Go Back   > > >
    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:42 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: aacharya
Wiki Link
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.


Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type canít change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin canít change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 1, 13, 11:54 pm   #886
  
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY, United States
Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k View Post
People, stop writing your complaints here. Contact united. Let them know.
They know. Have you visited Twitter? Type #unitedunfriendly and enjoy the show.
mnscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 13, 11:59 pm   #887
  
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 691
How far in advance can you book rewards flights? I'd been planning a trip to europe in May using my miles - will I be able to book before Jan 31 and get the old rates?
greggarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:03 am   #888
  
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dubai / NYC
Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Posts: 5,220
Someone at USAir deserves a BIG FAT RAISE. US has been selling miles for nothing, causing LX to stop offering F awards and SQ to stop offering F and J awards.......UA now has no choice but to make such a ridiculous decision, which will surly cause another exodus of passengers, bad press, etc. And all this while US slips away into the night and moves to OW. The mileage sales from US are IMHO the biggest reason for such ridiculous redemption increases, and what is si fricking funny is US is leaving, and doing more damamge to UA then I could have ever imagined
chinatraderjmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:08 am   #889
  
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, COdbaUA 1K, Hyatt Plt, Hilton GLD, SPG Plat50, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC, NEXUS/GE
Posts: 2,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
Someone at USAir deserves a BIG FAT RAISE. US has been selling miles for nothing, causing LX to stop offering F awards and SQ to stop offering F and J awards.......UA now has no choice but to make such a ridiculous decision, which will surly cause another exodus of passengers, bad press, etc. And all this while US slips away into the night and moves to OW. The mileage sales from US are IMHO the biggest reason for such ridiculous redemption increases, and what is si fricking funny is US is leaving, and doing more damamge to UA then I could have ever imagined
Wait, what?

US selling miles caused LX/SQ to restrict *A inventory, yes. How does affect anything UA was doing? While we don't know what *A airlines were paying each other for award seats, LX/SQ chose to not offer the seats at all rather than (presumably) raise prices, something that might be cause for UA to justify a partner devaluation.
FlyerChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:09 am   #890
  
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: iad/dca
Programs: UA Plat, MM, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Posts: 1,100
Why do I get the feeling United doesn't want overentitled me anymore.
iquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:13 am   #891
  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 160
I'm past mourning-relieved we cashed in our miles a week ago-and now trying to figure out strategy.

If we are stuck with UA only, how will we find availability for anything? I can only travel peak periods (got kids), am always looking for business class international, and finding seats was hard enough when partners were the same price! Should we double down on UA to hit its new requirements, betting the seats will somehow be there, or just give up on MP altogether?
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:22 am   #892
  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: US
Programs: AA/UA/DL
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
LAST STRAW..............GOOD BYE UA, HELLO AA. The Only reason I stuck it out this long with UA was for the F awards on LH. Id rather pay the fuel surcharges and take BA or just take CX to Asia. UA just took the ONLY reason I've stuck with them this long away
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
I'm surprised to hear you say that.. Have you considered expressing your through to Martin Hand? IIRC, you had the convo with him earlier in the year..
I am surprised too as you just have 20th anniversary celebration with MP.
I hope you can express your opinion to the high end as well.
After all, we don't have that channel.
pigx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:26 am   #893
  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggarious View Post
How far in advance can you book rewards flights? I'd been planning a trip to europe in May using my miles - will I be able to book before Jan 31 and get the old rates?
That depends entirely on whether you can find a suitable award ticket before January 31 - and as a result of this announcement, I'd say your chances now are not good (since a lot of people now want to burn miles before the devaluation hits).
artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:26 am   #894
  
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: LH, BA, AA, SQ, UA, HYATT, HH, IHG, SPG
Posts: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
The mileage sales from US are IMHO the biggest reason for such ridiculous redemption increases, and what is si fricking funny is US is leaving, and doing more damage to UA then I could have ever imagined
I don't think the sharp increase in UA redemption levels is attributed to USair and its aggressive miles selling practice.

I think the reason behind all this mess is LH management, which is the obvious one to push UA to increase their mileage redemption levels to be in line to LH M&M levels and to stop those bloggers who brag about flying LH F class for $2K across the Atlantic and heading to the far east. LH is the DEVIL.
NA-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:32 am   #895
  
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA-1K MM, A3-Gold
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
I just cannot believe it - couldn't United have done a simple 10% increase every year???
Of course they can't make it that simple, UA has a team dedicated to decimate MileagePlus and all elites.

I've spent all night looking for award space and destinations I plan to visit. Redeemed 5 tickets so far, all on *A J, still a few more to go...
hirohito888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:33 am   #896
  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: US
Programs: AA/UA/DL
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
I don't think the sharp increase in UA redemption levels is attributed to USair and its aggressive miles selling practice.

I think the reason behind all this mess is LH management, which is the obvious one to push UA to increase their mileage redemption levels to be in line to LH M&M levels and to stop those bloggers who brag about flying LH F class for $2K across the Atlantic and heading to the far east. LH is the DEVIL.
What does this has to do with US and LH?
UA increases redemption rate in almost every category and all *A partners.
It's because of SMI/J.
pigx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:33 am   #897
  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: FL
Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Posts: 497
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014

And to think that all my reluctant visits to Walmart resulted in this lousy dividend..
lacuadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 12:47 am   #898
  
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 161
I haven't been in the travel game very long, but between this and the Hilton devaluation earlier this year, I sometimes wonder if it is worth bothering with.

United, I have 4-5 RT business flights from NYC-HKG coming up the next few months (I am writing this in HKG airport). Time to switch to American/Cathay Pacific. I am kissing *A goodbye. I was willing to sacrifice comfort for the benefits of the Mileageplus program, but now I have no reason NOT to fly Cathay Pacific back and forth.

My 140,000 mile redemption earlier this year would now be 260,000. Ridiculous.
alexj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 1:02 am   #899
  
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: LH, BA, AA, SQ, UA, HYATT, HH, IHG, SPG
Posts: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexj7 View Post
I was willing to sacrifice comfort for the benefits of the Mileageplus program, but now I have no reason NOT to fly Cathay Pacific back and forth.
It is the right decision for you. UA J class is rubbish when you compare to CX and the mileage devaluation it is trash right now.
NA-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 13, 1:24 am   #900
  
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York City
Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Dia
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
It is the right decision for you. UA J class is rubbish when you compare to CX and the mileage devaluation it is trash right now.
I am in the same boat and always flew UA for the miles, now bye bye UA and hello CX where you can credit AS which at least for now has very reasonable redemption levels. Also the service and seat on CX blows UA out of the water and the food is marginally better too (oh and the lounges are no contest). Sometimes the cost might be higher on CX but my company pays and I now have zero reason to give UA about $7500 worth of business every 6 weeks.
sjmoss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top