Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 757-200 (16 lie-flat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has two versions of 752's with lie flat seats. This version flies internationaly trans-Atlantic flights from the east coast, especially to closer cities in Ireland/Great Britain, premium transcontinental service (p.t.s. or aka PS), some Hawaii flights and occasional hub to hub flights. There are 16 BF seats, 45 E+ seats, and 108 E seats.

16/153 75b https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-75b

--- FIRST
Row 1 has wider footwells but 3" shorter bed length.
Seats 1E/1F may be slightly darker and quieter than 1A/1B, which are more susceptible to galley lights and noise.

--- ECONOMY
All economy seats share power (2 outlets per 3 seats), and have VOD screens in the seat back.

Exit row seats are Row 7ABC, Row 20, and Row 21. Row 20 seats have limited recline. Row 7ABC has "unlimited" leg room, although there's an FA jumpseat facing those seats (probably out of reach of anyone but the tallest person).

Row 8DEF are bassinet seats and also a bulkhead. There is an additional ~6" cut out at the bottom of the bulkhead for extra leg room.

Row 10A and F and 11A and F are missing a window (you get one next to the seat, but not towards the seat back of the row ahead).

for the other 752 aircraft, see Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (28 lie flat seats)

Slimline version

16/160 75s https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-75s

-- ECONOMY

Exit row seats are Row 7, Row 20, Row 21, and Row 22. Seats 22A and 22F have "unlimited" leg room. Entertainment screen is housed in arm rest. Row 22BC and 22DE have about the same leg room as an E+ seat. These seats do recline.

Row 10A and F and 11A and F are missing a window (you get one next to the seat, but not towards the seat back of the row ahead).
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 757-200 (16 lie-flat)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Just flew one of these IAH-EWR on saturday in 1F. OOF....I'm 6"1, but had to have my legs bent when the seat was reclined. When the seats go into bed mode, the seats don't go "back". They slide down, reducing leg room significantly. Pretty disappointing.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wrong thread. The 752s are all lie-flat.
I think that is an accurate description of the experience in 1F on the (lie-flat) 752, actually. (?)
DanDaddan208 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
I think that is an accurate description of the experience in 1F on the (lie-flat) 752, actually. (?)
Slides down instead of reclining? Sounds like the new domestic F seat to me.

The functionality of the F seat on the 752 is the same as every other B/E Diamond in the UA fleet.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The functionality of the F seat on the 752 is the same as every other B/E Diamond in the UA fleet.
Yes, 'slides down' is not the phrase I would choose, but in bed mode 1F is shorter than other of the lie-flat seats, although while lounging legroom is not impacted, which I think was the main point. Anyway, perhaps BThumme can clarify.
DanDaddan208 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, 'slides down' is not the phrase I would choose, but in bed mode 1F is shorter than other of the lie-flat seats, although while lounging legroom is not impacted, which I think was the main point. Anyway, perhaps BThumme can clarify.
It's technically shorter, but with the larger footwell it's IMO still better than any non-bulkhead on the aircraft. These seats are just too short, period.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's technically shorter, but with the larger footwell it's IMO still better than any non-bulkhead on the aircraft. These seats are just too short, period.
I think you are right and that is the majority opinion, although personally I will choose non-bulkhead. For people just at about 6' height, that technical inch becomes quite personal.

(I assume BThumme meant 6 feet 1 inch rather than 6 inches 1 smething.)
misterfuss likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Wrong thread. The 752s are all lie-flat.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...eatmap-10.html

I think you are right and that is the majority opinion, although personally I will choose non-bulkhead. For people just at about 6' height, that technical inch becomes quite personal.

(I assume BThumme meant 6 feet 1 inch rather than 6 inches 1 smething.)
You assumed right

I'll try and rephrase. It was definitely a 752, bird N57111. I went out of my way to fly it, as I've never been on a 752. I chose 1F because it was supposed to have a larger footwell. I had previously flown a 789 a couple hours earlier, so here's what I'm trying to say. On the 789, when you put it in recline/bed mode, the seat goes "back" as it starts to flatten out. On the 752, it didn't (at least in 1F). It basically pivots around the center of the back rest as it flattens out. That's where I was getting the phrase "recline" from. So as a result, it almost takes away space.

As a bigger guy, it really felt cramped in the corner there. Even at a slight recline (between the normal position and bed position), I had to have my knees bent a little because my feet were pressed against the footwell.

Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Flying EWR - MAN (UA80 757-200) later this month and i've just done the $550 + 20,000 miles offer to go from K to biz first. My first time taking up one of these offer. Did I get a good deal?

