Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Unfortunately the flights are almost empty up front. And last year this time there were plenty of flights available now for the summer. If everyone has booked these flights then why are they empty? It is not coincidental that there is not 1, and I repeat 1 flight available from IAH in MAY-AUG. And most likely to IAH as well.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by everetl
I dare anyone to find a Non Stop flight to Europe on UA Metal from IAH During the summer months in Business or First Saver. (IAH-LHR,AMS,FRA, and even new MUC).

There are tons of seats, but UA must be holding back until after Feb 1st.......
Finding front-cabin award seats to Europe during peak summer travel season is difficult and requires patience, tenacity, and a willingness to explore connections. These are probably the highest demand award seats UA has and they are difficult to snag. We might wish it were otherwise, but that's just the reality.

Further, it's not like there's nothing at all out there right now. There are connections through other UA hubs (ORD, EWR, IAD) in GF as well as connections on LH in J through various cities (including IAD on the 748).

Originally Posted by mattp1987
This is the most popular time of year for award flights to Europe. Many of these seats were probably snatched up close to when they were loaded in the schedule. Since even flights on UA metal are going up 7500 miles each way after Feb 1, I would guess that the remainder have been booked since the new chart was posted. I doubt you'll see a ton of space suddenly released at the beginning of Feb.
+1
This same complaint ("UA hasn't opened any business award seats to Europe in June despite the cabin showing empty") is repeated over and over again in various threads. I guarantee you that by the time the plane takes off, those seats will be filled - and mostly by paying pax.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Unfortunately the flights are almost empty up front. And last year this time there were plenty of flights available now for the summer. If everyone has booked these flights then why are they empty? It is not coincidental that there is not 1, and I repeat 1 flight available from IAH in MAY-AUG. And most likely to IAH as well.
I agree with your observation, but possibly not your conclusion. Last year I booked a SFO-LHR RT in BF and GF in early November. I remember being shocked by the availability at the time. O9, I9 on non-stops throughout much of July and August. Here is my post about this crazy summer availability in early November of last year. In fact, I remember being so shocked that I though it might have been a mistake.

This year, I started checking in late October and there was NOTHING until last week. Then all of a sudden there was good availability SFO-LHR in GF for several July dates. Of course it was all O3, rather than the crazy availability of the previous year. Also, there are no return flights available as yet.

Though I was initially concerned that United was planning to clamp down on availability until after the new awards chart goes into effect, I am no longer convinced that this is what's going on (or that it is the only factor). Last year's wide open availability was really anomalous. In past years I have had to wait until December and January to find summer BF and GF availability, and it was almost always with a connection in ORD, EWR, etc., or it was connecting in Europe. In many cases there were only two seats available and I had to split us onto separate flights (which I was able to change as additional seats opened up). I tend to think that last year's wide open availability was the anomaly.

So...
I think it is possible that United is restricting availability until the new awards chart is implemented, but I don't think it is entirely clear yet. I'm hoping to see some availability for my August return flight appear in the next couple of months. I hope that you start to see some flights out of IAH. If I don't see anything by mid-January, I will join the chorus.

Last edited by lexdevil; Nov 27, 2013 at 10:01 am
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Finding front-cabin award seats to Europe during peak summer travel season is difficult and requires patience, tenacity, and a willingness to explore connections. These are probably the highest demand award seats UA has and they are difficult to snag. We might wish it were otherwise, but that's just the reality.

Further, it's not like there's nothing at all out there right now. There are connections through other UA hubs (ORD, EWR, IAD) in GF as well as connections on LH in J through various cities (including IAD on the 748).

+1
This same complaint ("UA hasn't opened any business award seats to Europe in June despite the cabin showing empty") is repeated over and over again in various threads. I guarantee you that by the time the plane takes off, those seats will be filled - and mostly by paying pax.
There is nothing out there right now non stop. That is my point. Of course I can find a connection. And it hasn't taken much tenacity in the past to find an award booking this far out for summer. It takes maybe some flexibility on the dates. That is it. I've done it that way the last 5 years. Nevertheless, I booked something just to have something changeable and it includes a stopover in NYC and I will see some friends or something. I have to be flexible like before, just a whole lot more flexible. Will see what opens up in the next 2 months but I wouldn't count on it. From a business sense it makes sense to limit or at least throttle saver/partner awards until Feb 1, otherwise the balance sheet for the rest of the year would be way off on heavy award bookings.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:25 am

Nevertheless, I booked something just to have something changeable and it includes a stopover in NYC and I will see some friends or something. I have to be flexible like before, just a whole lot more flexible.
I think you followed the exact strategy most here would recommend...

How long is your NYC layover? Can you find one with only two or three hours?

And, as others have said, now your work starts. Keep checking, babysit, hopefully find a better option.

Good luck!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I think you followed the exact strategy most here would recommend...

How long is your NYC layover? Can you find one with only two or three hours?

And, as others have said, now your work starts. Keep checking, babysit, hopefully find a better option.

