Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by acf1270
She assured me that any mileage awards booked before Feb 1st will not be repriced to the higher mileage levels when changes are made, as long as the award region doesnt change.

She documented this in all of my tickets I feel confident that United will have to honor what I was told.
I have spoken to several CSA's and gotten widely different answers. The lastest yesterday was that any change in a ticket, even, dates, would trigger the new rates. She was already a bit defensive by stating "we don't make the rules"

Bottom line I think the internal communications to the CSA (and Mgrs) have been poor to non-existent. One CSA last week stated they had not seen the new award levels even though the its been on the web site for a few months.

As for being "confident that United will have to honor what I was told" I hope that helps your case and I really hope you are right. But don't shoot the messenger if the CSA quotes you a different policy starting tomorrow
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Kind of late to the game

But I should probably go ahead and book today for December then change the dates later for a $75 fee? Most of the flights I see to my destination are on BR CA or NH. I'd like to return in early January 2015.

Thanks for advice.

P.s. mnl-USA one way, already booked the outbound.

Last edited by fanger; Jan 31, 2014 at 6:20 am
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fanger
But I should probably go ahead and book today for December then change the dates later for a $75 fee? Most of the flights I see to my destination are on BR CA or NH. I'd like to return in early January 2015.

Thanks for advice.

P.s. mnl-USA one way, already booked the outbound.

As I understand it, you should definitely book today (and screen save or print out the reservation you make, as well as make sure it is ticketed by calling the partner airline). According to the wiki post at the top of this thread, which quotes the UA Insider (the UA rep who occasionally posts here at FT), you're ok to make date changes later as long as the routing stays the same. BUT be aware that award reservations with UA that involve other airlines can be glitch-prone, whether through IT problems or poor CSR training. Bottom line: you're probably ok to make date changes later, but the process might not be hassle-free.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
Crashing UA site?

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
As I understand it, you should definitely book today ....
Apparently everyone is taking your advice. Anyone else having no luck getting in to Awards booking on the United site?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Well into Feb 1 here and no changes.

Booked some SYD-FRA awards in Thai First on A380s for 180,000 each RT that go up to 230,000 apiece.

The TG F lounge in BKK is superb with girls in golf carts waiting at your gate and take you back there at last possible moment.

50,000 a booking saved is well worth doing, and Dom Perignon, Lobster, Caviar and Ostrich Steaks etc, makes the gum chewing grannies in dated United Suites look an even less desirable deal to Europe!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
I have spoken to several CSA's and gotten widely different answers. The lastest yesterday was that any change in a ticket, even, dates, would trigger the new rates.
That's just what I heard. The last rep I spoke with was very explicit in telling me that any change (date, time, etc.) I requested wuld trigger a reprice to the then-current rates.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
I have spoken to several CSA's and gotten widely different answers. The lastest yesterday was that any change in a ticket, even, dates, would trigger the new rates.
UAInsider stated that changes of dates would not trigger repricing (though any other changes would).
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy

That's just what I heard. The last rep I spoke with was sure to tell me that any change (date, time, etc.) I requested wuld trigger a reprice to the then-current rates.
With ConUall nothing is ever clear - sadly.

I phoned today and added a side-trip via Istanbul to my Athens flight - all done and confirmed.

Asked agent whilst on phone, if from Feb 1, I could change the DATE and she said "yes date can change with no penalty."

Agree that until we try no-one will have a clue. Typical United lack of clarity.

I was surprised today to be able to move First Class dates FRA-BKK-SYD a few days forward on website, with no penalty and no issues, and all done in seconds.

No idea if that will be possible tomorrow.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:07 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
So if I booked a ticket on a account that currently is Plat, that the status expires today (back to member), and I was to refund it sometime later, would I have to pay a cancel fee?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by jason8612
So if I booked a ticket on a account that currently is Plat, that the status expires today (back to member), and I was to refund it sometime later, would I have to pay a cancel fee?
I believe that the status on the day the transaction takes place is the valid one. So, if you go back to member tomorrow you will be treated as a member for changes. I hope I am wrong but don't think I am.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Thanks. Low fee changes on partners are confined to same origin and destination (date changes). Can you change routing or partner airline, or does that require redeposit?

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
As I understand it, you should definitely book today (and screen save or print out the reservation you make, as well as make sure it is ticketed by calling the partner airline). According to the wiki post at the top of this thread, which quotes the UA Insider (the UA rep who occasionally posts here at FT), you're ok to make date changes later as long as the routing stays the same. BUT be aware that award reservations with UA that involve other airlines can be glitch-prone, whether through IT problems or poor CSR training. Bottom line: you're probably ok to make date changes later, but the process might not be hassle-free.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I have spoken to several CSA's and gotten widely different answers. The lastest yesterday was that any change in a ticket, even, dates, would trigger the new rates. She was already a bit defensive by stating "we don't make the rules"
Got the same story yesterday. Pushed for more information. She talked to her "lead," read up on it, and confirmed that date changes will not trigger re-pricing. She also said that different routing (so long as origin and destination remain the same) will not change pricing, but I am less certain about that.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:35 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by cruisr
I believe that the status on the day the transaction takes place is the valid one. So, if you go back to member tomorrow you will be treated as a member for changes. I hope I am wrong but don't think I am.
Damn. That's what I read also.
Oh well, I booked a few F tickets this week, so I'm good
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lexdevil

She also said that different routing (so long as origin and destination remain the same) will not change pricing, but I am less certain about that.
Me too -- that sounds too generous by far!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Well into Feb 1 here and no changes.

Booked some SYD-FRA awards in Thai First on A380s for 180,000 each RT that go up to 230,000 apiece.

The TG F lounge in BKK is superb with girls in golf carts waiting at your gate and take you back there at last possible moment.

50,000 a booking saved is well worth doing, and Dom Perignon, Lobster, Caviar and Ostrich Steaks etc, makes the gum chewing grannies in dated United Suites look an even less desirable deal to Europe!
Feb.1 is still Jan. 31 in the USA. UA operates on US time, I'm not sure which time zone.

Congratulations on being able to book TG F SYD-FRA at 180K RT.

I just booked 2 one-ways, IAD-SYD in Business. TPAC was straight forward at 67.5K each. But return SYD-PEK-FRA-IAD cost me 110K each in Business, a lot more than your F SYD-FRA. No TG C or F seats available in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.