Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA,DL,AA,Hilton,Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott,Taj, Shangrila
As a original in AA and UA frequent flyer programs circa early 80's, I feel the pain. Having been downgraded in the merger from executive platinum for life to gold but being able to add a partner (my wife has her own butt in seat million plus ) so no value there. The realistic conclusion is buy the seat! As all the carriers upgrade to flat seats it won't make a difference in loyalty. We are heading back to the basic price vs time vs value,and hopefully even going back to awarding actual flying passengers. I've got hundreds of thousands for my grandkids to use, but when I want to go where I want to go. I'll try once to use the miles then buy a real ticket from the airline who give me what I want, when I want, at the lowest price.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:45 pm

People, stop writing your complaints here. Contact united. Let them know.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
There was an article on Flyertalk earlier this week that Jeff may be on his way out. If we protest enough, we may help to push him out the door. All he thinks about is new planes.

What are the best ways to express our displeasure that count!

Hello AA!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
People, stop writing your complaints here. Contact united. Let them know.
They know. Have you visited Twitter? Type #unitedunfriendly and enjoy the show.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:59 pm
Suspended

How far in advance can you book rewards flights? I'd been planning a trip to europe in May using my miles - will I be able to book before Jan 31 and get the old rates?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Someone at USAir deserves a BIG FAT RAISE. US has been selling miles for nothing, causing LX to stop offering F awards and SQ to stop offering F and J awards.......UA now has no choice but to make such a ridiculous decision, which will surly cause another exodus of passengers, bad press, etc. And all this while US slips away into the night and moves to OW. The mileage sales from US are IMHO the biggest reason for such ridiculous redemption increases, and what is si fricking funny is US is leaving, and doing more damamge to UA then I could have ever imagined
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Someone at USAir deserves a BIG FAT RAISE. US has been selling miles for nothing, causing LX to stop offering F awards and SQ to stop offering F and J awards.......UA now has no choice but to make such a ridiculous decision, which will surly cause another exodus of passengers, bad press, etc. And all this while US slips away into the night and moves to OW. The mileage sales from US are IMHO the biggest reason for such ridiculous redemption increases, and what is si fricking funny is US is leaving, and doing more damamge to UA then I could have ever imagined
Wait, what?

US selling miles caused LX/SQ to restrict *A inventory, yes. How does affect anything UA was doing? While we don't know what *A airlines were paying each other for award seats, LX/SQ chose to not offer the seats at all rather than (presumably) raise prices, something that might be cause for UA to justify a partner devaluation.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Why do I get the feeling United doesn't want overentitled me anymore.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:13 am

I'm past mourning-relieved we cashed in our miles a week ago-and now trying to figure out strategy.

If we are stuck with UA only, how will we find availability for anything? I can only travel peak periods (got kids), am always looking for business class international, and finding seats was hard enough when partners were the same price! Should we double down on UA to hit its new requirements, betting the seats will somehow be there, or just give up on MP altogether?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
LAST STRAW..............GOOD BYE UA, HELLO AA. The Only reason I stuck it out this long with UA was for the F awards on LH. Id rather pay the fuel surcharges and take BA or just take CX to Asia. UA just took the ONLY reason I've stuck with them this long away
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'm surprised to hear you say that.. Have you considered expressing your through to Martin Hand? IIRC, you had the convo with him earlier in the year..
I am surprised too as you just have 20th anniversary celebration with MP.
I hope you can express your opinion to the high end as well.
After all, we don't have that channel.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by greggarious
How far in advance can you book rewards flights? I'd been planning a trip to europe in May using my miles - will I be able to book before Jan 31 and get the old rates?
That depends entirely on whether you can find a suitable award ticket before January 31 - and as a result of this announcement, I'd say your chances now are not good (since a lot of people now want to burn miles before the devaluation hits).
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
The mileage sales from US are IMHO the biggest reason for such ridiculous redemption increases, and what is si fricking funny is US is leaving, and doing more damage to UA then I could have ever imagined
I don't think the sharp increase in UA redemption levels is attributed to USair and its aggressive miles selling practice.

I think the reason behind all this mess is LH management, which is the obvious one to push UA to increase their mileage redemption levels to be in line to LH M&M levels and to stop those bloggers who brag about flying LH F class for $2K across the Atlantic and heading to the far east. LH is the DEVIL.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I just cannot believe it - couldn't United have done a simple 10% increase every year???
Of course they can't make it that simple, UA has a team dedicated to decimate MileagePlus and all elites.

I've spent all night looking for award space and destinations I plan to visit. Redeemed 5 tickets so far, all on *A J, still a few more to go...
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I don't think the sharp increase in UA redemption levels is attributed to USair and its aggressive miles selling practice.

I think the reason behind all this mess is LH management, which is the obvious one to push UA to increase their mileage redemption levels to be in line to LH M&M levels and to stop those bloggers who brag about flying LH F class for $2K across the Atlantic and heading to the far east. LH is the DEVIL.
What does this has to do with US and LH?
UA increases redemption rate in almost every category and all *A partners.
It's because of SMI/J.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014

And to think that all my reluctant visits to Walmart resulted in this lousy dividend..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.