Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
To do that he would have to think like Whole Foods and not like Safeways.
Not Safeway but Wal-Mart. Long lines, unhappy low-paid line staff, shoddy product mix.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Waste of time. Petitions do nothing. Take meaningful action.
  • Pay to fly other airlines and mail the boarding passes to Smisek's office.
  • Cancel your Chase cards and make sure Chase knows why.
  • Obtain status matches with AA, etc. and mail evidence to Smisek's office. Enclose your current UA elite-level MP card.
  • Redeem all your MP miles as quickly as possible in a manner that costs UA maximally (e.g. partner premium awards).
  • Raise awareness in the office and with seatmates on planes, etc.
That is all.
Cancel Chase - absolutely! ^
Redeem MP miles for high value awards - definitely! ^

Abandon UA? Not an option for everyone nor am I convinced there are better alternatives within the USA. However I am certainly going to take a close look at other *A programs to see if there is one that offers better elite perks and comparable EQM. So far I have't found one but there are a lot to review. You have to weigh the few remaining meaningful 1K perks (fee waivers, GPUs, E+) against the value of banking miles in another program. LH Senator is great but difficult to achieve. I also refuse to participate in any program where my miles automatically expire on a certain date (e.g. AC, no extension regardless of activity).

Similarly I am not sure I would want to raise awareness generally until after February 1. Don't need more miles chasing saver award seats prior to DDay. And for those of us who still earn most of our miles by BIS flying there may be a bit of a silver lining if this drives the card churner bloggers away from UA. Again fewer miles chasing premium awards.

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 7, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:11 pm

Waste of time. Petitions do nothing. Take meaningful action.

• Pay to fly other airlines and mail the boarding passes to Smisek's office.
  • Cancel your Chase cards and make sure Chase knows why.
  • Obtain status matches with AA, etc. and mail evidence to Smisek's office. Enclose your current UA elite-level MP card.
  • Redeem all your MP miles as quickly as possible in a manner that costs UA maximally (e.g. partner premium awards).
  • Raise awareness in the office and with seatmates on planes, etc.

That is all.
Agreed. But, I think it would be useful to create a petition that gets sent to the right contacts at FTC and DOT asking them to look into these devaluations from a regulatory perspective.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Abandon UA? Not an option for everyone nor am I convinced there are better alternatives within the USA. However I am certainly going to take a close look at other *A programs to see if there is one that offers better elite perks and comparable EQM. So far I have't found one...
I heard you, and I know booking away from UA is a logistical burden for some. But I do thing UA management believes if they see you continuing to buy and fly UA you're not that upset. All they really understand is revenue pressure.

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Agreed. But, I think it would be useful to create a petition that gets sent to the right contacts at FTC and DOT asking them to look into these devaluations from a regulatory perspective.
Potential problem with a petition is, you try everything you can via social media and muster maybe 4,000 or 5,000 signatures, max, and UA can still laugh in your face. There's tens of millions of MP members. Put in perspective, this is an elite concern, like Bentley owners complaining about blemishes on their chrome, and the raw numbers might work against us or make us look pathetic.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
The intra Asia changes don't seem to have taken effect yet? United.com still has the old rules and it seems to be still possible to upgrade under the old rules even thought the new rules are supposed to have come into effect Nov 1?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Anyone get the survey email from Chase this morning? Think it has anything to do with the devaluation?

The questions are listed below. Unless noted, each question involved a 1-10 scale :
  1. Would you recommend your UA credit card to a friend or colleague?
  2. What is the primary reason for the score you just gave us? {open text field}
  3. Would you recommend UA to a friend or colleague?
  4. How would you rate your overall experience with you UA credit card?
  5. Given your overall experience with your UA credit card, how likely are you to consider Chase for your other financial needs?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:47 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Boraxo
NHowever I am certainly going to take a close look at other *A programs to see if there is one that offers better elite perks and comparable EQM. So far I have't found one but there are a lot to review. You have to weigh the few remaining meaningful 1K perks (fee waivers, GPUs, E+) against the value of banking miles in another program. LH Senator is great but difficult to achieve. I also refuse to participate in any program where my miles automatically expire on a certain date (e.g. AC, no extension regardless of activity).
I did a cursory look around the *A and didn't see anything worth switching to, especially if most of your flying is domestic out of SFO. While you can get domestic lounge access as a *G (easy to get on A3), consider no E+ on UA, YQ on awards (?), seemingly expensive award charts from North America (though perhaps not as bad as the new UA *A chart). And worst of all, some airlines have jacked up anomalies for earnings on UA -- like 0% on P fares on UA for A3 members! I admit I did not review every airline, but I feel like a diamond in the rough would have been long ago uncovered on FT.

