Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by ws8n
Have anyone seen United's facebook page?
It's cluttered full of complaints!

Sometimes I wonder why they bother with a facebook page when all it does is let customers vent, and scaring off potential customers.
I'm sure there are many people that are unhappy. However, I'm not, and I don't find any want to agree or feel sympathy toward people who call me an "employee" or "blind, deaf, and dumb" becuase I can't help what my experiences are.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Curious how some posters will repeat themselves ad nauseam to convince others that they're not allowed to be happy.

Most of my flights are a thousand miles here, a thousand miles there. I don't worry about limes, cashews, and what brand of vodka UA serves. Once I'm in my seat, I just expect the crew to get me from A to B, and they do. I'm more interested in what happens before my flight. Pre check, premier phone line, boarding group 1, CPUs, RPUs. I'm far better off than those without status.

I understand that UA is underperforming, and I understand that others have different priorities. Message received. Now let's move on.
There are far, far more of us sharing that sentiment than the nattering nabobs posting here and on social media. True for all three majors.

Just put the nabobs on your poster ignore list and glean the useful information here, and life is good. The imminent failure of (airline) is trumpeted by about a dozen posters here, so it's a short list.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
I see that the narrative is changing.

The fact that there were many, many more miners than canaries would have had interesting consequences in the past, too. @:-)

Dave
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
I have only flown UA a handful of times a year for the last few years and my record on those experiences are 50/50 (good/bad). CXLD flights, 3+ hr delays, surly GA's, etc. I don't complain here since it is futile with the "suck it up" crowd so why even bother.

On another note, I will say this: My SO who works these UA express flights OO, and when she has to fly the UA flights vs DL side (which is pretty common out of IAH), the comments she gets in the F cabin (in particular) have been increasingly "hostile" towards Smisek. When she asks them, have you been hanging out on flyertalk.....they comment back, "what's flyertalk?"

I am glad you are happy with UA. Make sure you let Toby Enqvist, the VP of Project Quality know so he and his 13 people dedicated to this effort can get a boost in morale.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:48 am

Count me as one of those that is perfectly happy with UA.
As a lowly silver, 9/16 eligible segments upgraded (far more than I expected or even hoped for). I have had 2 irrops ever (out of probably 150 segments), both for crew issues, and was moved to OAL for one, arriving slightly earlier than originally planned, and booked by UA's system on the next connection for the other, arriving just about 3 hours late to my home. UA even compensated me for the 3 hour delay (as an exception). Had one issue with a flight attendant; again UA customer service made it right.
I have chosen mostly UA for my roughly 30-40 segments/year because they have always been the cheapest alternative for the trips I make (I consistently pay about 6-7 cpm). I always have connections (often through Houston, occasionally ORD, EWR, or Denver) and virtually always fly domestically. Have had a few flights on Delta and US, and one or two on AA. I see no discernible difference between the three majors and US was pretty awful the few times I have flown them.
I will have to spend on my UA/Chase card to keep my lowly status, which is no fun, but not unreasonable given the fares that I consistently buy, and I will get lots of redeemable miles for it, so that works. The change to revenue based miles earning is also a negative, but I only earn about 5-10% of my miles from flying, so this is negligible. Yes, this probably makes MP a credit card company dressed up as a frequent flyer program, but it certainly works for me.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Great Service from GS line and UC

Just returned from a trip to Hawaii and have to call out 2 exceptional UA people. Long story short, booked in Y, UG to F on 2 cabin 772 HNL to DEN. Plane arrives from DEN and it is a 3 cabin international config 772. I call GS line and ask if there is a buy up option available (already checked in hours ago). No dice.

HUCA and got the greatest lady that said she couldn't do it from her end, but she would call the UC in HNL and see what she could do. Two mins later she is back and says "listen for a page from the desk". 30 seconds later I am paged and before I can even walk to the desk the agent is running toward me with my new Global First Boarding Pass! I hesitate to give their names on this forum for fear someone reads it and turns them in for doing something outside the rules for a loyal customer, but I wanted the board to know about it. I will send a note about them to UA under some other guise so they get the proper props.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by goingbananas
I don't complain here since it is futile with the "suck it up" crowd so why even bother.
I wouldn't really call them (us?) the "suck it up" crowd - it's just that sometimes people post a lot of negative stuff on here just to vent, or perhaps try and get back at UA by convincing others to leave. I remain reasonably happy with UA, but do understand that the domestic product especially has fallen under Smisek, and so many feel understandably venomous toward UA.

I remain hopeful that (a) FlyerTalk will continue to be a valuable information source for people, rather than just a place to vent, and (b) that United will improve once Smisek is gone and under a new regime. I've been flying as an adult since the 70s and know that airlines rise and fall over time.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by StingWest

I remain hopeful that (a) FlyerTalk will continue to be a valuable information source for people, rather than just a place to vent, and (b) that United will improve once Smisek is gone and under a new regime. I've been flying as an adult since the 70s and know that airlines rise and fall over time.
The problem is people tell their experiences (good or bad), here on this board and if it doesn't fit some (them, us, etc), it is venting. There is at least still some good information that comes out (eg...the whole P fare cluster in IRROPS situation, when people push back on what UA is telling them), but even in that example, some think they are venting or should suck it up.

