and gate crew. As a long time customer, with a spend over 60k this year, I believe my complaint is valid.
As for the children, I agree, it could be any flight on any airline. I have flown with my three teenagers since they were six months old. I understand there is not much to do but hope for the best when traveling with children. I have never experienced three solid hours of two toddlers' non stop screaming at the top of the lungs. I guess I have been just plain lucky.
Hmm, so I guess our opinions of good service when spending money may differ a bit.

Last edited by Stella23; Dec 23, 2014 at 9:28 pm Reason: addition
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
..and it allows me to see my kids and wife one extra night every week...
UA endows you with night vision? One night a week? That is brilliant!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stella23
Hmm, so I guess our opinions of good service when spending money may differ a bit.
They probably don't differ that much. But if those were examples of "bad service," you will probably not be happy with any airline if you fly them enough.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by weero
There is nothing guaranteed on UA anymore. And my last 6 upgrades on AA were to fully flat seats with aisle access.
Because you only visit LHR GRU and HKG ? Do you ever see Tokyo ? or Seoul ? or Helsinki ?

And your LH comparison is absolutely pointless because it's an added benefit on top of 100% flat bed on UA, so it's a bonus. You have zero chance whatsoever of redeeming that SWU on BA, no matter how much of their highway robbery YQ and UK APD you're willing to cough up.

On top of that, one can use UA GPU on flat bed all the way to far flung destinations like Sydney Dubai Singapore Lagos and Mumbai.

Last edited by 787fan; Dec 24, 2014 at 8:03 am
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 787fan
On top of that, one can use UA GPU on flat bed all the way to far flung destinations like Sydney Dubai Singapore Lagos and Mumbai.
You can upgrade Mumbai all the way to Sydney on one GPU, but good luck finding the space.

It's only a material benefit if one can use it. And keep in mind on UA, one has to buy W+ for the lottery ticket. If you fail the GPU upgrade, you may have overpaid for economy.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by 787fan
Because you only visit LHR GRU and HKG ? Do you ever see Tokyo ? or Seoul ? or Helsinki ?

And your LH comparison is absolutely pointless because it's an added benefit on top of 100% flat bed on UA, so it's a bonus. You have zero chance whatsoever of redeeming that SWU on BA, no matter how much of their highway robbery YQ and UK APD you're willing to cough up.

+1

My family has enjoyed eight upgrades in the past couple of years on ultra long haul routes including flights to BOM, SYD, and DXB. This is a huge benefit to me/us and is unrivaled when compared to AA or DAL.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
You can upgrade Mumbai all the way to Sydney on one GPU, but good luck finding the space.

It's only a material benefit if one can use it. And keep in mind on UA, one has to buy W+ for the lottery ticket. If you fail the GPU upgrade, you may have overpaid for economy.
Actually of all my GPUs last year, the only one that failed was actually a transcon p.s. JFK-SFO for my parents (well it's friday noon flight in Sept so maybe all the GS consultants were ahead of them). Even my friday evening EWR-LHR cleared successfully.

Another benefit of the RPUs/GPUs is that you can upgrade to a flat bed to Hawaii, something that no AA flight offers IIRC. It makes that 10 hour journey from EWR to HNL that much more bearable.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by channa

It's not a lottery.

But you, of all people, already know that.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I hear Lagos is lovely this time of year
it's on my bucket list
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
It's not a lottery.

But you, of all people, already know that.

It's not a lottery, but it's a gamble.

At least on AA and DL, you can buy the lowest fare, request an upgrade, and if it doesn't clear, you're not out any extra cash.

On UA, you can pay hundreds of dollars more to be put on a waitlist that doesn't always work right, let alone clear. So you are potentially out extra money for the gamble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.