Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Is the new February 3, 2014 change posted somewhere online on United.com?

Just tried to make a small change online in the same cabin and they are trying to charge me more miles. I don't think the agent will take an United exec post on FlyerTalk as a source.
I was running into the same problem last night. Took a supervisor to circumvent it and process the ticket. And almost 2hr on the phone.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by garbs
Yeah I noticed that when I checked the old chart again. Still that is a crazily affordable redemption, considering it's more expensive to do just Japan to Australia. Still we did get a drop in miles to travel to South Asia which might peak my interest instead of using my miles for miles+copay upgrades across the pond.
"get a drop in miles to travel to South Asia" from where? Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by O Sora
We shared something.^

If one makes an stopover at SEL/BKK/SIN/SYD/AKL, the 25k award cannot cover it.

Yes and No.

Y/UA C/Partner C miles
Previously it was 12.5k/20k/20k.
Currently 12.5k/25k/30k
Sorry guys, but is the current (12.5k/20k) from Japan to somewhere in the pacific gonna change too post 3 Feb? the pricing simply sounds amazing really. I have about 55.000k to burn and would so much like to try this out before the dreadful devaluation, especially in biz. Let me know (thanks)
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by asalmane
Sorry guys, but is the current (12.5k/20k) from Japan to somewhere in the pacific gonna change too post 3 Feb? the pricing simply sounds amazing really. I have about 55.000k to burn and would so much like to try this out before the dreadful devaluation, especially in biz. Let me know (thanks)
Yes. In my last post, "previously" meant 'before 2/3/2014' and "currently" meant 'on or after 2/3/2014'.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by O Sora
Yes. In my last post, "previously" meant 'before 2/3/2014' and "currently" meant 'on or after 2/3/2014'.
thanks. that sounds incredible (even if availability is scarce is business), but when i try to add in a stopover in auckland or bkk the number of miles increases dramatically. how sad.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by coiaflyer
Which awards are being reduced on Feb. 1st?? I think I missed that...
Another decrease is Central/South Africa <--> Middle East in economy.

Most awards are going up a lot (especially premium cabin) but the changes are not all increases.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: *A Gold / Delta
Any changes on europe to the middle east? Intra Europe? Europe-Maldives?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I think res is as confused as everyone else.

I am currently holding a RT from EWR-AUH with FRA-AUH on LH. I paid the 150k RT. For F but F is only available TATL. I am in Business for FRA-AUH.

I was just told by a res agent that if the Space in F opens up I will be put in F without a reprice in miles. Anybody else told something like this. of course, since it's on LH I will have to search myself and call up res to alert them.

I wish there was something in writing on this.

Cheers
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cruisr

I am currently holding a RT from EWR-AUH with FRA-AUH on LH. I paid the 150k RT. For F but F is only available TATL. I am in Business for FRA-AUH.

I was just told by a res agent that if the Space in F opens up I will be put in F without a reprice in miles. Anybody else told something like this. of course, since it's on LH I will have to search myself and call up res to alert them.

Cheers
People have been told all kinds of things by agents about what will or will not trigger a reprice. These sorts of statements are notoriously unreliable. We have no formal guidance except the messages from UA Insider posted in the Wiki on this thread.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
People have been told all kinds of things by agents about what will or will not trigger a reprice. These sorts of statements are notoriously unreliable. We have no formal guidance except the messages from UA Insider posted in the Wiki on this thread.

Yes, and that's not much guidance as this situation, where before deval the higher price was paid, and not available and then becomes available, will we be charged more?

It doesn't seem fair if they do try to reprice but then again we are not talking fair.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr

Cheers
I was told the same thing. Have JFK-FRA-BKK-HKG booked for March mostly in F. JFK-FRA leg is in LH C and the agent booking it for me said the same thing, if F opens up on it I would be able to change the award without a reprice. I'm still not convinced but I guess we'll see soon enough..
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You should ask the agents to dcument their statements about not requiring more miles in the PNRs.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You should ask the agents to dcument their statements about not requiring more miles in the PNRs.
Thanks Xyzzy. If push comes to shove do you think that would help or they would just say, sorry, he/she was wrong.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by xxmwxx
I was told the same thing. Have JFK-FRA-BKK-HKG booked for March mostly in F. JFK-FRA leg is in LH C and the agent booking it for me said the same thing, if F opens up on it I would be able to change the award without a reprice. I'm still not convinced but I guess we'll see soon enough..
I was told the same thing back in December. If space opens in a higher cabin up on a leg you are already booked in if the itinerary is in the higher cabin, they should be able to move you without an increase. Which makes obvious sense but we'll see
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by JSlo
This is good theater people!:

*United Drama*

Stage: "We thought we'd give a couple extra days of the old mileage redemption chart, just to make sure enough phone agents are around to handle the calls and to give people a little extra time" (bright white teeth give off sparkle twinkle from inside a forced smile)

Behind the curtain: absolute CHAOS lol. IT melting down, Phone Res agents telling customers all kinds of random things, Res system pricing awards randomly, inconsistent information is pervasive throughout the system, 2 hour phone calls to book an award, lol. CHAOS.

It actually gives me a chuckle thinking about a few obvious things:
1. UA mgmt (former CO mgmt) continue to prove they have no idea how to run an airline this large.
2. They desperately cling to any possible GAAP allowed to make for quarterly earnings window dressing. Despite these efforts they still trail the other legacy carriers.
3. Benefits for high revenue flyer's continue to erode, alienating the best/most consistent customers.
4. To make the next quarter, $2B in further cuts are announced (see #3!) #downwardspiral

I wonder looking back, a simple decision to adapt the legacy UA reservation system instead of migrating everything to CO based SHARES system in hindsight would have been a huge cost/reputation/image saver. Everything from GA issues to IRROPS to how long the web takes to load/ticket a res. It's very obviously outdated. Even their own admission that ExpertFlyer.com querying was stressing the system lol indicates they can't even handle typical web traffic. (LOL!). Granted- the old UA system wasn't perfect, held together by super glue. But the DOS based circa 1989 SHARES system CO/UA chose is held together by scotch tape. UA is a disaster. Only the Kettle's can bail them out now. (which seems to be where $mi/J has put his chips anyway..."sir, I'll put all my chips on Kettle!") #dealer spins roulette wheel....lol
Should have added, one other thought- from an accounting model standpoint by getting the masses (I have no idea the percentage) to redeem miles en masse, they can actually buy off another GAAP smoke and mirror item in the next quarters report...It would be interesting to see how they account for the reduction in miles as a liability. I may be looking at this wrong, please enlighten me if so- but even if there is only an increase in 5% of the miles- it's a HUGE number of miles coming off the books ahead of this award increase. I myself burned 600K+ miles I'm sure. Buys them time to build whatever they are building(?).

I have no position in the stock, neither long nor short. But after posting these two posts I googled a 5 year chart of the share price UAL...someone is laughing all the way to the bank on this one lol.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 1, 2014 at 2:50 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.