Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Boy it would be nice if UA could make an official comment on this....but of course we know they won't.
"Any" voluntary change other than a date change will result in reticketing at the new rates isn't clear enough or official enough for you?

Seem to be a lot of people here who just don't like the official word on the matter.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
"Any" voluntary change other than a date change will result in reticketing at the new rates isn't clear enough or official enough for you?

Seem to be a lot of people here who just don't like the official word on the matter.
Actually, no, it's not good enough for me. UA Insider has been wrong in the past (no I can't pick out specific instances) and things change over time which they may have no insight to.

And let's look at the other side of the coin. If I call to make a date change in 3 months, same flight #, same CoS, and the agent tries to reprice to the new award levels - will I be able to point to a forum post and use that as proof? The answer is no.

I certainly appreciate UA Insiders information, but it is just information, all of which is subject to revision, revocation, interpretation, misunderstanding, etc.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:21 pm

Actually, no, it's not good enough for me. UA Insider has been wrong in the past (no I can't pick out specific instances) and things change over time which they may have no insight to.

And let's look at the other side of the coin. If I call to make a date change in 3 months, same flight #, same CoS, and the agent tries to reprice to the new award levels - will I be able to point to a forum post and use that as proof? The answer is no.

I certainly appreciate UA Insiders information, but it is just information, all of which is subject to revision, revocation, interpretation, misunderstanding, etc.
And an "official" writing that says, "We when said "any" changes, we meant it," would suddenly be good enough for you? Goodness knows officially written policies never change either.

I'll stick to my position that you just don't like the answer. Neither do I, but I am not going to keep crying about it.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
And an "official" writing that says, "We when said "any" changes, we meant it," would suddenly be good enough for you? Goodness knows officially written policies never change either.

I'll stick to my position that you just don't like the answer. Neither do I, but I am not going to keep crying about it.
You are correct, I don't like the answer (and frankly, I think that what you wrote will probably turn out to be right), but when multiple people are being fed the same conflicting answer over the phone, you gotta start wondering what is going on. They are just as much UA employees as UA Insider is.

The thing that would satisfy me is them actually putting the rules down on the website. It should be right there with all the monetary change fees. Would it make the chart more confusing, sure, just like it was after the MP/OP merger where there were special conditions based on booking date, what program it was booked under, etc.

Right now the only people that have any sort of information on when an award will reprice (regardless of whether it is correct) are those on FT. The general flying public is completely unaware and that is just plain wrong.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:58 pm

You are correct, I don't like the answer (and frankly, I think that what you wrote will probably turn out to be right), but when multiple people are being fed the same conflicting answer over the phone, you gotta start wondering what is going on. They are just as much UA employees as UA Insider is.

The thing that would satisfy me is them actually putting the rules down on the website. It should be right there with all the monetary change fees. Would it make the chart more confusing, sure, just like it was after the MP/OP merger where there were special conditions based on booking date, what program it was booked under, etc.

Right now the only people that have any sort of information on when an award will reprice (regardless of whether it is correct) are those on FT. The general flying public is completely unaware and that is just plain wrong.
I completely agree with everything you say.

With this United, you are never going to see the type of clarity you desire. Look at the CPU system. It is mired in obscurity and that is certainly deliberate. This won't be any different.

I already know the front-line employees are clueless. Even if they are "trained," it is just a memo, which most don't bother to read and half of those who do read it don't understand the nuances anyway.

United Insider is a spokes-hole. He simply regurgitates what he is told to say. Not his fault, but that's how it is.

UA has been less than upfront about a lot fo changes. I have a number of 1Ks in my office and none of them know anything about the change in mileage requirements until I told them.

United seems to like it that way.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:07 pm

I completely agree with everything you say.

With this United, you are never going to see the type of clarity you desire. Look at the CPU system. It is mired in obscurity and that is certainly deliberate. This won't be any different.
But wait, they're rewriting it from scratch, right

UA has been less than upfront about a lot fo changes. I have a number of 1Ks in my office and none of them know anything about the change in mileage requirements until I told them.