From reading this thread I've selected seat 1F for the extra leg room. I'm 6' 3" and plan to sleep most of the flight. Did I choose the best available seat? Other options:

1E, 1A, 3A , 4F & 4D

Thanks
Hey @EWRMAN - did you end up in 1F? At 6'3, you would have definitely noticed.

Last edited by BThumme; Dec 10, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:34 am

You assumed right
Thanks for clarifying.
I'll try and rephrase. It was definitely a 752, bird N57111. I went out of my way to fly it, as I've never been on a 752.
I can't endorse that decision
I chose 1F because it was supposed to have a larger footwell.
It does have a larger footwell.
I had previously flown a 789 a couple hours earlier, so here's what I'm trying to say. On the 789, when you put it in recline/bed mode, the seat goes "back" as it starts to flatten out. On the 752, it didn't (at least in 1F). It basically pivots around the center of the back rest as it flattens out. That's where I was getting the phrase "recline" from. So as a result, it almost takes away space.
It's the exact same seat as the 789, with the same recline function. The space is defined by the shell, not the recline function. The 789 has more space between the shells. This is acknowledged by UA, which lists 789 bed length as 78", 752 as 76" (which is a lie).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:02 pm

Confused by United Airlines

Hi.
We are trying to book LAX-BOS. Trying to book UA 824. When trying to book, it has a Tab for economy and First. When i click First, it provides a seating map that identifies the front 4 rows as United First. But when I tried to view pics here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx.

In above link United identifies the front 4 rows as United Polaris Business Class and it seems like the exact same plane.

So not sure if I book First as per United site, will we be in First or Polaris Business class?

Thank you
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lindalogan
Hi.
We are trying to book LAX-BOS. Trying to book UA 824. When trying to book, it has a Tab for economy and First. When i click First, it provides a seating map that identifies the front 4 rows as United First. But when I tried to view pics here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx.

In above link United identifies the front 4 rows as United Polaris Business Class and it seems like the exact same plane.

So not sure if I book First as per United site, will we be in First or Polaris Business class?

Thank you
Polaris Business class is not offered on any domestic route. You'll get the nicer seat, but otherwise it's the same domestic first class service you'd get on any other United flight.

They offer Business class -- not Polaris -- on LAX-EWR, SFO-EWR, and SFO-BOS, which includes the use of the United Club and some upgraded bedding, but does not include the rest of the Polaris amenities or the Polaris lounge. They call it their Premium Transcontinental offering. It is not offered on LAX-BOS.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Polaris Business class is not offered on any domestic route. You'll get the nicer seat, but otherwise it's the same domestic first class service you'd get on any other United flight.

They offer Business class -- not Polaris -- on LAX-EWR, SFO-EWR, and SFO-BOS, which includes the use of the United Club and some upgraded bedding, but does not include the rest of the Polaris amenities or the Polaris lounge. They call it their Premium Transcontinental offering. It is not offered on LAX-BOS.
Hi JSLOAN
Thank you.. When you say the nicer seats, will they be the "pod" type that fully recline? And will there be a private video screen for my seat?
Lastly. will I be able to send and receive texts?
Thank you very much
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi JSLOAN
Thank you.. When you say the nicer seats, will they be the "pod" type that fully recline? And will there be a private video screen for my seat?
Lastly. will I be able to send and receive texts?
Thank you very much
Yes; lie-flat seats with a private video screen. There's no in-flight messaging included in the seat, but WiFi is available on all mainline United flights, so if you purchase the WiFi you can do so.
lindalogan likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:43 pm

Yes; lie-flat seats with a private video screen. There's no in-flight messaging included in the seat, but WiFi is available on all mainline United flights, so if you purchase the WiFi you can do so.
thank you as I really need to text my kids while flying

Jsloan
I forgot, sorry, Can you keep your carry on under your seat? I found this video on youtube. Please let me know if this is the same one. It could help others as well.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2018 at 7:06 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hi.

Thank you
I like the title of your post: "Confused by United Airlines".

Two years and a half of flying United and I'm still confused.

I saw your last question: No, the carry-on has to go in the overhead bin. For take-off and landing. The rest of the time it can be out.
jsloan and lindalogan like this.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Dec 10, 2018 at 5:54 pm Reason: Add Information
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:50 pm

Can you keep your carry on under your seat?
Yes, the space under the footrest is approved storage. It's not a large space. You can fit a purse or medium sized backpack.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jsloan
I forgot, sorry, Can you keep your carry on under your seat? I found this video on youtube. Please let me know if this is the same one. It could help others as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tOkB2adNpM
Yes, that's the same plane. There's room for a small item under the footrest. I have a backpack-style laptop bag and I put it above my seat on this model. This thread likely has some examples of what FAs have allowed and what they haven't -- if it sticks out far enough to be noticed, it'll likely need to be put up for takeoff and landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.