Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by IAHTRVLR
I believe repricing will only happen if you make a change that would trigger a change fee for a regular mileageplus member.
Wouldn't the change in cabin (even if you've already paid for the higher class of service in miles) require a reissue and not just a revalidation? It's been almost a year, but I seem to remember a reissue when switching from LH C to F (IAD-FRA) on an F award to Asia.

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Happy Hour
Change in dates involving the same carrier and class of service shouldn't trigger a re-price. Anything else, like adding a stopover, sounds like it will. The de-value has been extended until 3FEB, so if you can add the stopover prior to then, I'd do it.

I booked a trip with a stopover a few days ago. The agent assured me as long as I keep the same class of service with the same airlines including the stopover, any change in dates would keep the original pricing.
Except it does...at least on the website. I'm not sure if IT is working on something now, but noticed a change just now when updating an award ticket.

MEL-BKK-TPE-JFK booked for late Dec. knowing I needed a January date. Today the date I needed magically showed award space so I changed dates on the website. When making the changes ONLY the EXACT same flights listed as $0 and 0 miles. Other flights, even operated by same carrier, and same routing, just different times, showed +45,000 miles. I'm sure I could've circumvented this by calling in since new rates haven't technically gone into effect. But if it's indicative of what's to come, not looking good. Maybe it's just the website, or something deployed early on accident...but a data point.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:48 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Thumbs up Impressed

I do not like the increase of the numbers of miles required for an award travel but I really like the clear communication and support it was provided.
I really like the little two day delay in activating the changes.
And yes, I was able to get the all the award flights I desired, 4 RTs at saver level, at the exact dates I wished. Incredible for someone like to me, used to struggling with tight availability of my European FFPs (AB, AF, AZ, BA, LH).

And a big thanks to Marriott travel certificates, that provided me a way to get all the required miles.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have in writing from two seperate customer service agents that you if you have a segment in a lower class of service on a premium class award ticket you can move up if the higher class of service becomes available without a reprice of the award.
I actually just did this yesterday. Business class award ticket, had segments in economy, then business seats became available.

The agent initially told me that a $100 change fee would be assessed for this change, I told her I thought it should be free, she checked with someone and agreed. I just had to pay $5 in additional taxes. So I hope we can continue to do this after the changeover.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Except it does...at least on the website. I'm not sure if IT is working on something now, but noticed a change just now when updating an award ticket.

MEL-BKK-TPE-JFK booked for late Dec. knowing I needed a January date. Today the date I needed magically showed award space so I changed dates on the website. When making the changes ONLY the EXACT same flights listed as $0 and 0 miles. Other flights, even operated by same carrier, and same routing, just different times, showed +45,000 miles. I'm sure I could've circumvented this by calling in since new rates haven't technically gone into effect. But if it's indicative of what's to come, not looking good. Maybe it's just the website, or something deployed early on accident...but a data point.
I hope that was a momentary glitch of some type. I just checked a multi-leg booking on UA and partner carriers later in the year and it allows me to change it to different flight numbers on the UA connection without an upfare in miles.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I have in writing from two seperate customer service agents that you if you have a segment in a lower class of service on a premium class award ticket you can move up if the higher class of service becomes available without a reprice of the award.

I believe repricing will only happen if you make a change that would trigger a change fee for a regular mileageplus member.
This is for post-February 3 travel? Do you mean they documented your PNR with this information when you say have it "in writing?" In May, I have a mixed C/F award on LH (C-Class) & TG (F-Class)...hoping that I can move up to F on LH once it becomes available without any additional mileage charge!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by NYC1981
This is for post-February 3 travel? Do you mean they documented your PNR with this information when you say have it "in writing?" In May, I have a mixed C/F award on LH (C-Class) & TG (F-Class)...hoping that I can move up to F on LH once it becomes available without any additional mileage charge!
I contacted customer service via email twice and received the exact same response from two different agents.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Trying to book my first award travel before these changes take place. Couple questions as a 1K:

1. If I book EWR-ORD-NRT-ORD-EWR, can I change the dates/routing (still EWR start and NRT end) for without incurring the increase in mileage? From what I've read, I can do a date change if there's availability but unsure if I have to keep the same connection points.

2. If I decide I see a better date in business class, I'm assuming a change to saver business would incur the increase in mileage?

3. Is there anything stopping me from booking something and just keep changing the dates further and further out or is there a limitation on how far you can stretch it?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by awu25
Trying to book my first award travel before these changes take place. Couple questions as a 1K:

1. If I book EWR-ORD-NRT-ORD-EWR, can I change the dates/routing (still EWR start and NRT end) for without incurring the increase in mileage? From what I've read, I can do a date change if there's availability but unsure if I have to keep the same connection points.

2. If I decide I see a better date in business class, I'm assuming a change to saver business would incur the increase in mileage?

3. Is there anything stopping me from booking something and just keep changing the dates further and further out or is there a limitation on how far you can stretch it?
1. From what I've read, it will reprice as taxes will reprise

2. It will reprice

3. If you aren't an upper elite, you will still pay the change fee to change dates. You will have to use the trip completely by one year of ticketing... So gotta go and return by February 2015
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:52 am

I wouldn't bet the bank on an email from a customer service rep

I contacted customer service via email twice and received the exact same response from two different agents.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
I wouldn't bet the bank on an email from a customer service rep
Why is that?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Why is that?
It could be that individual agent's interpretation of the new rules, and not the official rules. Plus UA doesn't have to honor what an agent wrote, if they did in fact tell you the wrong info, even though the agent is a representative of United.

If anything I suspect if escalated, situations like this will be handled on a case by case basis.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:11 am

Smile

It could be that individual agent's interpretation of the new rules, and not the official rules. Plus UA doesn't have to honor what an agent wrote, if they did in fact tell you the wrong info, even though the agent is a representative of United.

If anything I suspect if escalated, situations like this will be handled on a case by case basis.
That's why I asked twice, one person stating the wrong information is possible, two people is a conspiracy
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:14 am

That's why I asked twice, one person stating the wrong information is possible, two people is a conspiracy
While I agree with you, I've lowered my faith in UA to do the right thing in most situations.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold

Um surely a representative of a company making a written representation to a customer is legally binding? I'm pretty sure there's well established case law here and DOT would certainly have an issue with this under their "unfair and deceptive practices" remit (given they just fined AA for their representatives saying "taxes" rather than "taxes and carrier imposed surcharges").

That said unless I had in writing for my specific reservation I certainly wouldn't rely on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.