Good luck!
Thanks but this is an almost unheard of strategy for me. Going to spend the weekend there to break the trip up.

As an example, there are 3 dailies to LHR from IAH, roughly 240 seats in both directions in C. From May - Sept that gives you 36,000 seats. Go try to find one in saver........that is not a coincidence.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Hey Aaron (or others),

If I have an award ticket booked in J for next summer with the first leg booked in Y but waitlisted for F (no F currently available - the flight is a DCA - IAH connector to IAH - IST in TK J), if the waitlist clears after February 1st would I get hit with the higher mileage price? If so that's fine, but it's a short enough flight that I'd prefer to remove the waitlist request if it doesn't clear before February 1 so that I don't get hit with an additional mileage charge for the shortest leg of my trip, especially since it's a partner J award which would require a significant bump in mileage.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Hey Aaron (or others),

If I have an award ticket booked in J for next summer with the first leg booked in Y but waitlisted for F (no F currently available - the flight is a DCA - IAH connector to IAH - IST in TK J), if the waitlist clears after February 1st would I get hit with the higher mileage price? If so that's fine, but it's a short enough flight that I'd prefer to remove the waitlist request if it doesn't clear before February 1 so that I don't get hit with an additional mileage charge for the shortest leg of my trip, especially since it's a partner J award which would require a significant bump in mileage.
No one (AFAIK) has come up with a clear answer on this. A lot of ambiguity exists, but the common attitude is to assume that you would be hit for the higher miles cost if anything happened to your ticket after Feb 1.

Not getting clear answers from UA leads me to think worst case scenario.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:02 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
UA will not hit you with additional mileage requirements after it has accepted your miles for waitlisted upgrades.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
No one (AFAIK) has come up with a clear answer on this. A lot of ambiguity exists, but the common attitude is to assume that you would be hit for the higher miles cost if anything happened to your ticket after Feb 1.

Not getting clear answers from UA leads me to think worst case scenario.
I have PMed UAInsider and was told to "...be conservative..." My question was if I get a pre 2/1 C award, and F seats open up will the ticket be grandfathered and I will owe the old difference or will I be on the hook for another 40,000 miles if I make any changes.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Madone59
I have PMed UAInsider and was told to "...be conservative..." My question was if I get a pre 2/1 C award, and F seats open up will the ticket be grandfathered and I will owe the old difference or will I be on the hook for another 40,000 miles if I make any changes.
My bet is they reprice if you change to a new class of service.

I tend to agree with RNE a repricing is not going to happen just because a waitlisted segment clears from Y to J on a J itinerary.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
UA will not hit you with additional mileage requirements after it has accepted your miles for waitlisted upgrades.
This isn't an upgrade situation, it's a cabin change

Originally Posted by Madone59
This really stinks that they've announced this yet can't give us real answers yet Just like the long list of PQD questions.

(I bet you get screwed in your case unfortunately)
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Warning: arcane fare rules question ahead

So, trying to figure out when an award ticket would be repriced at the higher rate after the changeover led me into the tall weeds of the Fare Rules. I found this:

FOR PPN
BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT VALIDITY
CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY
THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES
NO CHARGE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE
COMPONENTS- CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY
PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
1. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST
BE DOMESTIC
2. UA FARES GOVERNED BY SAME RULE ARE USED
3. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED
FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF
4. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE
OF PRICING UNIT
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE REFUND RESIDUAL THEN
ADD-COLLECT - REFUND VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT
ENDORSEMENT BOX- NEW ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
FOR PPN
ANYTIME WITHIN TKT VALIDITY
CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY
THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES
NO CHARGE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE
COMPONENTS- CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON/FARE BREAKS
2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST
BE DOMESTIC
3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT
4. CHANGE IS NO LATER THAN 21 DAYS ON/BEFORE DAY OF
ORIGINAL SCHEDULED FLIGHT
5. UA FARES GOVERNED BY SAME RULE ARE USED
6. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED
FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF
7. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
8. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE REFUND RESIDUAL THEN
ADD-COLLECT - REFUND VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT
ENDORSEMENT BOX- HIGHER NON-REF AMOUNT.

Similar entries are listed for PPO and PPP.

My question is, what are PPN, PPO, and PPP, and does anyone know how to figure out which category a ticket is in? All three are listed on every award ticket rule sheet.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kalendil
My question is, what are PPN, PPO, and PPP, and does anyone know how to figure out which category a ticket is in? All three are listed on every award ticket rule sheet.
Just picked the brain of a UA check-in agent who is a close friend......they have no idea what PPN, PPO, PPP is. Anyone have a ticket agent friend?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
I think the crux of the matter (and what UA Insider, the twitter account, the phone agents and the M+ contact email account can't seem to agree on) is "Will revalidation for date changes trigger reprice? Will revalidation of multiple segments trigger reprice?"

If not, I've got stuff I could ticket right now.

If yes, they need to *tell us.*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.