Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
So is it safe to say if United had a product like SQ F worth spending for that this devaluation wouldn't be so rough? It seems the hardest hit are those that want Star Alliance flights. The reason to fly Star? More often is because they are better airlines than UA. I can understand certain instances like "UA can't get me to xxx" but for the most part their route network is solid enough to get you most places.

The devaluation is more damning only because the UA product isn't that great. If people REALLY wanted to fly United, the increases for United based flights aren't that bad.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by fahrradman
Understand. For those that don't value international *A F travel that much this is no big deal. However some of us had been sticking with UA through the recent issues because of *A F travel, AA and OW are now offering a better deal (for the time being). I'm moving over because AA is now offering me a better deal for what I want that UA. Nothing personal, just a better value for my travel spend for what I want.
I agree.
I had SFO-LAX-MAD-LHR on AA/IB/BA J for next September (couldn't get anything direct out of SFO on UA or AA from LAX) and was saving my MP miles for a 2015 trip to Japan (with *A partners).
With this news I will cancel my AA award (and pay $175 fee) and save these miles for CX/JL J to Asia.
Instead I am "dumping" my MP miles and booked SFO-YVR-YYZ-LHR on UA/AC for the 50K miles (AC Exec First suites on A333 & B772 shouldn't be too hard to take).
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fieldeng
The devaluation is more damning only because the UA product isn't that great. If people REALLY wanted to fly United, the increases for United based flights aren't that bad.
It's easier and cheaper for UA to penalize you for straying to better options than to actually offer competitive products.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by artemis
I'm sure there's some folks out there with entitlement issues. But I look at it from this perspective: if UA is going to devalue their ff program in ways that make it nearly useless to me (because there's no way UA is going to be releasing more Saver J and F space on their own metal to make up for the loss of partner availability), why should I bother dealing with UA at all? I can put my spend on a cash-back card and get something back that is actually useful, and when I want to fly internationally I can book a revenue business class ticket on another carrier that offers a superior product and avoid the hassles of booking award tickets entirely.

If UA wants to emulate Delta's SkyPesos, it needs Delta's level of hub captives and (more importantly) Delta's quality of service. Right now it doesn't have either.
Agreed. Mercifully I am not a hub captive (Chicago and NYC based). UA used to offer me a better deal for my spend because I like international F *A redemption for vacations. Now AA and OW are a better deal for me. Maybe AA will go the AAdvantagePeso route as well but for now they represent a better deal for me.

Originally Posted by smilee
This is terrible news.

I blame the power of a such a large super merged company to have the power to flex its muscles like this on the consumer. Just wait until the AA and US Airways merger, things are just going to get worse.

The US Government should do something about blocking such super large corporations.
Agree. We went for six to four flag carriers in the last five years. I'm quite glad the DoJ is fighting the AA/US merger as competition is good for consumers. Look to the failed AT&T/T-Mobile merger as a model. T-Mobile is now offering incredible deals right now to attract customers (great pricing, free international 2G roaming, very attractive international calling rates, no early cancellation fees). I hope the AA/US merger fails and AA takes the same customer friendly approach to survive and prosper.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I don't know which is worse:
This new UA award chart is a potential game-changer and will force many of us to re-evaluate our preferred carrier.
This is a game changer for me as well. AA and OW work for my travel pattern. I like the sheer number and variety of *A carriers, but now AA is a better value for me as I value international F travel on award redemption.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 2, 2013 at 2:02 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: KF G, UA 1K, SPG P, Marriott P, Hilton G, Wyndham G
Originally Posted by eddielam
One thing I want to point out

South Asia (HKG example) ✈ Australia/New Zealand: From 30K to 17.5K.

Am I looking it correctly??

