Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by wyoon
Dang!!!
Spoke to an agent after my last message but she said it would not pull more miles. I will have to keep monitoring and see what happens.
Obviously, there's no harm in asking, in particular if you got that initial response from an agent!

Originally Posted by patchan8984
I don't think thats exactly clear. If you are booked in F (O), and you were only able to get seats in J (I), your ticket is still an "F" ticket...guess we have to wait until the first reports.

I have FRA-SFO in UA F, will be hoping for LH F (assuming M&M doesn't block them out by then) which is a carrier and time change, which should not be upfared.
Indeed, we will have to wait. That was just my read though based on Aaron calling out "cabin" explicitly, even if the award in total is an F ticket.

I'm in the same boat as you having secured a UA F seat from FRA back to the US, and read the rules as allowing a change if LH opens up F on the same route. So I will hope that Aaron's summary is ultimately honored!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by villox
I don't understand how you can change carrier on one segment (point 2), but then also change origin/destination with the same region (point 3). Doesn't this mean you could change the carrier first, then change the Origin or destination, as long as in the same region?
Excellent question.

I think it all would have been a lot clearer and simpler if UA had just said that any change that would not have required a change in the number of miles needed under the old system will not trigger a reprice.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by PacificTwo
Indeed, we will have to wait. That was just my read though based on Aaron calling out "cabin" explicitly, even if the award in total is an F ticket.

I'm in the same boat as you having secured a UA F seat from FRA back to the US, and read the rules as allowing a change if LH opens up F on the same route. So I will hope that Aaron's summary is ultimately honored!
My read is change w/o reprice only applies for a partner->partner change or UA->UA change. If there is a UA-partner change or the other way around (which is highly undesirable), it will trigger a reprice.

Still need more clarifications.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by IAHTRVLR
Couldn't disagree more: Aaron said "any change that requires an award to reprice" if on a business award ticket you have an economy segment, moving that cabin up to business to match the rest of the ticket won't trigger a reprice of the award and therefore should be allowed
This type of change (shift from Y to F on a feeder flight connecting to international F, ticketed in F) wasn't allowed by a phone agent, who spoke to more than one supervisor to confirm this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 5khours
I think it all would have been a lot clearer and simpler if UA had just said that any change that would not have required a change in the number of miles needed under the old system will not trigger a reprice.
But if they were clearer, there would have been a flurry of UA First "anywhere in the US to FRA/MUC" booking with the intent of converting them to LH First down the road at T-7/14.

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alex_b
"Award type" has historically distinguished between Saver and Standard. For example you couldn't waitlist business unless the same award type for that itinerary was available in economy.
+1; that's how I read it. Change in award type is Saver vs Standard, change in Cabin is going from Y award to J award; both will be repriced. Change in segment, ie going from a Y segment to J segment on an already ticketed J award should not trigger a reprice.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
#1. That would have been the best thing to do. Easy for res and keeps the clients happy.

Originally Posted by SFOvacations
+1; that's how I read it. Change in award type is Saver vs Standard, change in Cabin is going from Y award to J award; both will be repriced. Change in segment, ie going from a Y segment to J segment on an already ticketed J award should not trigger a reprice.
So then that would make J to F on an already ticketed F award not do a reprice?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2014 at 1:18 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cruisr
#1. That would have been the best thing to do. Easy for res and keeps the clients happy.
Not sure either of those are high priorities.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by 5khours
Then there will barely be any award devaluation anyway. People booked before Feb. 3 have locked into a pre-devaluation rate that is good for changes with a broad latitude in next 365 days after ticket issuance.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
This is what I intensely dislike about how UA is operating. No less than 3 res agents told me I could change, with no additional miles, as I have already had the miles deducted.
...this is the crux of what is wrong at UA; everything they do is "Ready, fire, aim" there is no inter-departmental training or communication.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:57 am
Suspended

An award that I was watching increased from 60,000 to 80,000 (one way, C). I guess I have to get into the Manufactured Spend game now to cover the difference

Last edited by Dieuwer; Feb 4, 2014 at 11:11 am
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
So then that would make J to F on an already ticketed F award not do a reprice?
That is how I read it. I think the best way to look at it is if the Fare Basis Code (on the rules and regulation link of your award) changes, then it will reprice.

The Fare basis code does not change unless:
- Change is made from Saver to Standard Award
- Change is made from Economy Award to Business Award or First Award
- Change is made to Region at origin/destination
for future bookings looks like the Fare Basis Code will also be different for United awards vs Star Alliance awards

Anything that doesn't require changing the fare basis code like date, carrier, segment, Y to F on a F Award, etc. should not trigger a reprice.

That is how I read it. I think the best way to look at it is if the Fare Basis Code (on the rules and regulation link of your award) changes, then it will reprice.

for future bookings looks like the Fare Basis Code will also be different for United awards vs Star Alliance awards

Anything that doesn't require changing the fare basis code like date, carrier, segment, Y to F on a F Award, etc. should not trigger a reprice.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-types-4.html
See this thread for the different award codes

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2014 at 1:18 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K

I believe the total number of experiments which FlyerTalk users have performed so far is 1. So far, the experimental result is::

Originally Posted by martina
This type of change (shift from Y to F on a feeder flight connecting to international F, ticketed in F) wasn't allowed by a phone agent, who spoke to more than one supervisor to confirm this.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by lewende
Then there will barely be any award devaluation anyway. People booked before Feb. 3 have locked into a pre-devaluation rate that is good for changes with a broad latitude in next 365 days after ticket issuance.
According to Aaron's latest post, there already is broad latitude for change. They just should have made it easier to understand.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:21 am

I tried to change my flights online. Carrier change, route change, class, origin and destination remain the same. They are not charging any more miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.