Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
is OS J cabin visible online? if so, is there ever availability VIE-IAD and at what booking window?

if not visible how's the best way to find it. i'm looking for November 2014 dates.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
is OS J cabin visible online? if so, is there ever availability VIE-IAD and at what booking window?

if not visible how's the best way to find it. i'm looking for November 2014 dates.
OS J isn't typically available until 3 months out from what I've been able to find in the past.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Condition One
OS J isn't typically available until 3 months out from what I've been able to find in the past.
yeah i was poking around in February and saw that, thanks. bummer. i have SN J but into JFK which is a 10am departure from BRU. IAD was zeroed out. i want something that leaves later, or leaves from a city further east (planning to be in ATH).
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Got the same story yesterday. Pushed for more information. She talked to her "lead," read up on it, and confirmed that date changes will not trigger re-pricing. She also said that different routing (so long as origin and destination remain the same) will not change pricing, but I am less certain about that.
Hmm I wonder what that means for co-terminals. Would re-routes that involve a change from IAD --> DCA trigger a re-pricing? Right now I have a CPH - MUC - YYZ - DCA this summer (for LH F from when that happened earlier this year). Obviously if I were allowed to move it to CPH - FRA - IAD (on the 748 in F) that would be better but my guess is moving from DCA ---> IAD would trigger a change even if re-routes are allowed (my guess is they'll take any excuse to re-price).

I guess I should be content that I even was able to get LH F for a date 6 months from now (9 at the time of booking)
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what about polish airways (LOT). i see J award availability on EF but it says premium economy class. anyone know what the business class award class is for LOT?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:38 am

I booked RT tickets for 2 yesterday, DFW-FRA (LH-C), FRA-BKK (TG-F), BKK-SIN (TG-C), SIN-BKK (TG-C), BKK-FRA (TG-F), FRA-DFW (LH-C) for 140,000 miles/each. I got the confirmation numbers for LH & Thai. When I log in to LH, I couldn't select seats. I used to be able to do it before. Any ideas why I can't select seats now?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
yeah i was poking around in February and saw that, thanks. bummer. i have SN J but into JFK which is a 10am departure from BRU. IAD was zeroed out. i want something that leaves later, or leaves from a city further east (planning to be in ATH).
Check out TK. There's a ton of IST - IAD J availability in November and it's an a333
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Originally Posted by frugaltravel
I booked RT tickets for 2 yesterday, DFW-FRA (LH-C), FRA-BKK (TG-F), BKK-SIN (TG-C), SIN-BKK (TG-C), BKK-FRA (TG-F), FRA-DFW (LH-C) for 140,000 miles/each. I got the confirmation numbers for LH & Thai. When I log in to LH, I couldn't select seats. I used to be able to do it before. Any ideas why I can't select seats now?
I have the same problem also, not able to select seats on the LH website like before. But I was able to select seats for all legs on the TG website without any issues, you should try that.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by frugaltravel
Posted about on the LH forum. Workaround is to use the LOT site.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...nsa-com-2.html
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Well into Feb 1 here and no changes.
Good point you bring up. What time zone do we use to determine when 2/1 is? Hawaii time? Alaska time? Chicago time?

I was checking on my awards and one leg downgraded to J. Of course if i find another F routing after today i have to buy miles to afford to make a change? (Im almost out)

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 31, 2014 at 11:52 am
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:46 am

Have anyone notice that United already change some awards before Feb 1st? Before Europe to US Mainland was 27500. Check last 2 days it is already changed to 30000. Guess United is being sneaky.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Check out TK. There's a ton of IST - IAD J availability in November and it's an a333
nothing available around my needed date, IST-IAH was my first choice (trying to start as far east in Europe and end up as far west in USA as possible -- or get to east coast late just in time for the last flights to California).

BRU-JFK on SN is fine except that it departs so early i have to go from ATH-BRU the evening before.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by rsydney
Have anyone notice that United already change some awards before Feb 1st? Before Europe to US Mainland was 27500. Check last 2 days it is already changed to 30000. Guess United is being sneaky.
Yup, noticed that too.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
what about polish airways (LOT). i see J award availability on EF but it says premium economy class. anyone know what the business class award class is for LOT?
My wife flew JFK-WAW on their 787 in C and didn't like it. Apparently the seats weren't great, the food was mediocre and the service terrible. Also you can't redeem UA miles for Premium Economy.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
nothing available around my needed date, IST-IAH was my first choice (trying to start as far east in Europe and end up as far west in USA as possible -- or get to east coast late just in time for the last flights to California).

BRU-JFK on SN is fine except that it departs so early i have to go from ATH-BRU the evening before.
There are worse places to spend the night and do some quick sightseeing, although the airport is a bit of a haul from the city centre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.