While

South Asia ✈ Japan: From 15K to 22.5K... it is crazy!
Catch is NZ releases very few tickets... It's going to be really hard to get those routes
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG

My partner and I actually kind of like UA Intl. F. And yes we have flown LH, TG, SQ, ANA. But we are not "foodies" so often times we've gone a bit hungry on those airlines as we don't really like the gourmet food that much - only eating chicken and turkey limits you. The one thing I wish they would have done with the awards is allowed connection on *A as long as the longest/overwater segment was on UA. This mostly comes into play in Asia, for instance connecting on SQ from SIN to anywhere within Asia means that it bumps up the *A award, even if flying UA all the way from the US to SIN. In Europe I don't really care, as LH Business is hardly better than LH Y within Europe/Germany.

But I'll miss the Thai and SQ connections in C within Asia.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Know that I am cherry picking, but a flight to Tonga from North America is less now than in 2004.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
The fact remains that the miles are the hardest are earn and there is no program like Chase UR that allows one to freely transfer into AAdvantage.
Sure there is - Starwood Preferred Guest. Although it doesn't earn as much as the Chase cards do, it does give some bonus spend if you always transfer 20,000 points at a time.

And Citi (unlike Chase) still allows their cards to be freely churned, although the bonuses for opening a "new" card have dropped at bit.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Exactly. AAdvantage SAAver awards are easy to find and redeem with a little patience. Just booked LAXHKG First/NRTLAX Business for a mere 127,500 miles on the exact dates I wanted, and it only took about a week of smart searches.
I've had decent luck to date as well. Although ironically I just booked a one-way award to Europe using MileagePlus yesterday instead of AADvantage, because while I could get the AA Saver ORD-FCO segment I needed, I couldn't snag a Saver award for OMA-ORD! Still, if I hadn't been lucky enough to stumble on a perfect *A award ticket on the very first day I began to look, I'm sure I would have managed to get the award on AA eventually. Air Berlin was showing lots of availability, so I don't think I would have been shut out if I'd waited for the domestic leg to open something up.

(I envy those of you who actually live close to an international gateway city. No non-stop flights for me ever, and always at least one leg on a teeny CRJ.)
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by eddielam
One thing I want to point out

South Asia (HKG example) ✈ Australia/New Zealand: From 30K to 17.5K.

Am I looking it correctly??

While

South Asia ✈ Japan: From 15K to 22.5K... it is crazy!
Yes, for a South Pacific based flyer it is actually somewhat of a mixed change.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Some lyrics came to mind this morning:

Freedom's just another word for
nothing left to lose
nothing was all that [smisek] left me......
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:09 pm

The reason to fly Star? More often is because they are better airlines than UA. I can understand certain instances like "UA can't get me to xxx" but for the most part their route network is solid enough to get you most places.
Also because Star being by far the biggest of the alliances meant you were much more likely to FIND a Saver award (in any class of carriage) with them than with oneworld or SkyTeam. If UA isn't releasing Saver award space on their own metal on dates that work for your travel plans, it doesn't matter how much you'd like to fly their planes, you can't (unless you're willing to pay double miles for the privilege).
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), PriorityClub (Platinum), BA, AA, CO, Hilton Honor, SPG
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Yes, for a South Pacific based flyer it is actually somewhat of a mixed change.
I am thinking South Asia stopover Japan to Australia, roundtrip should only cost 35K after the change. Interesting.

But if you go South Asia to Japan roundtrip already cost 45K. It doesn't make sense.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:10 pm

SkyTeam does have very significant saver space too on Saudia, China Southern, China Eastern, China Airlines and also DL partner Virgin Australia.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
850+ posts in ~24 hrs

Definitely an active thread!

I'll add my two cents: the small chance of me switching back to UA from AA (considering my relocation to Colorado next summer) is now hovering around "cold day in hell."

As a former mid-tier PMUA elite flyer, I feel bad seeing such a great airline get "enhanced" by SMI/J. For similar reasons, I hope that the AA-US merger does not come to fruition. Lord only knows what 3-time DUI offender PAR/D would do to what's becoming the gem of the industry (again).
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
If we make the awards before 2/1/14 and then want to change the routing or dates of our flight, will changes to itineraries made before the cutoff remain at the level of original booking, or will changes to the itinerary trigger an increase to the new joke rates?
This was my thoughts too, I need to book 3 tickets to BKK next summer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.