Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
Refunding award reservations booked before 2/3 is bombing out for me.
Two reservations were cancelled, but getting the refund of miles and taxes required a call to web support.
I had the exact same issue, to a point that an error screen came up with no acknowledgement of a refunding of miles or even cancelation. However, signing in and out and, voila, the miles were back.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: Mileage Hoarding Anonymous
Just booked AUS-ORD-FRA (UA F), FRA-BKK (TG F, A388), BKK-CDG (TG F, A388), stopover in Paris, CDG-FRA-EWR-AUS (UA F) in early December around 2AM CST. Fees were pretty high @ $200 and I don't really need to stopover in Paris, so I'm trying to rework a route into Thailand through Tokyo. Seems to be 0 A388 availability for BKK-NRT in the month of December. Does anyone know if that type of thing opens up later in the year (and I should just snag J while I can), or am I SOL?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jcazes
Just booked AUS-ORD-FRA (UA F), FRA-BKK (TG F, A388), BKK-CDG (TG F, A388), stopover in Paris, CDG-FRA-EWR-AUS (UA F) in early December around 2AM CST. Fees were pretty high @ $200 and I don't really need to stopover in Paris, so I'm trying to rework a route into Thailand through Tokyo. Seems to be 0 A388 availability for BKK-NRT in the month of December. Does anyone know if that type of thing opens up later in the year (and I should just snag J while I can), or am I SOL?
No TG F availability for BKK<>NRT more than 2 weeks out. Been that way for quite a while. Almost always opens up in close.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: Mileage Hoarding Anonymous
Originally Posted by 5khours
No TG F availability for BKK<>NRT more than 2 weeks out. Been that way for quite a while. Almost always opens up in close.
Thanks for confirming -- I was just reading about this in the NRT-BKK thread.

If I book that A388 leg in J right now, but have the award ticketed in O (since NRT-AUS will be in F) can I upgrade the route when availability opens up 2 weeks out, or will it reprice the whole fare?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by riteshshah
Yes, well I'm one of the few people waiting for new mileage award charts to kick in as rates going down for travel from Aus/NZ to many parts of SE Asia/S Asia/Middle East, and quite substantially. Any updates on why the hold up or if they are going to delay again?
You will have to fly out of Cairns.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:21 am

Changed my award yesterday, so I'm now doing:

LAX-TPE-SIN-NRT // PVG-IST-DUB(stop)-EWR-LAX

It would have been cool to change the SIN-NRT segment to SIN-BKK-NRT so I could experience the A380, but it will probably be my first time in the 787 anyway so its a consolation. I didn't think it was worth fighting the internal 8 segment (including open jaw) rule.

The new airlines I get to try include Eva, ANA, Turkish, and Aer Lingus. I don't think I'm getting a Hello Kitty plane though, too bad!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by jcazes
Thanks for confirming -- I was just reading about this in the NRT-BKK thread.

If I book that A388 leg in J right now, but have the award ticketed in O (since NRT-AUS will be in F) can I upgrade the route when availability opens up 2 weeks out, or will it reprice the whole fare?
Not sure, I am in the same boat...guess we will find out.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
So, while .sux is still showing the old rates, the agent I justspoke with said they've already got the new extortionate rates in the system. But what I need to do can't be done online so I am not touching my reservation.

Worst case scenario if something good opens up in the next few weeks I'll book with US and refund the miles to my UA account. With SEAsia/Aus,NZ coming down in cost I wouldn't mind 120K miles getting put back....

.... but I'm happy right now with only 750 total in my account.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:39 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I made some changes earlier but right now if I try to search for award availability it just doesn't go anywhere but the flight search page... hopefully this is just a transition point but part of me hopes that United IT is broken (as usual) and they'll have to roll back some more the new levels....

FDW

EDIT: All flight searches doesn't seem to be working....
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I made some changes earlier but right now if I try to search for award availability it just doesn't go anywhere but the flight search page... hopefully this is just a transition point but part of me hopes that United IT is broken (as usual) and they'll have to roll back some more the new levels....

FDW

EDIT: All flight searches doesn't seem to be working....
Try logging out and back in. This is a common failure mode you'll see when you've spent too much time logged in to united.com searching flights.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
UA is so dysfunctional they cannot even complete this task of charging us more miles for award tickets. They have been dreaming of this moment and still cannot execute it!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:44 am

I need to book MEL to PVG, it should be down from 50K to 40K one wa businessy, but it seems still old chart
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by lisa2926
I need to book MEL to PVG, it should be down from 50K to 40K one wa businessy, but it seems still old chart
Old chart is still active. With the weather issues, I hate to suggest calling but it is either call or keep trying online. My guess is that the new chart will load tonight but that is just a guess.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Same thing here. All my searches end with old prices
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Same thing here. All my searches end with old prices
Crazy. 10:00am est and still old prices showing. Maybe they changed their mind? UA is like the gang that couldn't shoot straight. I just dated myself with that line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.