Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
what about polish airways (LOT). i see J award availability on EF but it says premium economy class. anyone know what the business class award class is for LOT?
Use ANA tool. LO doesn't show at all on .com But I was able to snag a few C WAW-ORD and intra Europe flights.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by acf1270
I have the same problem also, not able to select seats on the LH website like before. But I was able to select seats for all legs on the TG website without any issues, you should try that.
Thanks for your response! I never flew TG before so I just created a new Royal Orchid Plus membership. How do you select seats on TG? I googled 'how to select seats on Thai Airways' and got the link and when I clicked on it, it gave me error. I tried another link and there's nowhere to select seats.

Edit: I think I got it! Just found it! Thanks!

Originally Posted by villox
Posted about on the LH forum. Workaround is to use the LOT site.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...nsa-com-2.html
Thanks for the link! I'll take a look at it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 31, 2014 at 1:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Less than 10 hour to go, and I have 23 miles in my account now...580,000 redeemed in the last two months for:

ANA First IAD-NRT (first time)
Asiana First NRT-ICN-FRA (first time)
NZ business AKL-NRT (first time)
CM/AV business roundtrip DCA-UIO/LPB
LH first MIA-FRA-SSG
AC business DCA-YYZ-FRA

...and lots of other smaller stuff. Maximizing partner awards while I can!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Less than 10 hour to go, and I have 23 miles in my account now...580,000 redeemed in the last two months for:

ANA First IAD-NRT (first time)
Asiana First NRT-ICN-FRA (first time)
NZ business AKL-NRT (first time)
CM/AV business roundtrip DCA-UIO/LPB
LH first MIA-FRA-SSG
AC business DCA-YYZ-FRA

...and lots of other smaller stuff. Maximizing partner awards while I can!
The award requirement between the US and S South American only increases 5K on C.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Award change question

I want to take advantage of cheaper award prices before tomorrow, but was wondering what is the farthest in the future that one could change the ticket. Say I want to travel in February 2015 (no award space since we are not within 330 days), would I be able to book a ticket for December this year and just change the date when award space becomes available for February 2015?

I guess my main question is when does the 1-year validity of the ticket begin, from the ticketing date or the first departure date?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by TakeTheATrain
I want to take advantage of cheaper award prices before tomorrow, but was wondering what is the farthest in the future that one could change the ticket. Say I want to travel in February 2015 (no award space since we are not within 330 days), would I be able to book a ticket for December this year and just change the date when award space becomes available for February 2015?

I guess my main question is when does the 1-year validity of the ticket begin, from the ticketing date or the first departure date?

Ticketing date. All travel must be complete by jan 31 2015
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold

1-year from ticketing. So the last travel day (return) would be 31st Jan 2015.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

Generally speaking you would be out of luck. If you don't take the first segment, your ticket validity date becomes the date of ticket issue. Once that hits a year, your ticket is no longer valid. If you take the outbound in December then if all the stars alined and you found availability on a routing which does not require them to reticket--but simply change the date, you should be able to do that.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA Gold, SPG, Marriott Gold
Just booked 2 standard award to Guam. I had no idea the price was going up tomorrow. Saw it in a Forbes article by chance last night. Guess I'm off my game.

Brother in law is getting married out there next Xmas. I hate to liquidate my United account just to get the family out there. I was waiting until I had enough for 2 roundtrip, but I guess United forced my hand. 195k gone. And I still have to book 1 more return when I get enough miles, which will be 70k. And there is little hope for a SAAVER as its during the Xmas rush.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:46 pm

Just issued 2 J tickets US to Asia. For UA metal domestic segments (rdu-iad, ord-rdu), F is currently not available so ticketed in Y. Can I request waitlist for upgrade to F (not the elite complimentary upgrade)? Haven't done this since the merger. And if so, upgrade will be done automatically so there's no reprice in this case, right? Also, do I need to split the itn for better chance of upgrade? Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OnePassLover
Just issued 2 J tickets US to Asia. For UA metal domestic segments (rdu-iad, ord-rdu), F is currently not available so ticketed in Y. Can I request waitlist for upgrade to F (not the elite complimentary upgrade)? Haven't done this since the merger. And if so, upgrade will be done automatically so there's no reprice in this case, right? Also, do I need to split the itn for better chance of upgrade? Thanks for the help!
Yes you can call in and request that the waitlist you for Saver Business/First on the domestic legs. This should clear automatically when award space opens up and shouldn't cause a reprice (but who knows). Also you're a displaced F passenger (as you've paid F mileage) not an upgrader if you wind up having to deal with agents around the CPU window, so you're above everyone on the list as I understand it.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!!!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow last minute shopping

Joining last minute FT madness...... just booked the following tickets for family vacations:

BOS-ORD-FRA-BKK-HKT (UA F and TG A380 F)
PVG-NRT-ORD-BOS NH C
HKT-ICN-PVG OZ C
BOS-YYZ-PVG AC C
PVG-TPE-DPS-BKK-HKG BR/TG C
PVG-ORD-BOS UA F

Burned almost 1 million miles. Very hard to find 3 seats

Unable to find OZ F and NH F for Dec.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm done.

Completed booking ORD-BCN...LIS-ORD a few weeks ago, all in C, with a non-ideal routing. Managed to sneak in a change for the LIS-ORD segment yesterday, changing to an F SAVER award via FRA (my jaw dropped when I found it). Still can't find anything for ORD-BCN other than the current ORD/BOS/ZRH/BCN UA/UX/UX, but time has run out.

There does seem to have been considerable movement the past few days - I'm guessing as people are scrambling to book *anything* and then changing to something better if they find it.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Is the United award search working?
For the past 1/2 hr, every time I hit the search button, the website just refreshes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.