Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:17 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
My KTN remains sticky to my account, however, I have been re-enabling Expert Mode consistently. Just adding a supporting data point to recent reports.
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I made a reservation on the website this morning and everything was fine with Expert Mode, however, when I went to look at some other flight possibilities, EM was gone. As usual, had to into Preferences and reset it. It was weird that it happened while I was still on the website.
It happens to me multiple times a session, since about 2 weeks ago. It's a real bummer.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Glad this thread is here to explain that it's not just me. The setting seems to hold for a few days, then the fare buckets disappear. At least I now know how to fix it easily.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Today I logged in to the website and did a search, expert mode on, and fare buckets appeared. I then immediately did a second search and fare buckets were not displayed -- I checked the settings and the option was unchecked. Sheesh.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by wxguy
Today I logged in to the website and did a search, expert mode on, and fare buckets appeared. I then immediately did a second search and fare buckets were not displayed -- I checked the settings and the option was unchecked. Sheesh.
Happens to me all the time now. Sigh.

Others upstream may have already mentioned it... I have found that 100% of the time EM is disabled, my "Home Airport" preference is also erased. So weird that they're connected somehow (or that this bug has connected them).
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I'm back to having to toggle expert mode back on every time I search... this is getting annoying.
marks88 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: Continental
United recently wiped out both my expert mode and known traveler number!
Found out at the airport that I didn't have precheck.
Nice going!
Naldo1984 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockey7711
United recently wiped out both my expert mode and known traveler number!
Found out at the airport that I didn't have precheck.
Nice going!
Mine has "stuck" since the last time I had to re-enter my KTN and re-select Expert Mode. However, my home airport preference seems to change based on which computer I'm sitting at, despite my profile saying IAD and business class (e.g. I log in at work, and I get DCA and economy as the defaults).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I spent a good part of today finding flights for next week that I wanted to take with PZ availability. Reference the other consolidated upgrade thread with the multitude of PZ flights I found for Mon Apr 24. Expert Mode remained on the whole time.

I finally booked my ticket and paid for it. Went back into multi-city search to use different O/D airports as I was curious what that fare would be. Expert Mode was GONE. I didn't logout between sessions as I was still logged in from the previous one when I purchased my ticket about 3 minutes earlier.

So for me Expert Mode appears to get disabled when I actually purchase a ticket. At least today. Just a data point.

-RM
Xyzzy and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I was doing a lot of searches on Sunday and in the middle of my session all of a sudden it disappeared and I had to go back to my profile and reset. This happened all day long (I was researching quite a few flights). I did not notice if it linked to a booking. But it managed to hit my tolerance limit and I wrote to 1Kvoice yesterday.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
For the life of me I cannot find where to select expert mode on the app.
Where the heck is it?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 11:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
For the life of me I cannot find where to select expert mode on the app.
Where the heck is it?
MY UNITED, Settings, Special Preferences & Accomodations -- scroll down a bit to "Enable expert mode"

For future reference, it is in the thread's wiki
Old Apr 21, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
MY UNITED, Settings, Special Preferences & Accomodations -- scroll down a bit to "Enable expert mode"

For future reference, it is in the thread's wiki
On the App?
That's how I do it on the desktop version (I know because I have to re-set it daily!).
But on my iPad, after Settings there is no link for "Special Preferences & Accommodations". I see Face ID Settings, Push Notifications Settings, and Security Settings.
I've been looking for days and feel like I'm losing my mind.

edit to add: I just figured it out. You have to go to the desktop version first to select expert mode, then click the OPEN link directly from that version that takes you to the App.
If you close down the desktop version and open the APP separately - it doesnt work.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by chavala; Apr 21, 2023 at 10:14 am
Old Apr 22, 2023, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just happened to me again. Been searching a lot of flights lately and this morning after a lot more searches I booked a ticket. Expert Mode disappeared as soon as I did that. For me that's consistent now....book a ticket, expert mode is gone. Have to go back into my profile and reset it.

-RM
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just happened to me again. Been searching a lot of flights lately and this morning after a lot more searches I booked a ticket. Expert Mode disappeared as soon as I did that. For me that's consistent now....book a ticket, expert mode is gone. Have to go back into my profile and reset it.

-RM
Same for me, it disappears when I book a ticket and I have to reset. Kind of a pain, also a disincentive for me to book UA tickets, so maybe UA has incentive to fix it?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
The continual need to go into my account settings every couple of days to reactivate expert mode is starting to get very irksome. I do realize this is very much a first world problem but none the less I am really annoyed! Thanks for letting me vent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.