Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you all for making United's balance sheet look better and proving Smisek is doing a good job
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffI
After booking 12 trips in 1 day (with Chrome) I would find that the booking would not load after selecting the pax details from the saved info.
So I used IE and then just cleared the history for 4 weeks and then Chrome worked OK
Got the same problem. I will try that. It worked, thanks.

Last minute LH TATL: C-seats available DTW-FRA on numerous dates out to October. Seems to be one of the last routes standing. Thanks to SFO777 pointing to this route in the LH F-award thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-2014-a-7.html

Good luck all!

Last edited by cesco.g; Jan 31, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by username
Thank you all for making United's balance sheet look better and proving Smisek is doing a good job
Ugh, the thought was not lost on me as I blew 360k on trips.

I think this is the very definition of them having us over a barrel. I cashed down to 34k. I know when I'm beaten. I should probably get a domestic somewhere for a weekend but I just can't bring myself to blow miles on domestic tickets.

Brightside is that this is forcing me to take a month + off this year to travel for me... i don't think i would have torn myself away for 2 awesome trips otherwise *shrug*
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I think I just did the most amazing purchase in my life. BOS-MUC-CDG, CDG-BKK-SIN (on TG's A380!), then SIN-TPE-JFK. All Business Class for 120K + $190 in taxes.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:37 pm

Booked the following...

LAX-TPE-ICN-NRT // PVG-IST-DUB (stopover) DUB-JFK-LAX
Everything in partner J except for the last leg, which is in UA businessfirst.

I have 11 miles left in my account hah. I had a more ambitious itinerary before but turns out I was breaking all sorts of rules.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Shockingly LH F space has dried up across the board last two days.... burn baby burn
Even J has dried up. Try flying EWR/JFK/IAD to Europe at any time near the end of June. There was space a few weeks ago. Today? Zer
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by TakeTheATrain
I think I just did the most amazing purchase in my life. BOS-MUC-CDG, CDG-BKK-SIN (on TG's A380!), then SIN-TPE-JFK. All Business Class for 120K + $190 in taxes.
I'm doing JFK-FRA-ADD-NBO,DAR-JNB-CPT,CPT-JNB-FRA-JFK ... also for 120k each+taxes in J.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:47 pm
RNE

Minutes ago, I booked two 20k awards to YUL over Memorial Day Weekend, not because the rates are a going up, but because I was caught up in the frenzy.

RNE, a lemming.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA
I second TG availability

booked AUS-CDG(s/o)-BKK-CDG-AUS, long segments are all in First in UA and TG. My MP is officially torched now
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
LAS-SEA, SEA-NRT, NRT-BKK, NH TG J and BKK-FRA, FRA-ORD, ORD-LAS TG, LH F for me. A last hurrah. I echo another persons comment. Thanks United for reminding me to take a decent vacation occasionally.

Dropping credit card, all UA flights and moving to AS. Will split flights up among AS, AA, DL, CX and BA for overseas flights.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:57 pm

how much longer until the deval? let the countdown begin!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Well...was able to burn off another 240K tonight on CPT trips - saver C.

Going to end with about 400K but out of dates, and out of time off for the next year...quite the last hurrah - and nothing booked on UA metal.

Goodbye...sort of sad to see the balance under 500K for the first time in a a long, long while (probably the '90's)...but then I remember why I am doing this and I wish it showed a balance of '0'.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
how much longer until the deval? let the countdown begin!
Just under tw hours...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Down to 50K in my account- booked a trip to AKL/NRT, FRA, and last week's trip for SIN DO. Going to leave the rest in case of an emergency..

Working to get my parents accounts drained before the end of the night. Already booked one trip to LHR, as well as two tix to CDG..
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Settled on SMF-IAD-BOS (UA F)-ZRH(LX J/stopover)-ATH(LX J/dest)-IST-YYZ(TK J)-DEN(UA F) not my best redemption but will be a decent trip if we end up flying it. Gave up SN J for TK J, that was hard to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.