Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:53 pm

Annual fee posted yesterday. Called today and got a $100 credit statement. The card will remain in my sock drawer for another year as I put my AA and US cards to use.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
UA is too big for it's britches. It has just gutted the one thing that almost everyone was defending their choice of UA.
Bingo!
Gone forever is the (relative) security many of us felt with our United miles. They were harder to accumulate, but easier to redeem with (overall) more options and some great premium cabin redemptions. Since the merger UA has meticulously gone through the list of items their customers value about the MileagePlusToMinus program and taken them away step-by-step. You can go through the list of things customers most valued as presented in online forums and social media and see this.

Sorry to see the additional attack on Upgrades in the Western Hemisphere as well - the changes seem to be more punitive than something that is going to earn them much extra revenue.

No reason at all now to fly UA except when they have best value, most convenient, and most comfortable alternative.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by tom911
Have to love AA's social media, jumping right on the UA changes:

UA's been busy the last few hours, too:

Think they're getting the message out?

Same exact message on Facebook also.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Totally wrong. LH gets around 1.5 cpm per award mile. Their only incremental cost is fuel (roughly 4% of incremental carried weight per hour so about a gallon an hour) and food. You're talking roughly $50 of cost versus roughly $1000 in revenue for an F OW TATL. This is incremental profit on otherwise unused seats so it's hugely profitable. 2 seats per flight in F alone generates $100 million a year on the bottom line.
I have had the opportunity a couple of times to grab one seat in F from NRT to FRA. Only grabbed it once and let Mrs. EX enjoy the ride, while I was in C. But usually she loves to travel close to me, so we pass on the F seat, which seems to be available as one seat always. But we usually check and usually the seat, which if available for redemption, goes empty. Proves, it's better to take pennies from a redemption than nothing. Again, I am not saying a seat is available all the time.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Sorry to see the additional attack on Upgrades in the Western Hemisphere as well - the changes seem to be more punitive than something that is going to earn them much extra revenue.
I'm sure UA's spin on this one will be that people have complained about the integrity of the F cabin, so they are taking steps to make it harder to upgrade. Reading between the lines, though, we'll note they say nothing about fixing TODs or the many other upgrade-related problems.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I have had the opportunity a couple of times to grab one seat in F from NRT to FRA. Only grabbed it once and let Mrs. EX enjoy the ride, while I was in C. But usually she loves to travel close to me, so we pass on the F seat, which seems to be available as one seat always. But we usually check and usually the seat, which if available for redemption, goes empty. Proves, it's better to take pennies from a redemption than nothing. Again, I am not saying a seat is available all the time.
If that is the case, then why did LX recently announce that F redemptions are only going to be available for top level M&M members? Why are they going to be shutting out all other Star FFers and turn away that incremental revenue?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
If that is the case, then why did LX recently announce that F redemptions are only going to be available for top level M&M members? Why are they going to be shutting out all other Star FFers and turn away that incremental revenue?
As far as I can see LX and LH have 8 seats in F out of NRT on their flights. I will try LX next year and see what is going on. For now I would guess that the situation is not different from LH, but I haven't seen it in person.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Takes a bit of work, but I can almost always get 2 seats if I have a little flexibility on date. Have several times traveled with my spouse in LH F when there was another couple also traveling on UA miles. That's half the seats in the cabin sold as awards.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Very good question. SQ used to do the same thing with their Suites, but now it's easy to get Suites with SQ miles.

Presumably LX, believes they get additional full fare F revenue , which is greater than the lost award revenue, by making F more exclusive. (Hard for me to believe that's the case, but that's just MHO).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 2, 2013 at 11:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So let me get this straight - we need to hit PQD spend to keep our Elite benefits, and now the MP redemptions are literally gutted (to the point where redemptions on Delta start to look similar) - what exactly is the benefit of flying or remaining loyal to UA again? What is the value proposition of the overall UA product? I'm trying to stretch here because as a supporter of the company, these changes are wearing my patience thin.

Why the devaluation? Why not just restrict GF award saver inventory if the number of seats available for sale is a problem (do people really pay for GF? they really shouldn't be - it's not close to comparable with a 'real' airline). GF is not "exclusive" - it's a run-of-the-mill premium class product (I know, I've flown in it a few times, and before the inflight product cutbacks). I can sell full J and upgrade customers into GF without miles/instruments - so it's not that 'exclusive'.

The sheer arrogance demonstrated by this airline's leadership is truly startling - they must really believe their customers don't have a choice. What is it with the constant lock-step changes in line with Delta?

I need to check out the AA marketing response to this - if they are aggressively slamming UA and actively courting UA loyal customers and elites again, I think it's great, and I hope they keep it up - and thrive without US so they remain a viable alternative.

Edited to add: the increase on intra-Asia awards (which I actually redeem) is startling - 50% increase in Y!!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:43 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Do AA still offer status match for this 1k?
To be honest, I hope not. AA has already been way too generous to UA 1ks this year.

I'm sorry and truly wish you luck; however as an AA person who is earning Executive Platinum the hard way on segments - my violin is in the shop.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So let me get this straight - we need to hit PQD spend to keep our Elite benefits, and now the MP redemptions are literally gutted (to the point where redemptions on Delta start to look similar) - what exactly is the benefit of flying or remaining loyal to UA again? What is the value proposition of the overall UA product? I'm trying to stretch here because as a supporter of the company, these changes are wearing my patience thin....
+1 Add the $200 domestic change fees and RJs taking over most of the flying, why would one want to consider them any more? It is going to be interesting to watch how 2014 shapes up for United Airlines (or should I call it by its more appropriate name United Express Airlines)
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Very good question. SQ used to do the same thing with their Suites, but now it's easy to get Suites with SQ miles.
But can you book SQ Suites or F with UA MP miles?

I don't have any SQ miles...
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Nope, Krisflyer via AX MR is the way to go there

count me as one of those what will be abandoning MileageMinus and UA and most of my chase spending. CitiAA and Amex MR here I come. I'll keep CSP and Ink around for hyatt, but thats about it.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Bingo!
Gone forever is the (relative) security many of us felt with our United miles. They were harder to accumulate, but easier to redeem with (overall) more options and some great premium cabin redemptions.
What are you smoking? <joke>

Who is easier?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Intra-Asia F yes. Suites and long haul F no. Maybe that's the next step. If you have a product that beats all the competition and you can fill it on full fare, there's no need for price discrimination. (IMHO neither condition is true for LX).

Get an Amex card. (as exmike suggests).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.