I might instead just switch over to VX...still mulling it over.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I heard you, and I know booking away from UA is a logistical burden for some. But I do thing UA management believes if they see you continuing to buy and fly UA you're not that upset. All they really understand is revenue pressure.
Agree, so the way to do this is by hitting MP, which is a cash cow for UA. Don't credit RDM to UA, instead credit to another program and UA will have to settle with them. Redeem on *A now (that costs UA money) Redeem on UA now (that deprives UA of revenue, particularly for C international seats) and fly paid tickets on other *A carriers.

Personally I think there are millions of sheep holding Chase cards that won't notice or care, so not clear if a few thousand cancellations will matter.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:56 pm

Potential problem with a petition is, you try everything you can via social media and muster maybe 4,000 or 5,000 signatures, max, and UA can still laugh in your face. There's tens of millions of MP members. Put in perspective, this is an elite concern, like Bentley owners complaining about blemishes on their chrome, and the raw numbers might work against us or make us look pathetic.
I'm not sure if that's true or false, but let's say it's true. End of day, there's only one action each of us can take that really makes sense: Stop giving money to this company. I move on without this business relationship, and direct future spend to other airlines. I've already started that behavior this year, and will accelerate that behavior next year. Dropping from 1K to PP was a big deal. Dropping from PP to Silver was also a big deal. Now, there's not much left. Just burn my miles and be done with it. At this juncture, I'll basically never fly COdbaUA again except where they are the only direct option. 2014 will be the year of mile burning. 2015 will be the year of kayaking. If $mi$ek gets the boot, and a customer-friendly management team starts making some customer-friendly changes, I'll have another look. Until then, it's over.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Check here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-partners-495/

and here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...013-event.html

However, it's a steady devaluation (or "enhancements" - as LH likes to put it) at LH which has caused UA to follow involuntarily earlier and now voluntarily - after they have seen what LH has done...
From what I can see, they reduced the mileage earning on the less expensive economy class tickets. You get what you pay for. I don't see that as raping the program.

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I'm not sure if that's true or false, but let's say it's true. End of day, there's only one action each of us can take that really makes sense: Stop giving money to this company. I move on without this business relationship, and direct future spend to other airlines. I've already started that behavior this year, and will accelerate that behavior next year. Dropping from 1K to PP was a big deal. Dropping from PP to Silver was also a big deal. Now, there's not much left. Just burn my miles and be done with it. At this juncture, I'll basically never fly COdbaUA again except where they are the only direct option. 2014 will be the year of mile burning. 2015 will be the year of kayaking. If $mi$ek gets the boot, and a customer-friendly management team starts making some customer-friendly changes, I'll have another look. Until then, it's over.
^
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:53 pm

Put in perspective, this is an elite concern, like Bentley owners complaining about blemishes on their chrome,
HVF, redefined!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
The intra Asia changes don't seem to have taken effect yet? United.com still has the old rules and it seems to be still possible to upgrade under the old rules even thought the new rules are supposed to have come into effect Nov 1?
For travel booked after 2/1/2014.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti
No time to waste, spend those miles soon
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Subj

Canceled my Chase Explorer card today and let Chase know why I did. Rep on other side told me that 'yaah, we are getting number of cancellations and complaints from customers regarding this situation'.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
^
Originally Posted by invisible
Canceled my Chase Explorer card today and let Chase know why I did. Rep on other side told me that 'yaah, we are getting number of cancellations and complaints from customers regarding this situation'.
^ you should have asked for a retention bonus, burned that then cancelled
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by abaheti
But the sticky post says 11/1/2013 for intra-asia upgrades ... and as far as I can tell they haven't gone into effect yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.