Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:31 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I want to give you an update on the changes to our united.com Expert Mode feature. By now, most of you know why we made the change we did: Displaying this level of information to all customers was causing significant confusion and questions.

We remain committed to providing information that makes your travel planning experience better, but there is a difference between a feature like Expert Mode -- which is understood by a select set of customers, and new features we’re developing like upgrade status visibility -- which is more easily understood by all customers. I’m happy to say that, as a direct result of your feedback, we have worked hard to accelerate a couple solutions that accomplish this goal.

Within the next two weeks we will:
  • Introduce improved upgrade status visibility for all customers. As many of you have seen in our preview site, this feature makes it easier for customers to review their upgrade status on flights for which they have waitlisted for an upgrade, as well as check Complimentary Premier Upgrade eligibility and status. This feature is the direct result of your feedback and will be available to all customers when viewing their reservation on united.com
    Update added as post #267 on 9/21

• Re-launch of Expert Mode as an opt-in feature. We will re-introduce the ability to view fare-class level information (a.k.a. Expert Mode) to customers who choose this setting in their online MileagePlus profile. This will enable the same level of fare class detail previously displayed to all customers. I’ll post the details about how exactly to configure this setting once it launches
    Update added as post #327 on 9/24
Like you, we wish we could have made these changes concurrently. That said, we appreciate your patience over the next couple of weeks while we roll these out. Thank you as always for your feedback.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
That's great that Expert Mode will be re-enabled (opt-in or otherwise). Any time frame when you anticipate that will be available?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
WOW. You guys listened to customer feedback and responded appropriately. This is a great step forward, both in terms of functionality and in gaining trust back from those of us who felt burned by the removal.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Thank you for this update.

Regarding the re-launch of expert mode, will the visibility of fare-class level information be limited to revenue buckets, or will that also include award and upgrade buckets? If just the former, that won't resolve the issue of currently not being able to check upgrade/award availability prior to making a reservation. If the latter, that would be great!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Fantastic news!!

Now, wouldn't it have just been easier to plan things out and announce this concurrently with the change a week ago?

Regardless, thanks for pushing this through and letting us know!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Great news that visibility will be back for upgrade status and fare class. Now if only the upgrade process could be fixed, I still have (slim) hope that it'll happen one day.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Thanks for addressing this Shannon and also making a separate thread as it would likely be lost in the other one
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
This is one of the best Friday news for a long time!

Thank you for listening to your customers. ^^
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
will the visibility of fare-class level information be limited to revenue buckets, or will that also include award and upgrade buckets?
I read it as including award / upgrades, but if I am wrong, then UA truly missed the boat here. I'm hopeful.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
This will enable the same level of fare class detail previously displayed to all customers.
I'll wait and see.

Dave
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Shannon, I'm not sure if you did this or other execs saw the thread, but thanks to everyone at UA that stepped back, listened to your customers and made a sound decision. ^

ETA: Will upgrade and award availability be made available to KVS and EF?

Last edited by njcommodore; Sep 14, 2012 at 9:44 am
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Kudos to UA for listening to their customer base.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Continental
Thanks Shannon!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:44 am
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Thanks. This is good news.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Shannon, I'm not sure if you did this or other execs saw the thread, but thanks to everyone at UA that stepped back, listened to your customers and made a sound decision. ^
+1, this is very encouraging.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
EXCELLENT. UA actually listening to customer feedback and react in a customer-friendly manner.

Now, if only we could bring back availability on EF (perhaps EF could work out a licensing agreement with UA to utilize the data?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.