Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Seems the website is having issues right now. Every search gives out this message: "united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or contact United Reservations in United States at 1-800-300-1547." even though I know the routes I looked for have space 100%.
I've tried logging out & in and the issue still persists. I'm guessing they are updating it right now..
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by xxmwxx
Seems the website is having issues right now. Every search gives out this message: "united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or contact United Reservations in United States at 1-800-300-1547." even though I know the routes I looked for have space 100%.
I've tried logging out & in and the issue still persists. I'm guessing they are updating it right now..
That sounds smart. I'm guessing many more people book tickets in the middle of the night than 10:30am Monday morning.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lisa2926
I need to book MEL to PVG, it should be down from 50K to 40K one wa businessy, but it seems still old chart
So book it. They have already said they will refund the difference for flights that cost less under the new rates and are booked after Feb 1, so unless you don't actually have 50K miles in your account then you're good to go.

Originally Posted by cruisr
Crazy. 10:00am est and still old prices showing. Maybe they changed their mind? UA is like the gang that couldn't shoot straight. I just dated myself with that line.
Crazy how? They deliberately delayed it until a weekday - do you really think they would start charging the new rates at Midnight on that weekday? It largely defeats the purpose of moving it to the 3rd. 10am EST is only 9am in Chicago - give people time to get into the office, have their morning coffee, and then click the magic button.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:33 am

Mon 2/3- trying to use UA website to book award travel- is the website down?
Really lame
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I'm getting the following error message when I try to pull up an itinerary I modified early this AM

! We were unable to review the latest information for this itinerary.
Great
FDW
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:44 am

website down award ticket option

Anybody know why?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Probably they are in the process of upgrading the website software to reflect the new prices
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:45 am

I guess I got in just under the wire. Booked LH F IAD/FRA next week for 67,500 miles about an hour ago.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
I guess I got in just under the wire. Booked LH F IAD/FRA next week for 67,500 miles about an hour ago.
Congrats... getting in under the gun!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by JetAway
Did you receive a ticket number e-mail?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yup, keep getting this for a variety of search options. Ugh.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Definitely seems to be in progress. Anything outside the US and Canada gives an error message. At first I thought some were already in place, but then I realized there was always a discrepancy between partner and UA flights for <700 miles (10k vs 12.5k OW).

What that means is that they already have the code to be able to differentiate between partner metal and UA metal and now are just expanding it for all distances and routes. Not an easy task for sure, but not as monumental as I had originally thought since they've done it before.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:13 am

This is really happening. United.com award chart is updated.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:20 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
UA.COM award search down for all int'l itins.

Like many of you, I booked lots of awards last night. Even Y to Asia (RGN positioning next winter in anticipation of a CTA dismissal of LX appeal of RGN R3 rulings...muahahah! ). I'm not sure which ones I'm really going to use but they all ticketed correctly so now I can survey them at my leisure.... when the dust settles. Might take longer than they thought.... my head spins to imagine the chaos on UA 1K/MP call lines right now.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
This is really happening. United.com award chart is updated.
Is the booking engine back online? Too bad I have only a few hundreds miles left :-) :-) :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.