Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Madone59
I got lucky too! 7am PST changed a Intl itin from C to F when I saw two O seats open.....for 2015! WOW, I didn't even know there was a wire to get under, I figured it would happen tonight.

They are welcome to try, I have no miles left
watch out, they'll deny you boarding at the gate unless you buy miles at 10.9cpm to make up for the shortfall
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I was seeing rebooking information earlier this morning, but just now I'm getting a "cannot complete the transaction" message before I even get to the options page.

And now I'm getting through to the rebooking screen, but the only flight showing is the original itin. instead of the dozen or so flights (all with no availability) I was seeing as recently as yesterday. Maybe they're reloading things bit by bit.

Last edited by milepig; Feb 3, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:26 pm

FWIW: I had a flight booked in J at the old rate, and when F opened up, I was able to move to F for +20k miles, i.e., at the old rate. This was around 1 pm EST today.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA2MM AND 1K, HYATT GLOBALIST, AVIS PRES CLUB.
Booking engine down

Looks like all international itineraries have been turned off as "no availability," while domestic is still at old price. As of 3:45 pm ET today.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by jhtraveller
Looks like all international itineraries have been turned off as "no availability," while domestic is still at old price. As of 3:45 pm ET today.
domestics don't change price right?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
It is such a shame they had so much time to work and test the new rates and it is a mess today.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by jhtraveller
Wah whoa, someone didn't complete website testing over the weekend
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010
If UA will retroactively recredit miles for PNR that was booked after 2/1 and was charged the old higher mileage, they will probably go back to subtract more miles for PNR that was booked after midnight 2/3 with the old lower mileage from the old chart. UA has been famous in removing miles from MP member account since after the merger :-).
I'd simply cancel the trip if they tried-I'm 1K and this is just a fun-of-it burn miles short trip. But I think they will leave things alone.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by yerffej201
domestics don't change price right?
Lower 48 unchanged

Mainland <--> Hawaii (each way, Saver/Standard)
Economy: 20/40 --> 22.5/45
Business: 40/80 --> 40/90
First: 50/100 --> 50/102.5

Mainland <--> Alaska (each way)
Routes between Alaska and the continental U.S. or between Alaska and Canada will be charged an additional 5,000 miles for Saver and 10,000 miles for Standard.

FWIW, I've been seeing the new rates in effect domestically since this morning....
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by crimson12
FWIW: I had a flight booked in J at the old rate, and when F opened up, I was able to move to F for +20k miles, i.e., at the old rate. This was around 1 pm EST today.

Did you do this with a res agent? Did you get any pushback?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Hoarding Anonymous
Originally Posted by crimson12
Jealous. Well done!

Fingers crossed that the implementation is delayed another 24 hrs and I have an opportunity to rebook.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jcazes
Jealous. Well done!

Fingers crossed that the implementation is delayed another 24 hrs and I have an opportunity to rebook.
How self-serving. I'm more concerned about all of that non-UA award availability gone from the site than what rates are still in effect. It's a bit impractical for me to call right now and with availability being down for several hours and flight delays/cancellations, now would not be the best time to call. So, let's put things in perspective. With no partner award inventory, you can't book at any price - old or new.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
How self-serving. I'm more concerned about all of that non-UA award availability gone from the site than what rates are still in effect. It's a bit impractical for me to call right now and with availability being down for several hours and flight delays/cancellations, now would not be the best time to call. So, let's put things in perspective. With no partner award inventory, you can't book at any price - old or new.
you can call in to book. It'll just be priced at the new miles.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyersky1
It is such a shame they had so much time to work and test the new rates and it is a mess today.
SOP for UA IT!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Hoarding Anonymous
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Lighten up, Francis. I wasn't hoping for the system to remain down and for people like yourself to be stuck in limbo -- just that the old US-asia F award rates stick around for a little longer.

But honestly, if you really want talk about perspective then zoom out a little farther and realize we're all talking about booking free international flights sold for thousands of dollars. There are much bigger problems in the world. This thread is about United's devaluation of rates and that's what I'm discussing. UA's technical blunders, while frustrating and worthy of concern, may not even be linked to the changes being discussed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.