Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:21 am
RNE

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
You can thank Chase freeloaders for this.
I hate those no-good Chase freeloaders! All they do is bring millions of dollars directly to UA's bottom line! Let's tar and feather those scoundrels! Oh, wait. I'm one of them. Never mind.

Originally Posted by karenkay
I'm so glad mr kk and I redeemed saver award to India earlier this year.
We're glad too. Mr kk and I redeemed saver awards to Japan. Oh, wait. I meant TSMRSRNE.

Originally Posted by artemis
I'm sure there's some folks out there with entitlement issues. But I look at it from this perspective: if UA is going to devalue their ff program in ways that make it nearly useless to me (because there's no way UA is going to be releasing more Saver J and F space on their own metal to make up for the loss of partner availability), why should I bother dealing with UA at all?
Well, since you asked, I'll tell you. MileagePlus is not useless to you or anyone. MP miles are extremely valuable and I'll gladly accept yours if they're really so useless to you. Now that we've put that silliness to rest, let's focus on the salient issues.

Yes, this devaluation sucks. MP is my primary reason to fly on UA (and its *A partners) and the reason I almost exclusively carry Chase cards. I don't like this at all. However, the devaluation—while admittedly extreme for partner airlines—is not unexpected (to me), nor will it go unanswered by other airlines. And while MP is my primary reason to fly UA, it is not the sole reason. Indeed, I'm a hub captive, like millions of us, and moreover I like the UA route structure. It takes me to (most) places I want to go. And it still will for the foreseeable future. I'm not going to make emotional decisions—particularly not where money is concerned. And I never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

In conclusion, those who currently make the best use of their miles—people like you and me—are savvy enough to still get a lot of value from MP. Yes, it may take a little more effort or finesse to get the award bookings we want, but we'll do it. You'll see.

RNE, opining that when UA announces more devaluations in 2015, we'll look back on 2014 with fond memories.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Brian
You guys don't get it, do you?

One of the many reasons for the devaluation, coming now, is to provoke the outcry you have inevitably provided and reduce the chance of the US-AA merger going through. That leaves UA fighting two greatly weakened carriers.
That really is not it, but it is what UA and A4A may want some to believe.

Originally Posted by Brian
The only leverage point against United is Chase. Chase's investment of Billions in MP miles has been devalued. A couple of hundred thousand cancelled cards and a redirected spend on others will probably really hurt.
Didn't work out that way with DL-Amex. I have doubts that a UA-Chase outcome would work out any better for consumers in the main.

"No waivers, no favors?" That was a DL line.

I suggest informing others about how bad the program is turning out to be. Negative "word-of-mouth" communications in the airline's own premium cabins and lounges seems to be something airline management gets concerned about ---- way more so when it involves pamphleteering.

What is amusing about these changes is in who it hits: those who are most likely to redeem partner airline premium cabin award space -- a group that have historically been amongst those who are much more likely to fly the same way for work and/or leisure and are premium value customers the airlines desperately need. Why should such customers accumulate miles to redeem for economy class travel when the habit is to fly in premium cabins? After emptying out mileage balances, "loyalty" tends to shift even more.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I made it through the first 12 pages of this thread, and get the point, so I am now posting myself. My key points:

1) DL's devaluation several years ago actually came with no notice whatsoever
2) I was thinking of returning to UA now that my BA Gold status is nearing an end, but my new plan is to go with US instead because its award chart currently really is the best in the industry (though no one-way awards stings a bit)
3) I hope the DOJ uses this devaluation as added ammo in its case against AA/US; if that merger happens, the new AA will surely follow UA's lead
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:36 am

In case it's useful, there are tables here for a side by side comparison of United's new chart with American and Delta

http://milecards.com/7620/how-united...you-should-do/

Scroll down past the 'what you should' do section to see them
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by JetAway
Now that they've rolled out a lot of bad news I'm hoping they give us some good news over the next couple of weeks. Although I'm not sure what that would be. Maybe the return of premium SQ redemptions in 2014? Or LX First?
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
You're dreaming.
Indeed. The only news from UA these days is no news.

Originally Posted by moondog
3) I hope the DOJ uses this devaluation as added ammo in its case against AA/US; if that merger happens, the new AA will surely follow UA's lead
UA doesn't lead. They simply follow DL. It reminds me of the South Park episode from many years ago when the kid keeps telling Professor Chaos 'The Simpsons did it, the Simpsons did it'.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by fahrradman
Or walk. That is the most effective protest.
Actually, the most effective protest is to convince others to walk with you. If you're like me, you're the one person friends and family call before booking their travel. It's time to take UA off the board as an option. Got influence in the office, use it there too.

