Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:35 am

It's been doing this intermittently for months...
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Recurring problem. Annoying. Nothing new.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:41 am

The expertise wore off
Old Jun 8, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by mogi67
The expertise wore off
LOL
Old Jul 1, 2023, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Yet again...clicked purchase on a ticket on United.com and lost expert mode. This is really annoying. How they even programmed the website to do this is beyond me.

I get the feeling that United.com is trying to save something to our profile every time we book a ticket and expert mode is not preserved through the update.

-RM
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Yet again...clicked purchase on a ticket on United.com and lost expert mode. This is really annoying. How they even programmed the website to do this is beyond me.

I get the feeling that United.com is trying to save something to our profile every time we book a ticket and expert mode is not preserved through the update.

-RM
I think it's this exactly. There's a save to mileageplus profile toggle during booking on united.com and i think if you uncheck that, expert mode setting won't be overwritten
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and surram like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by leftysauce
I think it's this exactly. There's a save to mileageplus profile toggle during booking on united.com and i think if you uncheck that, expert mode setting won't be overwritten
Great idea -- I'll have to look for that tggle when I purchase another ticket later this week. I bought another ticket yesterday (without bothering to check for expert mode) and today expert mode is not selected.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by leftysauce
The last step in the ticket purchase process on United.com is the option to enter a mobile number/email for day of flight notifications, and I see it blank every time I purchase a ticket and I fill that and hit “Save to Profile”.

So, there are actually two bugs:
1. That mobile number should not be blank as it is in my Profile already
2. Expert mode variable being reset (probably a global variable re-initialization issue?). Poor coding and poor buddy review process of code before release 😢

Worst, this simple fix has not been done for months on end…wonder how lax the ITSM standards are 😢😢
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 8:45 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
I am having trouble getting expert mode back. Can someone let me know where to click and check?
Old Jul 12, 2023, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nyr2299
I am having trouble getting expert mode back. Can someone let me know where to click and check?
Instructions in wiki
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by nyr2299
In your account, go to "View My United". Then, choose Settings-> Special Preferences & Accommodations -- it's near the bottom f that.
SPN Lifer and FlyfromDenver like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
problem solved.

Last edited by DFWFairy; Jul 26, 2023 at 7:57 pm Reason: Moved to ExpertMode thread
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Since dropping to Premier Gold, I am unable to activate the expert mode. Is this normal?
No

When you say "unable to activate the expert mode", does this meaning you can not select the option in your profile??
Many of us need to re-enable ExpertMode frequently, as discussed in this thread.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA
Even when it shows the fare class, is it correct? I saw the ticket is sold as V, but expert mode shows V0. It happens for many other tickets too.

Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fattygoose
Even when it shows the fare class, is it correct? I saw the ticket is sold as V, but expert mode shows V0. It happens for many other tickets too.
yes that is correct,
see United Continuous Pricing Pilot
read the wiki for a summary
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.