Hey on Smisek, I agree totally. I was too was flying since they 70's (albeit a kid) as I grew up in the airline business (a company that doesn't exist today) and logged over 3MM with UA up until this merger/takeover/CF pick your words. I would like to see the GS service get back to the way it was when it first started and the CS level for 1K's back then. I just hope it is not too late for UA with Smisek at the helm there is the opportunity for UA to rise again.....

YMMV....
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAL250
United treats me well. Anyone that has to insult people and tell them that "NO you can't be happy!" is just a fool. If you hate United so much why are you still here on this forum?
Because these forums are a free expression of thoughts and ideas, both positive and negative. I'm very unhappy with United but yet here I am posting and I will stay here. I still have knowledge about the carrier that I can share.

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Just don't even bother. The arrogance displayed by some (not all) of the posters on here is astounding sometimes, and it's best to just let them blow off steam.

You and I know that UA, while it has it's bad moments, is not the terrible airline FT makes it out to be. And we don't need to be told how we think.
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I'm sure there are many people that are unhappy. However, I'm not, and I don't find any want to agree or feel sympathy toward people who call me an "employee" or "blind, deaf, and dumb" becuase I can't help what my experiences are.
All do respect but you are young. While that isn't an insult, a lot of us who are older remember how United used to be. You're also fortunate in getting to travel with your family on (presumably) their dime, not your own. Gives you a bit of a different perspective than others.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
-Yes-
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I hate some of these changes with MP - PQD, revenue based RDM's, etc. I hate all of the the RJ's everywhere. I hate the fact that as a silver, I'm batting about 10% on upgrades this year. I hate the fact that my employer pretty much forces me to take the lowest priced carrier on the schedule we need, which many times isn't UA. I hate the fact that Smisek seems to think he can shrink the company into profitability.

All of these things are true, but I don't hate UA, and I don't think I'm leaving any time soon. I've had 2 IRROPS within the last 3 weeks and both were handled well by UA. MP just works for me for the most part, and I think I'll be sticking with it for the time being.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
All do respect but you are young. While that isn't an insult, a lot of us who are older remember how United used to be. You're also fortunate in getting to travel with your family on (presumably) their dime, not your own. Gives you a bit of a different perspective than others.

I remember how PMCO used to be (I never flew PMUA until the merger), and yes, it was better. I've never argued that the new UA is better or even the same as PMCO. In fact, when I was younger (and had an axe to grind), I hated the new UA and Smisek because it took the PMCO I loved. As I've matured over the past 3-5 years however, I began to realize that holding a grudge because the name on the side of the aircraft is "United" is kinda silly. I began looking at it with a fairer sense of mind, and I realized that no, it's not that bad. Yes, it's worse, but it's not the he!! hole of an airline some people make it out to be.

If you asked my parents how they feel about UA, they'd say the same exact thing as I do, UA treats all three of us well. And, in response to the payment, I'm sure many people on this forum fly on their company's dime, is that any different? @:-)
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
Your changing tone (to far more negative on the new UAL) is interesting to me. Mirrors that of other posters who are not employees and actually are pmCO. .
I flew CO several times SFO/IAH. I dreaded it every time. I was *A Gold but got treated like (a word I probably can't use on this forum). While UA isn't perfect, my experience with them is far (far, far, far, far) better than CO.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I love the MP changes and I am allergic to "whole" cashews, limes, real seats, pillows, blankets, etc.

I love 50 seat RJ's and rude service.

That is why I stick with UA.

I also love the bickering in the FC galley with FA's complaining about the CEO and how UA or CO were better. It is a soap opera, better then General Hospital. It makes time fly, since there is no TV to watch and no wi-fi.

I also, don't mind delays. It gets me out of meetings and I can blame UA. If a flt is downsized I love it, as I can sit in steerage, sleep next to someone chewing tobacco and dream about my next flt on DL or AA.

I "LUV" the "new UA". I also love paying for booze in Y International, UA saves me from the temptation. My "friends" at BILL W, love it.

I am in pure "bliss" with the new UA. This CEO knows how to run a GREAT airline. Being from LAS - I'm all in.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kettle1
I love the MP changes and I am allergic to "whole" cashews, limes, real seats, pillows, blankets, etc.

I love 50 seat RJ's and rude service.

That is why I stick with UA.

I also love the bickering in the FC galley with FA's complaining about the CEO and how UA or CO were better. It is a soap opera, better then General Hospital. It makes time fly, since there is no TV to watch and no wi-fi.

I also, don't mind delays. It gets me out of meetings and I can blame UA. If a flt is downsized I love it, as I can sit in steerage, sleep next to someone chewing tobacco and dream about my next flt on DL or AA.

I "LUV" the "new UA". I also love paying for booze in Y International, UA saves me from the temptation. My "friends" at BILL W, love it.

I am in pure "bliss" with the new UA. This CEO knows how to run a GREAT airline. Being from LAS - I'm all in.
I also really like how I receive 50% of the bonus miles Golds used to receive as a Million Miler.

1K upgrades don't clear. No worries! I only fly 1,000 mile legs so it doesn't matter!

This new UA is just great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.