Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by JSlo
Should have added, one other thought- from an accounting model standpoint by getting the masses (I have no idea the percentage) to redeem miles en masse, they can actually buy off another GAAP smoke and mirror item in the next quarters report...It would be interesting to see how they account for the reduction in miles as a liability. I may be looking at this wrong, please enlighten me if so- but even if there is only an increase in 5% of the miles- it's a HUGE number of miles coming off the books ahead of this award increase. I myself burned 600K+ miles I'm sure. Buys them time to build whatever they are building(?).

I have no position in the stock, neither long nor short. But after posting these two posts I googled a 5 year chart of the share price UAL...someone is laughing all the way to the bank on this one lol.
You make a good point. And it'll be interesting when all the Plats and 1Ks who booked "speculative" premium awards redeposit all their unused miles from cancelled trips (at no cost) within the same year.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
I have feeling it's going to be more than a weekend that's ruined. Hate to think when all those people who aren't FTers or don't read email from UA (because they can't tell UA spam but UA actual notices) discover that they can't go on planned honeymoons, anniversaries, etc. because all the miles they've been saving for important trips are now worthless.

If I'd been UA, I would have done a better job broadcasting it, e.g. updating the insidious recording you hear when you're on hold that tells you about "let us take you to Bangkok" and the roll-out of the "recently" announced TSA pre-check program.
You are very right about this - the average person has ZERO idea of what is coming up.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
You are very right about this - the average person has ZERO idea of what is coming up.
The average person books economy tickets, and they'll be unaffected by this.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by villox
The average person books economy tickets, and they'll be unaffected by this.
Agree. Or looks for business class on UA metal. Your average MP member has no idea of the opportunities for *A premium cabin redemptions.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by xxmwxx
I was told the same thing. Have JFK-FRA-BKK-HKG booked for March mostly in F. JFK-FRA leg is in LH C and the agent booking it for me said the same thing, if F opens up on it I would be able to change the award without a reprice. I'm still not convinced but I guess we'll see soon enough..
Has this been the experience for others in the past, i.e., do you really get moved up to First on a mixed C/F itinerary where F opens up the C-portion prior to departure?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:50 pm

RTFM, perhaps?

Originally Posted by FlyLXA333
Any changes on europe to the middle east? Intra Europe? Europe-Maldives?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr
I think res is as confused as everyone else.

I am currently holding a RT from EWR-AUH with FRA-AUH on LH. I paid the 150k RT. For F but F is only available TATL. I am in Business for FRA-AUH.

I was just told by a res agent that if the Space in F opens up I will be put in F without a reprice in miles. Anybody else told something like this. of course, since it's on LH I will have to search myself and call up res to alert them.

I wish there was something in writing on this.

Cheers
There is. I just don't think you like what they have written.

Yes, and that's not much guidance as this situation, where before deval the higher price was paid, and not available and then becomes available, will we be charged more?

It doesn't seem fair if they do try to reprice but then again we are not talking fair.
What part about ANY voluntary change other than a date change results in repricing does not give you sufficient guidance? "Any" means ANY.

Originally Posted by xxmwxx
I was told the same thing. Have JFK-FRA-BKK-HKG booked for March mostly in F. JFK-FRA leg is in LH C and the agent booking it for me said the same thing, if F opens up on it I would be able to change the award without a reprice. I'm still not convinced but I guess we'll see soon enough..
I hop that is the case, but I am not counting on it.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You should ask the agents to dcument their statements about not requiring more miles in the PNRs.
First, they won't do it because it could come back on them,

Second, even if they did, UA is not bound by it.

Thanks Xyzzy. If push comes to shove do you think that would help or they would just say, sorry, he/she was wrong.
The latter.

Originally Posted by exmike
I was told the same thing back in December. If space opens in a higher cabin up on a leg you are already booked in if the itinerary is in the higher cabin, they should be able to move you without an increase. Which makes obvious sense but we'll see
It doesn't make sense at all. A date change only requires a ticket revalidation. Any other change requires a ticket reissuance, and repricing.

I don't like it, but it makes sense if you consider how the system is set up.

Originally Posted by NYC1981
Has this been the experience for others in the past, i.e., do you really get moved up to First on a mixed C/F itinerary where F opens up the C-portion prior to departure?
In the past, yes. But that was the past. These are new rules and a new United.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:42 pm

Dear UA agent, connecting through Bangkok is allowed when going from Australia to the US. No need to charge an extra 40k miles for that...
Me: "I can book the exact same routing in October, spending 80k for a first class award from Australia to the US. Why should I have to pay 120k for the same trip in January?"
UA agent: "The rules have changed in February. It costs 120k because you're connecting in Asia. If you want to pay only 80k, perhaps you should travel in October"
Me: <click>
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Well the 48 hour delay worked great for me - LH F opened for a February return leg this afternoon! One last taste of the FCT in FRA (at least on united miles)

Should be a good trip - CX F, TG F, and LH F with stops in Hong Kong and Koh Samui! Can't wait!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by lewende
The award requirement between the US and S South American only increases 5K on C.
I'm aware, but 5,000 is half of a one way for me to YOW, so might as well save where I can....
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
I was told the same thing back in December. If space opens in a higher cabin up on a leg you are already booked in if the itinerary is in the higher cabin, they should be able to move you without an increase. Which makes obvious sense but we'll see
For what it's worth add me to this group. I have JFK-FRA-BLR with the first leg in J and the second leg in Y. Was told by two different agents that if J opens up I could change cabins without a reprice.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by freeloader
Well the 48 hour delay worked great for me - LH F opened for a February return leg this afternoon! One last taste of the FCT in FRA (at least on united miles)

Should be a good trip - CX F, TG F, and LH F with stops in Hong Kong and Koh Samui! Can't wait!
I am hoping my return flight on LH (2/16) opens up after Koh Samui. I will arrive on the 9th and check out on the 14th and stay at CKS with a rental car.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
UNCONFIRMED! - Heard from MP that Changover may not happen till 8 FEB

Was talking with MP just a few minutes ago while finding an award and mentioned the mileage changes as the rational for my upcoming award flights and he stated their latest guidance was changeover in 3 to 8 days. Maybe 3 FEB (the 3rd day) won't be the changeover date after all....well, we can hope!

No, I have no more information to provide, but it does at least lend support to the argument that UAL's IT system is not ready for the change yet.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by crimson12
For what it's worth add me to this group. I have JFK-FRA-BLR with the first leg in J and the second leg in Y. Was told by two different agents that if J opens up I could change cabins without a reprice.
Boy it would be nice if UA could make an official comment on this....but of course we know they won't. Being flat out lied to by a UA employee when booking an award ticket a few years ago actually got me a change fee waiver on those tickets though.....

Maybe we just need to look at DLs policy since UA is so fond of playing follow the leader (to the bottom)....
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wyoon
I am hoping my return flight on LH (2/16) opens up after Koh Samui. I will arrive on the 9th and check out on the 14th and stay at CKS with a rental car.
My LH flight is the same day, so keep your eyes open, there is some availability now (FRA-yyz is open... I nabbed FRA-Bos)

Ha, looks like we are at the resort the same day - PM me, we can meet for a drink!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.