United seems to like it that way.
Hence why I told everyone I could. Helped someone in my office book 5 tickets to Europe this summer for the family to take a cruise (2x in J, 3x in Y, all the same flights) and my uncle book 2xJ to Europe in October. I had to keep nudging them along to ensure it got done before 2/1.

<rant>And don't get me started on "Thanks for all that work, I'll book it in a few days" - No you won't because it will be gone, book it now! </rant>
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by asalmane
thanks. that sounds incredible (even if availability is scarce is business), but when i try to add in a stopover in auckland or bkk the number of miles increases dramatically. how sad.
That's strange, is it just the website that does that? I've booked South Asia-Oceania before for 50k in business class roundtrip with a stopover in Sydney and it doesn't price any higher (South Asia to Australia would be 90k).
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:33 am

Hello I have an award I aready booked from AMS - DXB for 55K round trip for dates in June/July. If i shift the dates this wont result in a reprice of award? Another question. You are usually entitled to a stopover and If i change my return date to include a stop over would this trigger a reprice of new award level? I know it will in taxes. Look forward to the response.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: Freelancer
Originally Posted by rsydney
Hello I have an award I aready booked from AMS - DXB for 55K round trip for dates in June/July. If i shift the dates this wont result in a reprice of award? Another question. You are usually entitled to a stopover and If i change my return date to include a stop over would this trigger a reprice of new award level? I know it will in taxes. Look forward to the response.
Change in dates involving the same carrier and class of service shouldn't trigger a re-price. Anything else, like adding a stopover, sounds like it will. The de-value has been extended until 3FEB, so if you can add the stopover prior to then, I'd do it.

I booked a trip with a stopover a few days ago. The agent assured me as long as I keep the same class of service with the same airlines including the stopover, any change in dates would keep the original pricing.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:50 am

Just a quick question. I understand same date and same route..but what is meant by same carrier. So if my return flight is on Turkish Airlines it means I am only allow to fly on Turkish airlines and no other airlines on that route?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rsydney
Just a quick question. I understand same date and same route..but what is meant by same carrier. So if my return flight is on Turkish Airlines it means I am only allow to fly on Turkish airlines and no other airlines on that route?
If you fly a different carrier, then that would not lmeet the requirement of same carrier.
I don't understand the confusion
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Happy Hour
Change in dates involving the same carrier and class of service shouldn't trigger a re-price. Anything else, like adding a stopover, sounds like it will. The de-value has been extended until 3FEB, so if you can add the stopover prior to then, I'd do it.

I booked a trip with a stopover a few days ago. The agent assured me as long as I keep the same class of service with the same airlines including the stopover, any change in dates would keep the original pricing.
Not what UA Insider says, i.e. only a date change is allowed which implies that a change to a different flight even if it's same carrier, same route, same day, etc., will trigger a reprice.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:50 am

Got it in writing

I have in writing from two seperate customer service agents that you if you have a segment in a lower class of service on a premium class award ticket you can move up if the higher class of service becomes available without a reprice of the award.

I believe repricing will only happen if you make a change that would trigger a change fee for a regular mileageplus member.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Not what UA Insider says, i.e. only a date change is allowed which implies that a change to a different flight even if it's same carrier, same route, same day, etc., will trigger a reprice.
I find that unlikely. As long as the carriers and routing don't change, it is just a ticket revalidation and should be fine. Carriers change flight numbers all the time.

Originally Posted by IAHTRVLR
I have in writing from two seperate customer service agents that you if you have a segment in a lower class of service on a premium class award ticket you can move up if the higher class of service becomes available without a reprice of the award.

I believe repricing will only happen if you make a change that would trigger a change fee for a regular mileageplus member.
Let's hope!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I find that unlikely. As long as the carriers and routing don't change, it is just a ticket revalidation and should be fine. Carriers change flight numbers all the time.
Hope you're right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.