Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I the only person who hasn't had expert mode disabled randomly at some point?

Hope I don't curse myself. Feeling quite fortunate!
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
ETA: somehow it got unchecked in my profile. Checked it and we’re all good. Very random!
Thought it was just me. Web hasn't been showing buckets but app has had no issues.

Just checked and mine was unchecked also. Have re-checked the Expert Mode setting.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:04 pm

Just checked mine and my expert mode was unchecked AND my KTN was deleted.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
My Expert Mode was deleted, reset by me and it's gone again. No clue what UA is doing to the back-end but it's F'ing up a lot of us I guess. So far my KTN hasn't been touched, thankfully.

-RM
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yup - mine has gotten unchecked twice over the last couple of weeks or so. Annoying, but once I re-check, seems to work again…until it happens again.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yup - mine has gotten unchecked twice over the last couple of weeks or so. Annoying, but once I re-check, seems to work again…until it happens again.
Yep - like a box of chocolates for me too -- you never know when you log in what you are going to get.... UA randomly lost my wife's KTN yesterday --I guess we are just used to it....
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Okay - so I read this thread and the wiki and I can't manage to reinstall expert mode. Can anyone help me with what to do? The steps from the wiki seem from a previous incarnation of united.com. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA
From the homepage: view my united > settings > special preferences and accommodations > scroll down to date and time preferences, then enable expert mode
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by angetenar
From the homepage: view my united > settings > special preferences and accommodations > scroll down to date and time preferences, then enable expert mode
Done! Thank you so much!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 7:34 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
My Expert Mode was deleted, reset by me and it's gone again. No clue what UA is doing to the back-end but it's F'ing up a lot of us I guess. So far my KTN hasn't been touched, thankfully.

-RM
Mine has been deleted/turned off multiple times a day for the past few days. I might be jinxing the UA.bomb gods by using multiple devices...? Quite frustrating.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 5:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Just checked mine and my expert mode was unchecked AND my KTN was deleted.
Now I have to check my KTN. My expert mode was deselected sometime on or after Feb 1st so had to go in and select it. Seeing no fares on the app is a red flag.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Clemson
Expert mode has been getting unchecked repeatedly on me. Like, over a dozen times in the last week. Seems to happen after I cancel or make a booking, though I haven't done any experimentation to confirm. Kind of annoying since I can't re-activate it from the app and have to either access the website on my phone or a computer.
actually you are onto something. I cancelled a booking just now and then the buckets just disappeared when I started a new search in the app. I checked and it was toggled off (again) on .com.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Expert Mode gone again?

So, last night expert mode was working fine...today, not so much. I've tried two browsers and a third in incognito mode and no dice. Anyone else having an issue or is it localized to my office?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jcg20
So, last night expert mode was working fine...today, not so much. I've tried two browsers and a third in incognito mode and no dice. Anyone else having an issue or is it localized to my office?
Working fine for my daily "hunt for PN inventory to be able to push through my B fare upgrades" as of 2 minutes ago.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks Marky. It's working on the app, just not the web. I guess I'm in the app today!
MarkyMarc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.