Wiki Posts
Search

Saver awards to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Saver awards to Europe

I need to fly from MIA (but can position to virtually any point in the US) to Brussels (but will be happy with CDG, LHR, AMS, FRA) on January 3-5. There was a very nice option with SQ+LH from NYC, but unfortunately it is gone.

Given your experience, how are my chances that 30000 miles saver award would open up in near future? Or once it is gone, it is gone?

Thank you for your input!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:26 pm

I was looking at a BF Saver Award to Brussels from EWR in December. It doesn't matter what day I check there are no saver award travel in BF! Just for the hell of it I even checked other months and it's the same thing... I only find saver awards for coach and even then it's not every day
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by olm022
I need to fly from MIA (but can position to virtually any point in the US) to Brussels (but will be happy with CDG, LHR, AMS, FRA) on January 3-5. There was a very nice option with SQ+LH from NYC, but unfortunately it is gone.

Given your experience, how are my chances that 30000 miles saver award would open up in near future? Or once it is gone, it is gone?

Thank you for your input!
It sounds like you are very flexible both in your departure and you arrival city which is always great when looking for award seating; I assume you are looking at coach award since you are looking at 30K miles.
I would say that you just need to keep looking; The first week of January is high season - right after New Year - but I find that availability changes.
Look frequently and don't limit to the East coast, include some midwest or southern cities;

I just checked and found FLL-Berlin on 1/5/13 but in Business for 50K
May be worth spending another 20K if you have it;

Last edited by keisari; Sep 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm Reason: new information
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
This is a tough one, I would not count on anything opening up so you'll have to be creative. TK has IAD-IST open on 1/3 and 1/4, it's a bit out of the way but you can get to FRA non-stop or to BRU with a connection on LH. This goes 40% over MPM so it may not work (CO used to be lenient and it's the same engine; US might also work if you have their miles) . If you can only do IAD-IST then RT IST-BRU is about $250. And AC has YUL-BRU on 1/2 and 1/6.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robbert
This is a tough one, I would not count on anything opening up so you'll have to be creative. TK has IAD-IST open on 1/3 and 1/4, it's a bit out of the way but you can get to FRA non-stop or to BRU with a connection on LH. This goes 40% over MPM so it may not work (CO used to be lenient and it's the same engine; US might also work if you have their miles) . If you can only do IAD-IST then RT IST-BRU is about $250. And AC has YUL-BRU on 1/2 and 1/6.
Thank for you for suggestion. Would this routing be a valid one for 30000 miles: IAD-IST (layover under 24 hrs) IST-FRA-BRU? On the webpage when trying to book it as multi-segment, I get error message....
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
I looked around and the best spot I could find for space going to Europe was Air Canada departing YUL.

They actually have a few seats open on the Jan 2nd direct flight but I was not able to find a way to connect from MIA to YUL. And on the 3rd they have a few seats going to CDG.

Good luck,
Nissan
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for your comments. Particular thanks goes to robbert for having suggested to explore TK as an option. At the end, I booked IAD-IST-FRA-BRU for a mere of 42 USD.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by olm022
Thank you, all, for your comments. Particular thanks goes to robbert for having suggested to explore TK as an option. At the end, I booked IAD-IST-FRA-BRU for a mere of 42 USD.
Thank you, I'm glad that worked out for you. And good to know that we can still fly many more miles than actually 'allowed' for the city pair.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Lots of Summer BF and GF Saver availability SFO-LHR

This morning I accidentally searched for 8(!) award tickets SFO-LHR and the calendar showed green for pretty much all of July and August in both directions. I booked 3 saver tickets on non-stops in BF SFO-LHR and GF LHR-SFO. If you are looking for BF or GF seats for the summer, you might want to jump on this. I've been looking off and on for the past two months and this is a real change.

Last edited by lexdevil; Nov 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Thanks for the tip - hopefully there will be R availability too! Now, my challenge is to just to plan that far ahead!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Seems true of FRA. My guess is lots of summer Europe availability now. The 8 seats thing is baffling. Do they ever release that many award seats at a time? Any chance this is an error?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Thanks for the heads up. Got myself locked in with a family trip in July. Availability has been spotty for three seats on the same flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.