Personally what I'll be doing is walking past the UA ticket counter at every airport I go thru waving my (AA, AK, WN, DL) boarding pass at them. I'm sure they'll wave back not understanding the irony.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
UA these sharp increases prove the point. MileagePlus was worth the bad service, selling upgrades to non elite. The main reason I still fly UA and haven't moved everything to WN was due mileageplus international awards. Now that it's gone, I really have no reason to fly you.

I hope Star Alliance fines you, today airlines like LH and ANA should be really upset at what you have done hear.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
UA giving the same generic response on Facebook as Twitter.

Maybe if you repeat something enough times, it MUST be true?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c
For Chase CSP/Ink cardholders, we should all complain. Maybe Chase will at least add transfer bonuses to UA. Suddenly MR much more appealing.
I just SM Chase from both my personal and business accounts, suggesting them to increase their transfer rate from UR points to United's miles. I hope everyone will do the same, please contact Chase.

Last edited by summerdayshopping; Nov 2, 2013 at 8:24 am
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by summerdayshopping
I just SM Chase from both my personal and business account, suggesting them to increase their transfer rate from UR points to United's miles. I hope everyone will do the same, please contact Chase.
I did the same, this is the reply I got:

"I understand your concern, however, this change has not
been initiated by Chase. The change has been made by
United and hence, I would request you to please contact
them directly with your concerns.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. If you
have any further questions, please reply using the Secure
Message Center. "
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
It's very easy to blame united here. And yes, some of the numbers are downright ridiculous so United absolutely take some blame.

However, there is an entire forum devoted to Manufactured Spending. The sole purpose of which is to educate people to put 10s of 1000s of dollars on their CC simply so they can fly F for free. No bleeping crap they did this. Whitecollar, legal swindling, that is. If I ran a company, I would do everything in my power to offset the float of miles that forum is creating.

You're telling me they - united - THEY gutted the program??? Please, look towards your FT cohort and point part of your finger at them. And yourselves.

And please, before you begin, I know not all of us engage in manufactured spending. But there are a motherload of folks on here that do.

And hey, if you're really upset, yeah, keep posting on FT. The internet protest generation. Do something substantive. Move spend to AA, cancel your CC. Or, you know, we're on page 39 now. You can aim for 200 and maybe that will make you happier?

Most sensible thing I've read in this thread. ^
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Collateral damage in the war with AA/US merger. More proof that to begin with you should ot allow these mergers.

UA is too big for it's britches. It has just gutted the one thing that almost everyone was defending their choice of UA.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by RNE
In conclusion, those who currently make the best use of their miles—people like you and me—are savvy enough to still get a lot of value from MP. Yes, it may take a little more effort or finesse to get the award bookings we want, but we'll do it. You'll see.
How???? I usually fly to southeast asia in F via partner's award (no UA flight there) for 140,000 miles and after Feb 1, it will require 260,000, almost DOUBLE the miles! This is just ridiculous! Don't ask me to drop F, traveling in F is the only reason I collect United miles. I just don't see any savvy way to get "a lot of value from MP" (I don't do domestic travel here)
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
It's very easy to blame united here. And yes, some of the numbers are downright ridiculous so United absolutely take some blame.

However, there is an entire forum devoted to Manufactured Spending. The sole purpose of which is to educate people to put 10s of 1000s of dollars on their CC simply so they can fly F for free. No bleeping crap they did this. Whitecollar, legal swindling, that is. If I ran a company, I would do everything in my power to offset the float of miles that forum is creating.

You're telling me they - united - THEY gutted the program??? Please, look towards your FT cohort and point part of your finger at them. And yourselves.

And please, before you begin, I know not all of us engage in manufactured spending. But there are a motherload of folks on here that do.

And hey, if you're really upset, yeah, keep posting on FT. The internet protest generation. Do something substantive. Move spend to AA, cancel your CC. Or, you know, we're on page 39 now. You can aim for 200 and maybe that will make you happier?
Chase pays UA for each and every mile that it doles out... only around .5 cpm as far as we can tell, but that is still easy revenue for UA, especially since many miles are never redeemed. UA is free to turn off this faucet any time it pleases.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I got the following confusing non-response from an e-mail to 1KVoice:
I don't see how the response was confusing. 1KVoice simply asked you to contact UA Reservations as, in the opinion of 1KVoice, they would be better able to address your question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.