Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
While the general IT IMO is a failure, no one can say it hasn't been an improvement to be able to book more *A carriers on the site for award tix.

But of course, as we can see that was very much a Pyrrhic victory, as once it became easier to book said flights, all of a sudden UA realized that it was costing them a lot more and thus created this split, over-inflated award chart for *A carriers :-:
Actually an interesting point you are making...
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
The initial summary is somewhat misleading. It says changes to the award miles on partner travel. In fact award miles has changed for travel on UA metal also.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by dsquared37
C'mon. Are you saying that 70% of a cabin is UA members or that 70% use miles for OAL?

Either assertion is baseless but I'm just trying to understand.
What I mean is that redemptions by UA members in premium cabins are mostly on other carriers (and not UA). I did not mean that 70% of a given F cabin are UA award redemptions.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by hyho61
The initial summary is somewhat misleading. It says changes to the award miles on partner travel. In fact award miles has changed for travel on UA metal also.
First time heard that UA awards are changing - what are changes? do you mean the Asian and SA changes? or are there others?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
First time heard that UA awards are changing - what are changes? do you mean the Asian and SA changes? or are there others?
Sure, just for example, USA to Hawaii on UA has gotten more expensive (45k instead of 40k for an economy saver award). USA to Middle East, South Asia, North Asia, and Japan all also went up slightly (on all-UA trips). Lots of changes in here.

There is also no more "10,000 miles for a domestic stopover on a domestic round-trip award", but I don't think I have ever used that or know anyone who used it.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fanjet
And back then, how much money was Delta making? How much was a barrel of oil? And Delta's devaluation back then had to do with the real-time elite benefits. Like the inability to upgrade from the lowest fare buckets. Even with the upcoming award changes with Mileage Plus, it will still be a better redemption program than the "saved" Sky Miles program. Go to their website and try to book a J award ticket to Europe ( I picked J class because there are no F awards to Europe). See if you get one at the 100K level (which btw becomes 125K in June). You'll see that basically the 185K award is the de facto award level. Which is more than Star@140K or UA@115K.
Things have gotten better with DL and I'm doing way better on getting DL TATL award availability in business class for way less than 185k roundtrip. VS becoming a redemption option using DL miles has helped quite a bit so far.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by username
I wonder what happens if you change your MileagePlus ticket after departure (e.g. change the departure date of the return or continuing segments). Would the ticket be re-fared and you have to pay the difference?
I haven't gotten around to calling UA and asking yet. When I wrote to 1KVoice last weekend with this question, I got a response from MileagePlus saying that they were refusing to answer my question and that I should call a phone reservations agent to get the answer. See their non-response at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21713197-post922.html
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:55 am

For these recent changes, I am going to dump all UA cards after 1 year of membership.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:49 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Things have gotten better with DL and I'm doing way better on getting DL TATL award availability in business class for way less than 185k roundtrip. VS becoming a redemption option using DL miles has helped quite a bit so far.
Searching DL for NYC-SIN regularly brings up J options at ~350k R/T. Gross.
But, with UA "taking a page" out of DL's playbook (somewhat; one can do UA all the way NYC-SIN, but why?), comparing mileage costs will be sobering starting 02/2014.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:09 am

Can someone please start an on-line petition at http://www.change.org/petition
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
Can someone please start an on-line petition at http://www.change.org/petition
Waste of time. Petitions do nothing. Take meaningful action.

• Pay to fly other airlines and mail the boarding passes to Smisek's office.
  • Cancel your Chase cards and make sure Chase knows why.
  • Obtain status matches with AA, etc. and mail evidence to Smisek's office. Enclose your current UA elite-level MP card.
  • Redeem all your MP miles as quickly as possible in a manner that costs UA maximally (e.g. partner premium awards).
  • Raise awareness in the office and with seatmates on planes, etc.

That is all.

Last edited by BearX220; Nov 7, 2013 at 11:50 am
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by BearX220
Waste of time. Petitions do nothing. Take meaningful action.

• Pay to fly other airlines and mail the boarding passes to Smisek's office.
  • Cancel your Chase cards and make sure Chase knows why.
  • Obtain status matches with AA, etc. and mail evidence to Smisek's office. Enclose your current UA elite-level MP card.
  • Redeem all your MP miles as quickly as possible in a manner that costs UA maximally (e.g. partner premium awards).
  • Raise awareness in the office and with seatmates on planes, etc.

That is all.
+1

My thoughts exactly. Things will only change if people "vote with their feet"
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Searching DL for NYC-SIN regularly brings up J options at ~350k R/T. Gross.
But, with UA "taking a page" out of DL's playbook (somewhat; one can do UA all the way NYC-SIN, but why?), comparing mileage costs will be sobering starting 02/2014.
Don't rely on delta.com, and don't take Delta metal (well, you can, partner airlines ONLY offer saver inventory so there's no chance of seeing numbers like that when using them).

Those sky high rewards bait the suckers out there, but anybody who reads the DL forum here knows how to avoid them.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by moondog
Don't rely on delta.com, and don't take Delta metal (well, you can, partner airlines ONLY offer saver inventory so there's no chance of seeing numbers like that when using them).

Those sky high rewards bait the suckers out there, but anybody who reads the DL forum here knows how to avoid them.
SkyMiles suck big.

But I do manage to get low C awards once in a while. It just takes lots of efforts.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not so sure about that...by FTers? For sure. By "regular" elites? I bet it's much less.

Part of this whole problem it's the strength of booking *A carriers online...it's definitely greased the wheels post-3/3/12 for many folks to book Star carriers who didn't have KVS/EF. So UA has done it to itself basically.
The amount of non-FT elites who don't even know they can redeem on partners is staggering. It's hard to believe that a community as small as FTalk accounted for so much redeeming that UA needed to change the rates to save $.

Originally Posted by Tiki
Very cool! I found the Star Alliance one. https://web.archive.org/web/20051215...d_chart_v2.pdf BMI, Spanair & Varig were still members then. Australia to the US was a bargain 60k in Y, 90k in J, 120k in F.
My god, look at the size of the European zone.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.