Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:08 am

This is getting ridiculous. Started getting expert mode unselected around February. Re-enabling lasted for a month, then a few weeks. Now it's multiple times a day it has to be reselected, seemingly whenever I have to log in.

I have added a bookmark to my browser now of the settings page where the setting is. Now I will just click on it after logging in to double check and re-enable:

https://www.united.com/en/us/account...es?accordion=0
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, EWR764 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by brc01
This is getting ridiculous. Started getting expert mode unselected around February. Re-enabling lasted for a month, then a few weeks. Now it's multiple times a day it has to be reselected, seemingly whenever I have to log in.

I have added a bookmark to my browser now of the settings page where the setting is. Now I will just click on it after logging in to double check and re-enable:

https://www.united.com/en/us/account...es?accordion=0
Great idea!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
My expert mode has been dropping regularly as well. The first time, it took me a while to realize what went wrong (and it's hard to fix from a mobile device). Appreciate the prompt to check KTN....
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:21 pm

Expert Mode option unexpectedly changed to NO from YES

I can confirm that the UA Expert Mode option in my profile recently reverted to NO from YES. I had to re-CHECK the setting to restore fare bucket display in both the app and website. UA Web tech support seemed unaware of the issue, but offered to report it.
I encourage affected users to be watchful and re-CHECK the option just in case UA is trying to see how many users are actually using this very valuable feature.

Last edited by DaveWM_SFBay; Mar 22, 2023 at 6:33 pm Reason: Added text
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
Reinforcing the above. My expert mode drops daily, sometimes hourly. The bookmark is a good idea.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
OK, it's not just me ... that, at least, is good to know.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:53 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Was disabled recently. Re-enabled. No rhyme or reason.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:13 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Mine got unchecked/disabled again. Not sure why the setting isn't "sticking." It's fine for a few days, then I have to go in and check it agian.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Where can we report this? Maybe if everyone starts bombarding them with calls and emails someone will pay attention? It’s gotten very frustrating
Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
Where can we report this? ...
On most pages there is a Site Feedback button

exerda and chavala like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Mine also got unchecked. I re-enabled, and EM now working on the website. Not working on the app, however. I've closed the app multiple times, and even rebooted my iPhone.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Mine also got unchecked. I re-enabled, and EM now working on the website. Not working on the app, however. I've closed the app multiple times, and even rebooted my iPhone.
Have you tried signing out and back in on the app? That sometimes fixes it for me.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Clemson
Have you tried signing out and back in on the app? That sometimes fixes it for me.
I've even tried deleting and reinstalling the app! Now it won't let me sign back in

I guess this is what I get for singing the praises of UA's IT in various threads.

ETA: Finally got in through a different path, and EM is back.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Android app has been working for me with no issues, but website recently stopped showing fare class availability. Went into settings, and like many others, found it was unchecked. I rechecked it and website is working normally again. App continues to work as normal, no impact from the website setting being unchecked. I see others above have had issues with the app on iOS. Maybe it's a Android vs iOS thing?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 11:27 am

I made a reservation on the website this morning and everything was fine with Expert Mode, however, when I went to look at some other flight possibilities, EM was gone. As usual, had to into Preferences and reset it. It was weird that it happened while I was still on the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.