Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: UA
Make sure the expert mode box didn't get unchecked.
chavala likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2023 at 2:44 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by angetenar
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...e-back-30.html

Make sure the expert mode box didn't get unchecked.
It's checked, and when the page draws it looks like the space is there for it and it just fails. For a hot second you can kind of tell that it tries to display the alphabet soup.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It seems to be working again
Spoiler

Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I had this same issue this morning. Booked a flight at 7am and it was on. Got to work and looked on my work computer and it was off. Now this afternoon, it's back on.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 10:28 am

Knock on wood, but this seems to have fixed itself. I was having to opt-in after every cancellation or booking it felt like, but haven't had to do so in over a week.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Clemson
Knock on wood, but this seems to have fixed itself. I was having to opt-in after every cancellation or booking it felt like, but haven't had to do so in over a week.
And.... mine "unchecked" just yesterday. Seems to be very random!
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:37 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by wxguy
And.... mine "unchecked" just yesterday. Seems to be very random!
data point: mine too. annoying!
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I had to opt back in (and add my KTN back in too) but it seems to be sticking.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Expert mode seems to deselect itself or just not work randomly for me as well. Sometimes the box is checked so I’ll uncheck and check and then it works. Very annoying….is it because I use a Mac
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somehow my expert mode has continuously stayed selected, thankfully. However, what is quite odd is I found my KTN had fallen off of an upcoming reservation for next month. My redress number was still there, and I don't save either KTN / redress to my profile, so I know that I had added them both manually to the reservation.

Posting here since others reported simultaneous trouble with both.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by VRFast
Expert mode seems to deselect itself or just not work randomly for me as well. Sometimes the box is checked so I’ll uncheck and check and then it works. Very annoying….is it because I use a Mac
I use a mac and mine has stayed checked for quite a while now.
SPN Lifer and mikeyf like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by angetenar
I use a mac and mine has stayed checked for quite a while now.
Same here -- and then two days ago it smehow ended up de-selected without my having made any changes. I fixed it, but it seems this hit me, too.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
something is really broken with expert mode. it has been getting disabled for me at least once per week, and today twice on the same day. hoping they fix it shortly
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My expert mode was disabled again, I have to manually enable it under settings. This is the second time within last 3 months.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by gokeeper
My expert mode was disabled again, I have to manually enable it under settings. This is the second time within last 3 months.
Same here, just reset mine yesterday, I almost think they don't want you to use it.
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.