Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
If you live in a gateway sure. But try getting to the gateway on a saver award. It's getting to be as bad as Delta. And that's my point.
+1

Out of BOS, UA relies on partners so my awards are LX LH. Connecting to a UA flight to Europe stateside can be tough and will get tougher as demand is about to skyrocket.

UA Insider -- Why didn't UA add an off-season partner award price? That might have helped offset this bad news just a little. My last 4 LX winter flights had 25% empty J cabins.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
This is so incredibly frustrating, and the whole argument that hey it's not so bad because United GF wasn't so badly devalued is good at face value until one realizes that it's United GF.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
I quit...no more UA...the question is will the other *A partners follow the lead
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jfk747
Copa cpu upgrades gone
Where do you see that? I was under the impression that CPUs on Copa ignore the chart.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
This really devalues Chase UR. Might be switching back to an MR-based earning scheme now. MR -> Avios with bonuses and MR -> AC might be a better option going forward....
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jfk747
Copa cpu upgrades gone,Intra asia cpu upgrades gone.
Really?!? Is this part of the mileage devaluation too?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:24 pm

I guess MP doesn't want to hear it.

Code:
<[email protected]>... User not known (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Received after using the Contact Us page on their site.

Last edited by rrgg; Nov 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
weee, just burned majority of my miles for a trip in December, treating everyone in family to business class, f it. =)

I dodged a big one thinking about transferring over 300k UR points to United just last week.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
For Chase CSP/Ink cardholders, we should all complain. Maybe Chase will at least add transfer bonuses to UA. Suddenly MR much more appealing.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AirD0c
For Chase CSP/Ink cardholders, we should all complain. Maybe Chase will at least add transfer bonuses to UA. Suddenly MR much more appealing.
I was saving up my UR points for an anniversary trip - other than UA, maybe it is time to try out Korean Air or VA's upper class.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by AirD0c
I raised a stink with Chase today. The frontline rep didn't seem to know much about it which means MORE PEOPLE NEED TO CALL.

The problem is UR was the perfect program (almost... no transfer bonuses). It had a good domestic partner to transfer to that didn't charge YQ on any awards, and they had a generous referral mall that allowed quick racking up on points.

Amex really has neither, but at least AP and ANA's charts aren't that bad, and to be totally honest the YQ is rarely THAT bad -- usually about 50% the coast of a Y class ticket.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:33 pm

Would be nice if AA pulled a fast one and made AAdvantage redemptions better just to stick it to United.

Dreaming, I know.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti
For India, I'm curious about how it will work trying to get to cities other than BOM or DEL (where UA flies) -- fly UA saver business/first to BOM/DEL and then to another city in India on a partner in coach sounds like it would work.
Wait, UA has mileage redemption partners intra-India?

I thought I had to get to DEL/BOM then buy separate tickets with cash to get around the country.....
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
multi-quote

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
and to be totally honest the YQ is rarely THAT bad -- usually about 50% the coast of a Y class ticket.
Which is about 40% too much.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Wait, UA has mileage redemption partners intra-India?

I thought I had to get to DEL/BOM then buy separate tickets with cash to get around the country.....
Jet Airways?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
I may have missed it in the 48 page long thread, but UA also seems to have messed up upgrade policies for Northern South America. After Feb 1, CPUs are no longer applicable, RPU's and GPU's cannot be requested after today (November 1st). So, does this mean that you can never get upgraded unless you purchase that class fare, even with upgrade instruments like RPUs and GPUs? And no co-pay exemption for Premiers. What should we do then?
I think they are trying to get their policy aligned with what they currently have in place for LIM. Now whether they update service to BF is another story...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.