Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Originally Posted by PacificTwo
Given the specific note on cabin not changing, I do not think you will be able to change your ticket without a re-price (bolding mine):
I don't think thats exactly clear. If you are booked in F (O), and you were only able to get seats in J (I), your ticket is still an "F" ticket...guess we have to wait until the first reports.

I have FRA-SFO in UA F, will be hoping for LH F (assuming M&M doesn't block them out by then) which is a carrier and time change, which should not be upfared.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:22 am

Pardon for my glass half full....

but, the comments from UA Insider, if I read them correctly, AND are communicated to front line staff, seem to soften the blow a bit.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA GS
What I'm hoping for is that the rules will be confusing enough that those of us who booked an F award where one segment was only available in J will be able to sweet talk our way into moving the rest by pointing out it isn't really a change in cabin.

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Hmm so does this mean those of us that booked say:

MUC - YYZ - DCA on LH F could switch to FRA - IAD on LH F (origin / destination in same region - carrier remains as LH)? Or are we out of luck since the YYZ - DCA (or whatever our connecting portion is say YYZ - ORD / LAX / SFO / etc.) is not on LH F but on UA / AC / US Y/F?

Presumably at the very least we could switch to FRA - YYZ?
I read it as the change from UA to partner metal has to be on a segment within a region, so changing the intl segment would reprice.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JetAway
Have you heard this from LH?
No.

Originally Posted by DBCme
Pardon for my glass half full....

but, the comments from UA Insider, if I read them correctly, AND are communicated to front line staff, seem to soften the blow a bit.
Battered wife syndrome.

Cheers
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
An interesting side-effect of the new rules is that, for some routings, long-haul F and long-haul C saver awards on UA metal now price identically! For example, I was looking at one-way awards SGN>BOS just now:

Both 80K miles per person, and the initial segment in both cases is in NH C. Perhaps it's reflecting the fact that UA GF isn't worth more miles than BF?

Regardless, I'll take GF. Mmmmm, soup.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:37 am

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.[INDENT][LIST][*]For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
This is actually a smart move on UA's part on two counts. First is the obvious customer friendly nature of it, and second is the profit-maximizing part of it. If someone wants to fly business somewhere that UA doesn't fly their own metal, this gives an incentive to fly UA metal on the intercontinental legs. If a shorthaul partner flight triggered partner pricing, there would be no incentive to stick to UA on the long flight. I'm sure the bean counters came to the conclusion that the rule makes business sense.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Both 80K miles per person, and the initial segment in both cases is in NH C. Perhaps it's reflecting the fact that UA GF isn't worth more miles than BF?

Yeah that's by design if the main overwater leg is on United metal, it's pricing the award as a UA award vs partner metal for the business award.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Hmm so does this mean those of us that booked say:

MUC - YYZ - DCA on LH F could switch to FRA - IAD on LH F (origin / destination in same region - carrier remains as LH)? Or are we out of luck since the YYZ - DCA (or whatever our connecting portion is say YYZ - ORD / LAX / SFO / etc.) is not on LH F but on UA / AC / US Y/F?

Presumably at the very least we could switch to FRA - YYZ?
Not quite the same situation but perhaps still useful to someone...

I have ICN-JFK booked in OZ F. I called to inquire about adding an EWR-YYT segment in UA J, and I was told it would require additional miles.

In this case, the destination would stay in the same region (North America), but the addition of a segment results in a carrier change (from no flight to a United flight) and triggers a reprice. It seems consistent with the new information we have been provided.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
An interesting side-effect of the new rules is that, for some routings, long-haul F and long-haul C saver awards on UA metal now price identically! For example, I was looking at one-way awards SGN>BOS just now:

The interesting question is how to force such pricing. For example, if in your example ANA happened to have both F and J seats on the flight SGN-NRT, there is no way to tell the system that you'd like J on that flight and then F on the transpacific UA flight (in order to take advantage of UA F price).
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by claurianta2
The interesting question is how to force such pricing. For example, if in your example ANA happened to have both F and J seats on the flight SGN-NRT, there is no way to tell the system that you'd like J on that flight and then F on the transpacific UA flight (in order to take advantage of UA F price).
Multi-city search specifying the cabin on each leg?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
Multi-city search specifying the cabin on each leg?
Multi-city has a clear preference for sticking to the same cabin. Unless they've managed to fix the serious weaknesses of multi-city search, I don't think that will work very well except perhaps for a one way.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
any ideas re: pricing?

My understanding of the new rules is that if I redeem for a ticket that has me in UA Global First -- with the rest of the segments in Star Business/Economy -- the United Award rate will apply.

Any ideas why the United Award rate (80K in Global First to South Asia) isn't applying to the below itinerary? Instead, it seems to be pricing at the Star F 120K level. Thanks!

Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by boat9781
My understanding of the new rules is that if I redeem for a ticket that has me in UA Global First -- with the rest of the segments in Star Business/Economy -- the United Award rate will apply.

Any ideas why the United Award rate (80K in Global First to South Asia) isn't applying to the below itinerary? Instead, it seems to be pricing at the Star F 120K level. Thanks!

I suspect that's 80K UA first North America to Japan, plus 40K partner business Japan to South Asia. The multi-city tool doesn't realize you are connecting and thinks it's a stopover, which is not allowed on a one-way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.