Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've burned a good portion of mine on trips already planned but holding on to about 90k. I figure I can still get a one-way to Asia / Australia / New Zealand for 80k.

I am making sure I have screen shots of all my existing reservations in case there are issues with the system post-2/1 and they try to pull any shenanigans in honoring existing bookings (including my upcoming trip to Australia which was booked last April way before devaluation was even on the table)
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody had any chance recently with C-class tickets on LH West Coast to Germany - try to put a couple of placeholders.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hey guys, pay attention, your last day to book under the current rates is January 31, 2014. I would assume it's going to click over at midnight Central time, but would not recommend anyone cut it that close.
The ticket issue date on the receipts seem to be based on the time zone of the first flight.

Last edited by c1mth0g; Jan 30, 2014 at 8:36 pm
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by st530
No, but I burned 440K today booking two CA IAH-PEK-IAH in F for July (140K each) and one TG FRA-CDG-BKK-FRA in F for March (160K). TG is in the A380 CDG-BKK-FRA. I figured I wouldn't ever book TG F in the A380 after Jan 31, so I just searched around and jumped on what I could get at saver. Booked a separate revenue ticket IAH-FRA-IAH on UA in W and used GPUs. 18 hours on the ground in BKK. Might just spend it all in the F lounge.
I took my Florida-IAH-PEK (Air China First) -down to BKK (TG747- First), then after a few days down to SYD (TG 747-First) coming back through BKK (TG in Business)& ICN back to JFK (772-First suite), then back to Florida. 160 miles x 2=320K for the two of us. Sad to miss out on the TG A380. I would have booked BKK-NRT on the A380 but F or C was not available on my dated.

I still have over a million miles on AA & Delta, about 140K on United, but all airlines are racing to the bottom.

I wanted a few nice trips when I retire in two years, so much for saving miles for travel during retirement.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
On 1/14/2014, I ticketed a round trip F award to SE Asia. Today, I found a better routing with better timing home (BKK-FRA-IAD instead of BKK-CDG-FRA-IAD) and called UA to make the change. I can see the new flights when I log in to united.com but my ticket is in queue waiting to be reissued.

Since my change is a routing change, what would happen if UA doesn't get around to reissuing my ticket until after 1/31/2014? Will UA want more miles?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Foady
Since my change is a routing change, what would happen if UA doesn't get around to reissuing my ticket until after 1/31/2014? Will UA want more miles?
No - but I'd call them if it doesn't ticket by mrning...
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
No - but I'd call them if it doesn't ticket by mrning...
Great advice! Will do!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Foady
On 1/14/2014, I ticketed a round trip F award to SE Asia. Today, I found a better routing with better timing home (BKK-FRA-IAD instead of BKK-CDG-FRA-IAD) and called UA to make the change. I can see the new flights when I log in to united.com but my ticket is in queue waiting to be reissued.

Take screen shots of the booking.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
Take screen shots of the booking.
Done!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:37 pm

Doomsday Has Arrived!

The clock is ticking down.

It is the final day of Star Alliance partner realistic award life. Book today or never for a partner premium award you may have saved years trying to get!

At least US Air is giving us until like March 30, to book Star Alliance awards, although the options are more limited.

United could have at least delayed the changes until after US Air left the alliance?

Today the news said that Eastern Air Lines is coming back to Miami. Smizek-like Lorenzo killed Eastern, and it is coming back. Maybe realistic partner awards will some day come back.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:09 am

Changing award flights in the past

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to simply not checkin for an award reservation and then change the flights after the original flight date/time has passed?

Will that trigger a reissue (assuming no routing changes)?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Does anyone know if it is possible for me to simply not checkin for an award reservation and then change the flights after the original flight date/time has passed?

Will that trigger a reissue (assuming no routing changes)?
Given all of my awards from UA are issued with the notation "All changes must be made prior to the departure date, or the ticket has no value" why would you risk this?

Why not just change the ticket ahead of departure?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by dkc715
Burned 600,000 miles since the deval was announced on Nov 1, saving about 250,000 miles for trips that were going to happen anyway. Wish I could find more flights before the clock strikes midnight tomorrow. At least mgmt gave us time to wipe clean our accounts.

Spoke to an agent today who said she is awaiting training for the new structure going into effect Feb 1st. Not sure why training is involved. It is what it is.

Anyone burn a million in 3 months on tickets?
More like 2.5.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Given all of my awards from UA are issued with the notation "All changes must be made prior to the departure date, or the ticket has no value" why would you risk this?

Why not just change the ticket ahead of departure?
Maybe I can't find availability before the flight date/time ...

I've had no problems cancelling awards tickets after the flight date/time (and I think others have reported the same) so I am wondering if this works for changes ...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Yesterday i had 210,357 miles, now i have 357 and a series of intra-Asia travel lined up for the remainder of the year, all in I. Guess that's the best i could do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.