Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
n the contrary -- the more we burn on partners now the more they will see their decision as a success.
I am afraid that is correct
Reduction in outstanding frequent flyer mileage liability
I believe United has among the highest exposure of US carriers

Increase in passenger "revenue" when miles are redeemed.

Despite their public pronouncements to the contrary, I do not believe Mr Smisek and his lieutenants are particularly sensitive to outcries from the traveling public.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
NRT to LXA (Lhasa,Tibet) went from 20k rt to 70k rt. Lord have mercy on our souls. Back to page 1.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
CX is also a good program (in particular for RTW and some of the longer awards, especially with enhanced inventory for CX members.)
Earning miles outside Canada/HK may be difficult, though.
(though SIN to some extent has good mileage earning opportunities for CX.)
cx rewards are mileage based with surcharges? what rewards are good value?

I like their service but their program is kinda weird. I had to enroll my mom in marco polo and asia smiles.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Sure -- and next year and in the future when they have so much less to pay the partners they'll marvel at how smart they were and at how much less they had to pay. We have manufactured spend -- they have manufactured savings.
I think the folks on Wacker Drive feel that there is a lot more talk than actin when it comes to this. Time will tell.
its possible this move will tank their stock for a quarter or so because of the write down on cost of redemptions but then afterwards their balance sheet will look that much nicer.

any guesses on how the stock will move. they took a hit recently on their earnings report.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 15, 2013 at 5:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:08 pm

If I'm reading this correctly, if I book on UA F now and later change to LH F for the same dates/destination (should it become available), I will not be peso'd. Correct?

Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by malgudi
If I'm reading this correctly, if I book on UA F now and later change to LH F for the same dates/destination (should it become available), I will not be peso'd. Correct?
Well, since UA has now distinguished *different* rates for partners versus their own metal after 1 Feb 2014, I think you will be charged the *new* rates for the LH sectors, versus probably just a simple date-change and no mileage penalty if you stay on UA metal...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 17, 2013 at 1:22 am
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by entropy
If people are maxing out (in some cases punitively) their award bookings in O, UA is going to be paying out a massive bundle of cash to partners for those seats (which by their statement, if you believe them, is costing them big bucks)

Going forward, many of those people will stop collecting miles on United.
Exactly. That's my pattern anyway. Burning on partners now, no plans to book UA anymore later.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BearX220
Exactly. That's my pattern anyway. Burning on partners now, no plans to book UA anymore later.
Almost 950K miles burned in the last 12 months from my account and another 200K to go from family accounts. All those miles resulted in exactly 1 flight, 2 seats, on UA.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:33 am
RNE

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Almost 950K miles burned in the last 12 months from my account and another 200K to go from family accounts. All those miles resulted in exactly 1 flight, 2 seats, on UA.
Pray tell.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Thanks!
You're gonna be hosed - I was thinking of doing the same thing for an April flight (switching from UA C to LH F once it opens), and same class of service or not, I'm fully confident I'm going to get gouged if I want to make the switch.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D

Thanks!
You will be peso'd almost 100% fore sure.

Another scenario that remains murky, while UA Insider was reluctant to reveal is: if I book on TG F now and later change to LH F for the same dates/destination, will I be peso'd or not...I guess UA still hasn't figured out that part.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by RNE
Pray tell.
My reading is "All those miles resulted in exactly 1 flight, 2 seats, on UA metal, everything else on partner metal."
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:19 am
RNE

Curious on what one flight you spent almost a million miles for two seats?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lewende
You will be peso'd almost 100% fore sure.

Another scenario that remains murky, while UA Insider was reluctant to reveal is: if I book on TG F now and later change to LH F for the same dates/destination, will I be peso'd or not...I guess UA still hasn't figured out that part.
Occams Razor - of course we'll be charged the higher amount

Maybe we'll hear something official in 6 months or so
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by wolfman888 View Post
"Q: If I book an award in Jan 2014 and then make changes in Feb or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies. "

Sorry, but the answer above is not clear enough for me. Sure, we know that if we change cities and dates, for example, we have to pay change fees "as per existing policies," but the question is NOT directly being answered. If someone changes, say, the city and dates of his award flight, but the award is still in the same zone, sometime after January, does he or does not not have to cough up extra miles? The character above does NOT answer the OP's essential question. Anybody notice any reference to new or old award chart in the so-called answer? When they decide whether additional miles need to be "collected," will they use the old or new chart???
Originally Posted by 5khours
I too would like to see a clearer answer on this.
I would also like a definitive answer on this. I have a flight at the end of February that I booked 6 months ago.

I am flying from BKK-FRA in TG F, [7 hour layover], then from FRA-SFO in UA F. I was hoping to change the FRA-SFO segment to LH F.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by Kraut
I would also like a definitive answer on this. I have a flight at the end of February that I booked 6 months ago.

I am flying from BKK-FRA in TG F, [7 hour layover], then from FRA-SFO in UA F. I was hoping to change the FRA-SFO segment to LH F.
I hope you will be able to change without reprice. After all, it is already priced as a partner F award between South Asia and the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.